Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free to Air Satelite TV

Options
  • 30-12-2005 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi there.
    I am living in North Inishowen (between Malin and Malin Head) and receive a horrible terrestial signal. Not even sure where I am receiving my British channels from, so I have decided I need a free to air satellite sysytem, just to receive a decent picture on BBC and ITV channels.

First of all, can anyone confirm that free to air sat is the best way out?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can find a decent shop in the Derry/Donegal area where I can buy such a system?

Thanks for the help,
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dandanthe

John,
    my folks live in gcastle in inishowen n use a free to air box with a hard drive recorder. the have a special ariel in the attic but not an outside one. u should have no problem getting a signal provided u are on the coast with no hills in the way between you and the signal. i think its transmitted from limavady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dun na nGal

watch out in lidl or aldi for sat systems . bbc free to view digi boxes available in asda - strabane but these take the signal the same way as ord tv aerial so if ur reception is bad they prob won't work . sat systems are more expensive but are only other means i know of .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 irish_dew

Sold out again, and went for Sky..................................

Edited by Muffler: i dont think we need to know about your sex life or the want of same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

I got a local fella out to install the sky box and dish for 30 euro. I did not have a telephone extension beside the tv and told him i would install it myself. I didn't, and so the box was never registered with sky and now I have all the free channels and a dish and box for 30 bucks. WooHoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 irish_dew

Great deal you got there esskay,

whereabouts are you, or who was the installer?

Apologies to muffler by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

A mate of mine in Letterkenny bought one of those Free To Air sets at the Car Boot Sales in town last Saturday. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but it sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irish_dew wrote:

No problems irish. I suppose you could say it was just a mod flexing his muscles :D
    Nah, we try to keep things neat and tidy here.

Welcome aboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

irish_dew wrote:

It was an add in the Sligo Champion but i presume the same thing would work with any private installer

Further to my post above, I had a look at that Free View set this evening.

Working fine, crystal clear picture to my eyes. It says 89 channels, but as I flicked around some of them came up blank (TCM and abc1).

It's a "AudioLine FTA 3000" for anyone that's interested.

I have Sky myself, but I was half-thinking of buying one as a gift tomorrow morning, for someone who lives outside LetterK.

(That's if I get up anytime before 3pm...)

Edit: Bought it, tried it, no joy. Signal not coming from right place, or maybe I had the wrong socks on, or something... :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For FreeView (DTT-Digital Terrestrial Television) to work, the aerial needs to be aimed at one of the three NI transmitters that transmit DTT signals. These are Brougher Mountain, Limavady and Divis. Also, the incoming signals would need to be quite good. If the BBC/ITV analogue pictures are perfect, or close to it, then you may be in luck. If your pictures are poor, then DTT most likely won't work. An aerial upgrade may be required, if applicable.

Some places around Letterkenny would get their NI channels from Strabane Tx (and perhaps Derry), which doesn't carry DTT.

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    For FreeView (DTT-Digital Terrestrial Television) to work, <snip>

Thanks for the info. We'd figured on the Limavady/Strabane thing alright, so I passed the set on to a mate who's living within the right catchment area.

It would work fine in my house, but apart from Channel Five there's nothing on it I actually want. SkyDigital does fine for me.

byte

No probs.

I'm getting my signals from Strabane too, so no FV for me. I had thought it'd be handy for the bedroom. But now I've Sky wired up to it, and I have five on Sky anyway ;)

byte wrote:
    No probs.

I'm getting my signals from Strabane too, so no FV for me. I had thought it'd be handy for the bedroom. But now I've Sky wired up to it, and I have five on Sky anyway ;)
    How do you get channel 5 on Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    How do you get channel 5 on Sky?

Good question, plus as an ex-Sky subscriber who is still using the digibox & dish receiving plenty of TV and Digital radio via FTA, all free :D .

I am interested in knowing if these 'Free to View' terrestrial box receivers would work in Ballybofey, and would I receive 'any more channels' than I am already receiving from my old non-subscription digibox ?...

P.:cool:

byte

Paddy20 wrote:
    Good question, plus as an ex-Sky subscriber who is still using the digibox & dish receiving plenty of TV and Digital radio via FTA, all free :D .

I am interested in knowing if these 'Free to View' terrestrial box receivers would work in Ballybofey, and would I receive 'any more channels' than I am already receiving from my old non-subscription digibox ?...

I get C5 because I have a UK subscription ;) Instead of RTE etc on 101-104, I have BBC, ITV, etc on 101-105. So no RTE, TV3, etc on Sky for me :( But I have these via aerial anyway.

Of course, if you've a friend/relative in UK/NI, then it's possible to get an FTV (Free To View, not to be confused with FreeView) card, which is available to anyone in UK/NI who has a TV license. These cost £20stg IIRC. These get you BBC, ITV, C4 and five.

Check out ICDG for more details on obtaining one ;)
    Note: If you have an Irish subscription already, you'd need to swap cards to view C4/five .

