Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh no! Its.....the Dec 31st Prem fixtures thread!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Just listening to the commentary on LFC.TV and they reckon it's a broken metatarsal and Owen's out for 5 months

just wondering now if Sky News will whip out the auld commentary ala Beckham pre 2002WC.
    Dont think i could take it.......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Louis Saha baby, what a signing :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Saha 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2 ogs for n'gotty? :D

He's blessed it was going in and not accross the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

BBC saying 'several months' out for Owen.

HAHAHA,
    Anyone listening to Setanta?

'A normally reliable defender has made a really big booboo'

Classic

p.s.

Aren't metatharsal injuries normally about 2 months until back?

p.p.s

Maybe this will result in England switching to a proper 4-3-3, with Beckham on the right, Cole on the left, and Rooney up front, with Gerrard, Lampard and Jenas/King/Carrick in midfield.

Could be the best thing to happen to English football since Best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

what happened for the second? is it saha's?

It's sahas.
    Bad defensive header back to the goalie, Saha nicked it away with his right foot, it bounced, then he sided footed it in with his left.
    N'Gotty tried to clear it, but could only clip it, and nudge it even more, but it was always going in, and is a definate Saha goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yeah its clearly his goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

good stuff. if saha can get a run of a few games and a few goals i think he will surprise a lot of people.

Liverpool 1-0 up crouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thank God! Harry Kewell to Peter Crouch.

WBA parked the bus.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

RAR! You just cant stop the Crouch :D

From looking at BBC text, it seems WBA are camped in theire own half, yes?

Blackburn are two up.

Mike.

SofaKing wrote:
    RAR! You just cant stop the Crouch :D

From looking at BBC text, it seems WBA are camped in theire own half, yes?

They are. Liverpool should really have this game wrapped up by now. Crouch took hi goal very well. Excellent header. Gerrard is playing very well also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

mike65 wrote:
    Blackburn are two up.

Mike.

heard pedersens goal was "blasted in from what seemed an impossible angle" - not the first time he has done this :D

steven reid with the second, this would be a great win if they can hang on!

Ronaldo 3-1 to Man U

Go on you ****ing legends!!!!

RoRoRo!!!!!!

What would Utd do without Rooney?

3-1

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

United 3-1 up, hammering bolton into the ground.

• Advertisement

Oh poor bolton, 3-1, and what happens, Ruud comes on.

mike65 wrote:
    What would Utd do without Rooney?

3-1

Mike.

They certainly wouldn't be second in the league now without him. He is truely world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

bellamy for blackburn to make it 3-0 and 3 points

lovely finish from ronaldo 4-1

Ronaldo is back :)
    Be afraid

FT liverpool 1 WBA 0

FT Boro 0 Man City 0

FT Wigan 0 Blackburn 3

FT Man U 4 Bolton 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Good way for ManU to come back after Wednesday's disaster. Bolton simply bored the arse off me in the first half of the match and I just couldn't watch the 2nd half.

Portsmouth 1 Fulham 0 the other FT

Man Utd 4 - 1 Bolton

It was a good game from United, a good bounce back from last weeks disappointment, premiership winning form sans Chelsea :) It's nuts with 12 wins 5 draws and 2 defeats we're talking about how bad a season it's been so far for United.

Today had some really great positives for me for the rest of the season and the future

Firstly,

Pique - good to see him get a run out, and was involved in the last goal, which is always good to see

Fletcher - I thought he had a fantastic game today. Won the ball well, and only wasted possesion once, with a ambitous effort to Giggs, otherwise perfect.
    Two great driving runs forward, one resulting in a goal for Ronaldo, after Rooney's brillaince, the other resulting in a great chance for him, which unfortunately he didn't put away. If he did, I think he would have gotten MOM. Bossed the midfield today, playing essentially on his own with O'Shea contributing nothing today unfortunately.

Ronaldo - Back to his old form. Started off slowly, getting a couple of free kicks in the progress, but then really came into form as Bolton got a little tired. The second goal was great, the first one was a tap in, and he could easily have gotten 4 tonight, if it was for pesky posts.

Rooney - Nothing to say, quality.

Saha - I thought he played great.
    I attribute the first two goals to him, the first cause if N'Gotty didn't get to it, Saha was putting it away. The second was sublime, a great first touch, and a great finish to put it away. His build up play wasn't fantastic, but it was acceptable, not Ruud level though.

Defensivly we were quite poor. Richardson had a good game going forward, but was weak at the back. Rio had a great game I felt, but I thought Neville was only average, and Slyvestre and Richardson were poor.
    I look forward to Vidic coming, and Slyvestre/Richardson/O'Shea all competing for the left back slot, although I think Sly might move on, which will be sad to see.
    The goal shouldn't have happened, full stop, and thats something United have to work on, cause we won't score 4 every week.

Bring on Arsenal....
    Last time we get to beat them at highbury in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Great win and apparently two very stylish goals for Blackburn. Can't wait to see them on the Premiership. Nice to see Bellers come on to grab another again. Here's hoping for an extended run in the team for him. Roll on Portsmouth on Monday, although I wish we'd played them when Perrin was manager :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Good to see United winning so convincingly, even better to see Ronaldo get 2. Look forward to seeing the highlights tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Given and Owen injured for Newcastle? How ****ed are they now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

another 4 goals today and nice to see others apart from rooney and ruud getting them. if only chelsea could start getting the results they deserved, the way they are playing, it sickens me to see them only loosing one and drawing one all season, it just doesnt make sense. surely they will drop points, dont think they will drop 11 but if any team was to get within 4/5 points of the come april, it would make a great last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That keeper had a performance like you wouldn't believe today. I have no idea how many shots the pool had on target but that keeper made a raft of superb saves. Nice to see crouchy getting on the score sheet again, he really is going from strength to strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Given and Owen injured for Newcastle? How ****ed are they now?

