Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

players you have met

• 30-12-2005 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how many of you have stories to tell about famous players and meeting them. The nearest I can relate is having a kick around with roy keane but that was when he was at cobh ramblers and i didn't even know who he was...just my cousin was playing with them and brought me to a training session.

Apparently steve gerrard is meant to be impossible to approach which kinda grates. Let me know your stories anyway...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My friends mothers friend is good mates with Packie Bonner so she organised it for me and my two friends to have breakfast with Packie Bonner and Jack Charlton in the Burlington hotel in 1995. That was great stuff talking to those two for about an hour about the world cups and stuff.

Also have met Paul McGrath loads of times as I play for Dalkey United which is one of McGraths ex clubs, its the club he signed for St. Pats from. He comes down to the club a good few times so have met him plenty.

Met loads of other players for few seconds or whatever but that doesnt really count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Well as a Cork City fan Ive met a good few of the team.

And if you were in Malmo, you probably sang with them too.:v:

Served Paul MacGrath breakfast when working in Silversprings.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Met most of the United team back in 1998/9, very sound bunch of lads. Had a good chat with Henning Berg, seemed pretty pissed off that he wouldn't be playing. :D

Beckham was probably the soundest of the bunch, he signed autographs for pretty much everyone there.

I was sitting beside Tommy Docherty at the United vs. Spurs game in the last league game of the 98/99 season too. Sound man! He was absolutely ecstatic when United won. I had a fiver on with him that United would win 2-1 and true to his word he payed up! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Met Ruud van Nistelrooy,Nicky Butt,Ole Gunnar Solskjaer(soundest bloke you'll ever meet)Denis Irwin,Henning Berg(also a very nice fella)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Met Paul Parker and Les Ferdinand as part of a soccer school back in the early 90's.
    Hit a penalty about 6 ft over the bar yet Parker was kind enough to go "ooooh, unlucky mate" Lovely bloke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met Jack Charlton and Paul McGrath both pure gents, took time to stop and talk for a while, especially McGrath I was talking to him about Villa for about half and hour. I was delighted too because he always was my idol so to meet him and for it to go so well was like a dream come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Pighead wrote:
    Met Paul Parker and Les Ferdinand as part of a soccer school back in the early 90's.
    Hit a penalty about 6 ft over the bar yet Parker was kind enough to go "ooooh, unlucky mate" Lovely bloke

Your ****:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Met Wes Brown over in Manchester while in a reataurant on Valentines day this year. They beat Man City the day before, sound out guy. Met Pakkie Bonner twice and Paul McGrath twice too aswell i think. Dream Team back year or two ago 2, not all of them were there tho. It was a charity match against Limerick legends on in Thomand Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

It happened the Chelsea team were traing accross the road when I went to Tenerife back in January '99. Zola walked by me at first but he signed an autograph after the session. Le Saux was a gent. Paddy Coal was at the stadium aswell!
    I haven't held a conversation with any footballer yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I have met the whole italia 90 team, friend was team Hairdresser and good friends with Ronnie Whelan so met him and Steve Stanton before a game in their hotel room. But best was playing doubles snooker with George Best against Eamon Dunphy and Ken Doherty in the Perriot Club on Bacholors Walk.

I also met the Liverpool team in 95 in tolka park, I was sitting beside Finbar Flood who was director of shels and talked to him during the game as I recognised him off 'world cup forum' show by rte during 1994 w/c. He brought my mam and myself into the bar in tolka after the game he was chuffed that a 15 year old knew him!

So I guess I have been quite lucky,

Oh and won a coaching weekend with Peter Beardsley and Neville Southall in 92 on 98fm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do packie bonner and Paul Mcgrath ever go out without each other? Everyone who has met one has met the other.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Stekelly wrote:
    Do packie bonner and Paul Mcgrath ever go out without each other? Everyone who has met one has met the other.:)

Actually didnt meet him, but did see Packie Bonner walking down Grafton Street one day with Noel (err.....cant remember his name, Kerrs number 2, baldy guy). No sign of the Black Pearl with them

Edit
    ** Noel O'Reilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Met El Hadji Diouf in Tesco, Liverpool when we went n a school trip. He was shopping with his ma, all the lads went over and got photos and autographs, while his mum tried to find some cheap tinned peas. Of course, me and my mate didnt bother him, coz we thought he was a scumbag...Fair play to him, though, he didnt spit at any of us - seemed to look at my mate and me, and wonder why the rest couldnt be like us!!