For Ballybofey, you will not get FreeView (DTT) either, as most of Ballybofey also use Strabane Tx for NI channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I was of the impression freeview isn't in the Republic yet. Infact areas of Derry do not have it fully yet. Perhaps inishowen has patches (another advantage of the penninsula besides great scenery)

I was gonna get freeview if available though tried a box to no avail. Though got the offer from sky only to find out can't get the extra BBc's and ITV 1?

Though got the offer from sky only to find out can't get the extra BBc's and ITV 1?
    This might help http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=318569

Byte,

Thanks for the info, "No Freeview in Ballybofey" Damn Ballygobackwards/B] thats what this place is, If I had not been born here, I would not be living here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy20 wrote:
    Byte,

Thanks for the info, "No Freeview in Ballybofey" Damn Ballygobackwards/B] thats what this place is, If I had not been born here, I would not be living here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Paddy

You can't blame your hometown for the lack of freeview. Remember it is a UK thing and the only reason some people in this country get it is our proximity to the border, and in Wexford/Wicklow the fact that there is nothing between them and Wales but the Irish Sea.

smashey wrote:
    Paddy

You can't blame your hometown for the lack of freeview. Remember it is a UK thing and the only reason some people in this country get it is our proximity to the border, and in Wexford/Wicklow the fact that there is nothing between them and Wales but the Irish Sea.

Smashey,

While I understand and appreciate your comments, in Ballybofey we are so close too 'the non-existant' border' ! that I could probably spit
    into the North.

I blame our government and our local 'Numbskull politicos' for the fact that we do not Already have 'Freeview' reception available all throughout the ROI ?... ;)

Just my 2cs worth.

• Advertisement
    byte

Yes, true.

RTÉ themselves are to begin trials of DTT later this year. They've already started DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) trials. Sadly, most of these trials are Dublin and surrounding areas. Be a while before the whole country is covered :(

byte wrote:
    Yes, true.

RTÉ themselves are to begin trials of DTT later this year. They've already started DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) trials. Sadly, most of these trials are Dublin and surrounding areas. Be a while before the whole country is covered :(

Hmmm, maybe we need a IrelandDTTOffline/B] forum like the brilliant 'IrelandOffline' telecoms one, or maybe A NWDTTOffline/B] one, or would that be construed as too localised & 'selfish' ?..:confused: .

As for 'RTE' I am not impressed, we had a local man involved with them at a high level, but unfortunately AFAIK he has left for 'greener pastures' ?..

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy20 wrote:
    Smashey,

While I understand and appreciate your comments, in Ballybofey we are so close too 'the non-existant' border' ! that I could probably spit
    into the North.

I blame our government and our local 'Numbskull politicos' for the fact that we do not Already have 'Freeview' reception available all throughout the ROI ?... ;)

Just my 2cs worth.

Paddy

I am in Lifford. You can't get closer to the border than that. Even Strabane doesn't have freeview. Apparently the reason for this is there are too many 'cute hoors' in Donegal who would be taking advantage of this service if it was available. Why the people of Strabane and their representatives haven't taken this up is a mystery to me.

byte

I think the lack of DTT from some Transmitters is more to do with co-channel interference from other transmitters, both north and south of the border.

Maybe somebody should email the beeb, to find out what their reasoning is.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I blame our government and our local 'Numbskull politicos' for
    Thanks for the edit Paddy. Saved me the trouble ;)

muffler wrote:
    Thanks for the edit Paddy. Saved me the trouble ;)

Thats ok, part of my New Years resolution was Do not give muffler any reason to edit your post, otherwise it could vanish completely, and in full :eek: /B], and even before anyone else has had a chance to 'read it' ;) . A fixation that mods can easily become addicted too ! :rolleyes: Must be the stress ?.. Heh, heh,
    P.. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    Thats ok, part of my New Years resolution was Do not give muffler any reason to edit your post, otherwise it could vanish completely, and in full :eek: /B], and even before anyone else has had a chance to 'read it' ;) . A fixation that mods can easily become addicted too ! :rolleyes: Must be the stress ?.. Heh, heh,
    P.. :cool:
    Ah now be honest Paddy. You're in practice to take over when one of us retire so you decided to make a start on your own posts first just to get the hang of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Steve_TcK

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has allready been asked-
    I have just moved to ireland in Carndonagh / Malin and was wondering if i will be able to use my free to air box over here ?

I have just bought a realy high gain antenna as the antenna that was on the house was produceing a very poor picture.

As yet i have not been able to receive a digital picture

Any advise ??

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Was gonna buy a free to air box, and mini dish in a few weeks.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to were I can find out howto set it up, and hoto get the best picture and best selection of channels?

And can you use it to pick up all the noraml rte1/rte2/tv3/etc.... if you dont have an aerial on you house already?

The dish and box will be setting me back €150.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Steve_TcK

Hi there,

I have a Sky setup from the uk but it will only pick up the bbc channels and only 3 at best
    I cant seem to get RTE on the sky box - for this i think you need a sky subscription..

Steve

Advertisement