Very.

We spent a good part of the 2nd half singing "we got Souness out" and "one Bobby Robson" at the hapless Souness today...:D

Fantastic performance from Spurs in all departments, especially Teemu Tainio, Michael Carrick, Mido, and Robbie Keane (his best performance in three years). We had three goals disallowed for offsides, and another offside given just before Keane pulled the trigger.

Newcastle's defence is appaling, truly appaling...:D

Oh, and Scott Parker didn't get a look in cos of Michael Carrick. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have no idea how many shots the pool had on target

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=349286&CPID=8&clid=&channel=

10 on target and 13 off target :) nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Very.

We spent a good part of the 2nd half singing "we got Souness out" and "one Bobby Robson" at the hapless Souness today...:D

Fantastic performance from Spurs in all departments, especially Teemu Tainio, Michael Carrick, Mido, and Robbie Keane (his best performance in three years). We had three goals disallowed for offsides, and another offside given just before Keane pulled the trigger.

Newcastle's defence is appaling, truly appaling...:D

Oh, and Scott Parker didn't get a look in cos of Michael Carrick. :cool:
    Jenas must be counting his blessings that he jumped ship.
    I feel sorry for Souey and Newcastle, when it rains it pours. Your two best players with pretty bad injuries sustained in the same game...ouch.

Defoe must be getting concerned about his England chances, Mido and Keane seem to have formed a very cordial relationship. Take into account how well Crouch is after picking himself up, and Darren Bent (another goal & assist yesterday) and he must be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Defoe must be getting concerned about his England chances, Mido and Keane seem to have formed a very cordial relationship. Take into account how well Crouch is after picking himself up, and Darren Bent (another goal & assist yesterday) and he must be worried.

What I've heard (from inside the club and out)

Jol got a visit from Defoe the Monday after we drew 1-1 with West Ham (first game Defoe was dropped for) and was told in no uncertain terms that he felt he should be in the team, and would have to consider his future at the club given the year that is in it if he didn't get his place back. What would worry me in that regard is that Defoe is represented by Sky Andrew, Sol Campbell's agent, and we all know how that turned out...

In fairness, when he's come on he's looked dangerous (scoring against Pompey and Brum) apart from the away trip to Boro (his one on one miss to win the game at the death). He needs to realise that he's not guaranteed a start, and he should work hard and wait his turn (like Keane did). Whether he's capable of acting like a professional and putting the team first is the key question.

Anyone know where I can get clips of Blackburn's goals from yesterday?

I still don't know how Pedersen managed to drill the ball into the top corner from that angle. And, as for the second, well I always said Steven Reid had a powerful shot :)

Let's hope for more of the same Monday night, Sky are making one of their few trips to Ewood. I'd say at the start of the season they were thinking that Rovers vs. Portsmouth would be a relegation six pointer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I didnt get a chance to report on this match until today. An easy win for Liverpool, although once again great play by midfield and defence gave West Brom no look-in whatsoever, reduced to 5 shots in the match, not one on target, so mych less troubled than in the match against Everton. If West Brom were seeking the draw, they failed miserably.

Liverpool lined out in the now standard formation of 4-4-2:

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Riise
    Garcia - Gerrard - Alonso - Kewell
    ---- Cisse --- Crouch ----

Liverpool had chance after chance, something like 23 attempts and the stand-in West Brom keeper for Kirkland did a very good job. Liverpool hitthe woodwork and had several shots that were drilled by Gerrard but were too close to the keeper.

Liverpool had to wait for the 2nd half to break the deadlock. A move broke down but Riise won the ball back sliding t out to Kewell. He put in a good cross and Crouch, yes Crouch, move well inside the box to get himself in a great position and got away a well directed and powered header, and scored. It was a centre forwards header and goal, one that would match Sherer. A great goal for Crouch to get, the first of this type.

Liverpool dominated the rest of the game yet couldnt put away any chances. All players were guilty.

Some points of note from the game: Kewell actually played half decent. The chance that Benitez has given him is allowing him to improve his output. His crossing is good quality. At this level of performance, he deserves to be in the team, given that our only other avenue of attack down the left hand side is Riise.

Pongolle didnt do that well even though he got 23-mins of a run-out. I think he will have to start producing in these opportunities or forget about getting real 1st team action.

Gerrard once again a stormer of a game. Alonso staying back a lot which for me is a concern as his creative play is not getting any sort of development. I think Rafa should ask Gerrard/Alonso to swtich roles in a game once they get well ahead, but when is that likely to happen. Liverpool are still not a scoring machine nor is that likely to dramatically change.

I think Bnitez should get another forward, but who? Will he bring La Tallec back who has got some sort of practice at Sunderland with poor supply? There is no easy answer .... but he may pull something ot of the bag.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lemlin wrote:
    Anyone know where I can get clips of Blackburn's goals from yesterday?

I would like to second this request.

pwetty pwease! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Clip on the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cheers Joe.

Advertisement