Ps, we got the last cookies, so not annoying seemed to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Met Brian McLaire when I went to Old Trafford in 1996, the wasn't the most outgoing of people.
    Met Roy Keane a couple of years ago at his book signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Met Niall Quinn in 2002 after I won a trip from Tesco's for one of the Matches in Japan. Was a photo shot for Tesco's for advertising out in Airport Hotel the night before they jetted off to Saipan. He was a lovely chap, very personable had plenty of time to chat to everyone. Traitor boy was there as well. He looked like he had a lot on his mind (like stabbing his team mates in the back!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

gandalf wrote:
    Traitor boy was there as well. He looked like he had a lot on his mind (like stabbing his team mates in the back!).

Why even bring this up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭radiospan

Cue 7 page R*y K***e thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Met Pakie Bonner at a celtic festival in athenry a few years back..that's a great session btw...some of my bro's mates met paul mcgrath drunk...in a pub...on his own...in town...he even tried to follow them to a club and they had to tell him to go away..kind of sad really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Met a good few after the Kevin Moran testimonial when I was a kid. I was an avid Rovers fan so it was great to get the chance to meet Alan Shearer, Henning Berg and Stuart Ripley.

Have talked to Neil Ruddock twice in town as well. He's regularly over.

Of the Irish players, all I've ever met were Niall Quinn and Mark Kennedy. None of them topped meeting Eoin McLove from Fr Ted though :)

My mate, who's an avid 'Pool supporter, went to the Amsterdam tournament a year or two ago and has some great pictures of himself with Liverpool players and the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Funniest was Frank Stapleton.

Local bookstore was opening on a Saturday morning in December 90 (or was it 92?), and had Frank in signing his new book - World Cup Diarys I think.
    Saturday came, and it was one of the worst days I can ever remember.... dark, cold, windy and lashing rain.
    Meself and my sister still braved all and made it to the shop.... and we were the only ones there!
    Poor Frank was in the corner of the shop with his bottles of Ballygown on the table. Got the book signed and had a quick chat "eh... you're cool!" (I was only around 11).
    We headed out of the shop, and still no one else was around.
    Two lads then passed by, one wearing an Ireland top.... "jaysus look mate!! It's Stapo!"
    They went next door to Lifestyle Sports and bought a cheap Ireland football and got him to sign it... and never bought the book!
    Frank left after that! :D

Others I've met are:
    Most of the Irish squad from 98 (they were walking up Grafton St on a Tuesday before a friendly)
    Brian Robson - boot (yup, boot not book!) signing in Arnotts years and years ago
    Eric Cantona - when he was around filming that ad for Euromillions
    David May (Man Utd defender from a few years back..)- used to live next door to a cousin
    Robbie Keane - met him coming out of Genius behind BT
    Mick McCarthy - book signing for "Captain Fantastic".
    and a lot of Sheffield Wednesday plays when I'd go over for games.

And I was in the Burlington Hotel the time the Faroe Islands stayed there for the last last year.... beat that!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

gandalf wrote:
    Traitor boy was there as well. He looked like he had a lot on his mind (like stabbing his team mates in the back!).

For a person who went so ****ing OTT when moderating the soccer forum, you certainly know how to stir **** up don't you? What an immature, pointless, troublemaking comment.

Met Fabien Barthez and Dwight Yorke in Powerscourt Centre on South William Street about 5 years ago.

My mate met most the Brazil team when they played Ireland over here. He still to this day has 1 up over me because he met Ronaldinho, my absolute idol.

I saw Paul McGrath shopping in Cornelscourt with his bitch when I used to work there years ago. Nothing major really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

went to school with Andy Reid. Graham Barrett is from up my way.

ah crap!!

edit: oh i met Kanu and Finidi George when I went on a school tour of the Feyenoord stadium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Earliest memory was David O Leary in 1985 in Ballygunner when he presented me with a medal and trophy. Then grew up to meet all the teams that Waterford United played inc the old First Division Champions Man Utd at that time, still have all the autographs and the game on vhs. Other teams Bordeaux (Tigana and co.), QPR, Forest, Arsenal, Man City and too many to mention.

Then of course Norwich, Mike Walker asked me to go on the team bus with them to and from the ground when they played Kilkenny. Keith O Neill brought me along and was brilliant to meet the players at that time, all thanks to Alfie Hale.

