Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Outlook not sending mails

• 30-12-2005 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I'm using outlook express 6 and i can reveice emails but not send them, I'm using NTL broadband, and i think there is a setting i have to change in the mail set up,

The out going SMPT is set on 25, incomming set at 110.

does anyone know if they are right or know what i should have there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Your smtp server set to 'smtp.ntlworld.ie' ?

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

are you running a firewall, is it allowing traffic in to the port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

sorry just to add i'm not taking the mail from NTL my mail server is mail.davidstokes.com i have both incloming and outgoing mail set to this,

as for a firewall. only windows own firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

NeVeR wrote:
    sorry just to add i'm not taking the mail from NTL my mail server is mail.davidstokes.com i have both incloming and outgoing mail set to this,

as for a firewall. only windows own firewall.

Leave the outgoing server: smtp.ntlworld.ie (Port 25)

Karoma wrote:
    Leave the outgoing server: smtp.ntlworld.ie (Port 25)

why?

my mail is on my own server not NTL's

• Advertisement

Your smtp server may be preventing relaying (It's unusual) but either way NTL's smtp server should do the trick..
    Did you try it? why did you bother asking..? pfft

also, try: telnet mailserveraddress 25

ya i did try it , didnt work,

whatabout telnet'ing?

i dont know what you mean by telnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Telnet is an Internet protocol that allows the user to connect to a remote computer. So what Karoma was suggesting to do was to try and telnet or make a connection to your mail server. If you can connect then the problem lies with outlook. If you can't, then either your pc is blocking attempts to access remote servers on port 25 or the remote host is not accepting connections on port 25.

To do this test:

Start->run->cmd.

At the command prompt type "telnet mail.davidstokes.com 25" (exclude the quotes)

If it works you should get something like:

220 -- Server ESMTP (Sun Java System Messaging Server 6.1 HotFix 0.04 (built Sep 29 2004))

If you get "Could not open connection to the host" then the connection failed. If this happens try telneting to ntl smtp ("telnet smtp.ntlworld.ie 25"). If that fails too then your PC is blocking attempts to connect to remote hosts. If it works then the problem lies with the davidstokes.com server.

Have you any anti virus installed? Have your tried disabling it?

• Advertisement

i have attached an image of what i get,

looks like it works but my server doesnt allow it,

I dont have any anti virus installed apart from what microsoft has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

ok u're def able to connect to the server ok. so not sure why u can't send mail.

Maybe try following the steps here: http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html
    and see what happens.

And windows doesn't come with any anti virus software. So you should install some. AVG is good and it's free: http://free.grisoft.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

did it work with OE before you used NTL?

Perhaps the server requires authenictaion for SMTP?

yea everything worked before. i just re-installed windows. so i lost any settings i had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

give this a crack anyway, Under OE:

Tools\Accounts\Mail account in question\select properties

Server Tab, near bottom you will see a "My Server Requires Authentication", tick the box, click settings and try "use same settings as incoming mail server"

might sort it for you

no that didnt send them,, starting to wreck my head now, no idea why it wont send,

OK: does it give an error message,or just hangs or takes a while..?
    Did you make any changes or reset the router by any chance? (am not ruling possible "blackhole router"..even if it is unlikely)Is it a wired or wireless connection?

Presumably you've tried creating a new profile, or 'reinstalling' outlook express?

Give Mozilla Thunderbird a shot:)
    Even if just for TS'ing purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Can you ping the mail server from the command prompt?

Also did you recently move your domain or change hosting companies? It could be a DNS issue.

Advertisement