Then going over and back I've met countless players and abused plenty of opposition players and have a bit of banter with a few. Then the pleasure of meeting Delia Smith who told me I was mad for travelling over home and away to all the games. Leon McKenzie presented me with a signed shirt, all the players know me personally and Ashton had to sign my shirt when he saw me wearing it, took the marker from one of the girls and said "Here Irish, I'll make the shirt worth more than what you paid for it. But if I see it on Ebay you're in trouble". Pretty sound fella.

Way too many players and teams I've met and stories to go along with them but handy when your dad is in the know with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Met the Irish team before a game a few years back.

Brian Kerr watched one of my games and I was introduced to him afterwards by a mates dad who was setting up a business with him.

Met Roman Abramovic after the Ireland-Israel game this year.

Jason Byrne, Richie Baker and Glen Crowe shop where I work the odd time. Declan Geogeghan works in Clonsilla/Maynooth train stations. Met nearly all of the current Shels team at some stage or other.

Fran Benali in Inchicore many moons ago.

Thats all I can think of really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

cheesedude wrote:
    I saw Paul McGrath shopping in Cornelscourt with his bitch when I used to work there years ago. Nothing major really...

And you have the balls to call me immature, pot...kettle...black !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'll define "met" as having a few words with someone for at least a minute or so and shaking their hands:

Bobby Charlton, Pat Crerand, Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain, Brendan Bradley, Johnny Giles, Peter Shilton, Roy Keane, Pierre van Hooijdonk, Willy van der Kerkhof, (Eamon Dunphy, if he still counts as a footballer!), Mark Lawrenson, Kevin Moran, Jack Charlton, Patrick Kluivert, Robbie Fowler, Damien Duff

there may be a few others if I rack my brain.

So, no Pele, Maradona, Cruijff, Ronald o/inho, G.Best?, etc ....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

players "seen" - all the united team last week, took pics with scholes and wes browne

players "met" -
    have talked to claudio ranieri, met him after a game, lovely man
    niall quinn was staying in a hotel the same as me, had a big conversation with him in the residents bar one night,talked about everything bar saipan, was so tempted though!
    had a brief hello and hows things to peter crouch about 3 years ago, seemed a decent fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I used to play Gaelic on the same team as Kevin Moran.
    It was a long long time ago.
    We were in the same class in school, James St. CBS.

I did have dinner with George Best once. I'll never forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have met most of the bolton team.

Gary Speed was very nice. He was carrying his suits and bags and he put them down for an autograph and picture.

Joey O'Brien and his parents.

I have also met Charlton and Mcgrath but not at the same time but in the same place Brickfield Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I forgot that I played against Packie Bonnar. He was at Celtic at the time. No, I didnt play against Celtic, he was playing for another club as a guest which was a pre-season warm-up for him, and a real match for us. We lost.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

Met the Ireland team in 1992.David O leary was a pure gent and apart from that Irish League players.I saw Wes Brown,Sparky and Ray Wilkins outside Old Trafford before but i never went up to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ive played against Dessie Baker, played poker with Paul Parker but none of it tops going out on the piss with Steve Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Met Niall Quinn in the airport, and Lucas Podolski at the Cologne training ground. That's about it. Took a cheeky photo of Paul McGrath when I (and every other 18 year old in there) was wasted in Coyote. Later he was on the dancefloor trying to get stuck in to some 17 year old girls (he was completely shot down, I doubt the girls had ever heard of him), then the music stopped for closing time and all you could hear was the entire club singing ooh ah Paul McGrath. Quality, I bet he felt like a right tit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Met Roy Keane in a pub in Edinburgh about 8 years ago (he had the knee injury at the time), he started to chat up my wife when she went to the bar but I soon sorted him out :D I've met Henrik Larsson, Chris Sutton, Paulo Di Canio, George Cadete, Aiden McGeady, Packie Bonnar, Neil Lennon & Lubo Moravcik. I know Danny McGrain. Finally, Stockport County care taker manager, Jim Gannon was in my class at Ballymun Comp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

met paul mcgrath pleny of times as he lives around my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

First trip to anfield ever was March '93. Was in the club shop buying loads of stuff and in strowls David Burrows. Handy left full in his day. Also met Ronnie Moran the old Liverpool coach in the car park. Met Terry Phelan at a Liverpool - Chelsea game. Nice guy, also Ian St.John and Alan Kennedy(extremely nice guy).

Went to the Ireland - League of Ireland match in 1997, Eoin Hand testiomanal, no one went to it and Ireland fielded the full strenght team, got most of the autographs, but spoke to Denis Irwin and Phil Babb, too very nice guys, particuarly Irwin.

Met just about all the Shelbourne team in A Courna in '04.

A mate of mine is great at bumping into people were ever he goes. Think the best one he told me, was he out picking up someone in the airport, looked left and there was Ronnie Whelan and Jim Beglin. The guy is a legend for that kinda thing, think hes met every player whose played for ireland since '89 and about 60% were on the off chance like that.

Also met Bobby Robson in the club shop at St James, he pulled in to his car space came out with his 2 minders and walked in asking how everyone is. Even though he's ex Ipswich he's a great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ger McCarthy ;)

Way too many to name that i've met so briefly ill fly through them , most of the celtic teams from 1990 - present , ireland team 1994 and then drinking with them in 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Declan Geogeghan works in Clonsilla/Maynooth train stations.

Unsung hero IMO, him and Greg Costello.

Never met any players (I don't think so anyway), but I've seen plenty.

Ruud Guilit walking through security on the way to the B Gates in Dublin Airport back in the mid 90s. He's as wide as he's tall.

Mick Macarthy shortly after he was appointed Ireland manager in Pier A of the airport. Left his suit behind, had to leg it back off the aircraft to get it. I knew then it would be all downhill...:D

Andy Reid enjoying a bottle of beer watching ManYoo on Prem Plus after Spurs-Sunderland in December in the bar in Stansted. Didn't approach him as he looked troubled, might have been something to do with his choice of clothing, the finset in rapist chic (brown velvet suit).

Matt Holland shoving his face full of chocolate in Stansted on his way over to join the Ireland squad on a Saturday evening back in 2002.

My mate knows a couple of Irish guys who live in Korea, I've seen the pictures from their piss up with Niall Quinn, Gary Kelly and Steve Staunton after our exit from the WC in 2002. I particularly like the one of the lads running down the road with a bus stop...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cheesedude wrote:

A wonderful turn of phrase...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

majority of d Liverpool team from the past few seasons.

Don't know where the "unapproachable" stevey g myth comes from tho!

There was an 8 year old at the training ground asking him for his autograph but dropped his book and Steve G turned around and said "You lost your chance" and walked off. Another time he was presented with the player of the year award went in collected it, stood for a photograph with my 2 friends and walked straight out without even saying thanks

met Jamie redknapp and jason macateer at a one day soccer school in tipperary 10 years ago. i was 12. macateer was ok but wasnt really a fans oriented kind of guy which shocked me. redknapp on the other hand was an absolute gentleman!! a credit to his generation of footballers.

the year after i met some of the notts forest 'class of 96/97' in dublin at tolka pk. most of them signed autographs for my cousin whos a mad lifelong forest fan but steve chettle and des lyttle were the most obliging of them all. 2 nice fellows and good hearted professionals. mark crossley ducked and dodged signing autographs though and in my opionion was an aroogant useless w*nker who was never a good gk.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm good mates with James Hand of Huddersfield Town. Wouldn't exactly call him a household name, but he will make it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

half th EL, went to school with a few of em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Met Andy Gray and Richard Keyes in the Aer Lingus lounge in heathrow a few years ago.
    Chatted with Andy G. who was a good laugh. He wanted to know why I had given up a promising career as a player when the world was ready for... and then I woke up... :D

Seriously though. Was having a piss in the bathroom before getting on the flight and told him I was pissed off because Ireland had just been knocked out of the Euro qualifier play-off in Turkey. He said "ah well... that's football" to which I replied "suppose so... it could have been worse"..... "yes" he said "it could have been Scotland"

Cheeky bastard !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

kensutz wrote:
    There was an 8 year old at the training ground asking him for his autograph but dropped his book and Steve G turned around and said "You lost your chance" and walked off. Another time he was presented with the player of the year award went in collected it, stood for a photograph with my 2 friends and walked straight out without even saying thanks

well i suppose everyone will have their own opinion on him. i've always found him ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Damien Duff was on my rugby team in school, sound bloke and a good rugby player. When he told the coaches he was leaving school and rugby to go to England to play football they did everything to convince him to stay! They told him he would ruin his life!

Also met Paulo Di Canio, wasnt the nicest person in the world tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Met Paul McGrath when he came into the pub I worked in (on crutches) years ago. Lovely guy.

Also met Kevin Keegan and got his autograph before a match in OT when he was heading into the commentary area. He was sound too, stood and signed stuff until everyone was happy before going into the Sky portacabin. He was England manager at the time, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Niall quinn and andy townsand in at a dublin v kildare match . They were very nice guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement