Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chrome Merc Grille

Options
  • 30-12-2005 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

The black plastic front grille on my '98 E300 is cracked. I would like to replace it with a chrome or chrome-effect one. I've seen them on some E-class taxis and think they look the business. Does anyone know where I can get one? My local Mercedes dealer is as consistent as ever - i.e. he does'nt want to know! Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

the only chrome grille for a mercedes e class is standard on the avandgarde model id say it will look out of place if your 300 is a classic, i doubt you can get them as spurious parts, you best bet is the genuine merc parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Try find a rear-ended one in a scrap-yard, and take it off that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Volvoboy wrote:
    the only chrome grille for a mercedes e class is standard on the avandgarde model id say it will look out of place if your 300 is a classic, i doubt you can get them as spurious parts, you best bet is the genuine merc parts.

It's between the two - an 'Elegance'.

Squirrel wrote:
    Try find a rear-ended one in a scrap-yard, and take it off that

Tried that but they all seem to be plastic like my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Elegance would look good, the only diff between that and a avantgarde is a light blue tint in the glass, the classic has no chrome whatsoever and it would look out of place.

P.S i'm mistaken

http://www.micksgarage.ie/PRODDETAILS.ASPX?PRODID=71064&PRODKEY=2b57eeac-cb7b-4ca3-9375-74560ac59853

• Advertisement

Volvoboy wrote:
    Elegance would look good, the only diff between that and a avantgarde is a light blue tint in the glass, the classic has no chrome whatsoever and it would look out of place.

P.S i'm mistaken

http://www.micksgarage.ie/PRODDETAILS.ASPX?PRODID=71064&PRODKEY=2b57eeac-cb7b-4ca3-9375-74560ac59853

Thanks for that Volvoboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You should try a good motor factors, i'd say it would be cheaper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

try traynors up north or Whelans in Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Volvoboy wrote:

P.S i'm mistaken

Thats not the only difference, The suspension is also Lowered on the avantgarde model, Looks the Buisness compared to the elegance and classic. I noticed this when my dad bought an 98 E240 Avantgarde. If you look at the elegance and the Classic and the avantgarde model, You will notice this, And the Alloy's are 16 " instead of the 15" on the elegance.

The chrome on the Elegance won't be too bad. Should look Nice.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    Thats not the only difference, The suspension is also Lowered on the avantgarde model, Looks the Buisness compared to the elegance and classic. I noticed this when my dad bought an 98 E240 Avantgarde.

Hj

There's several other standard differences - maple trim, different alloys, rear reading lights, headlamp washers.

The sports suspension is the reason most buyers opt for the Elegance over the Avant-Garde. Personally I think the stiff suspension and resulting ride spoil the comfort. I certainly don't like that 'boy-racer' look.

• Advertisement

Litcagral wrote:
    There's several other standard differences - maple trim, different alloys, rear reading lights, headlamp washers.

The sports suspension is the reason most buyers opt for the Elegance over the Avant-Garde. Personally I think the stiff suspension and resulting ride spoil the comfort. I certainly don't like that 'boy-racer' look.

The avantgarde Has the stiffer suspension, Is that what you are saying? And Which model are you saying has the " boy-racer " look ? :confused: I know the avantgarde has Jelly-like suspension, Its Pretty comfy to ride in, Takes the bumps nicely. But saying that, I have never been inside an elegance model too say which is the more comfortable between the two models, But the avantgarde certainly is nice to sit in.

Hj

HungryJoey wrote:
    The avantgarde Has the stiffer suspension, Is that what you are saying? And Which model are you saying has the " boy-racer " look ? :confused: I know the avantgarde has Jelly-like suspension, Its Pretty comfy to ride in, Takes the bumps nicely. But saying that, I have never been inside an elegance model too say which is the more comfortable between the two models, But the avantgarde certainly is nice to sit in.

Hj

The Avant-Garde has sports suspension and appears to sit lower. It's all a matter of opinion but I prefer the comfort of soft suspension and as I don't drive excessively fast, I don't need stiffer suspension.

Only the E200 base models AFAIK have 15" alloys. Others have 16" or 17".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

so the avantgarde model is the best top-spec model, yeah??

C_Breeze wrote:
    so the avantgarde model is the best top-spec model, yeah??

The Elegance probably has 95% of the spec of the Avantgarde but the major difference is the suspension. That is why most buyers appear to opt for the Elegance for comfort.

Strange, I find the Avantgarde, VERY comfy. It rides over everything so Smoother. The Avantgarde's do look a fair bit better though when you compare then face to face ( External Visuals ) As they sit lower and have the bigger alloy's.

Avantgarde :
    mercedes-e240-silver.jpg
    ab_2.JPG

Elegance :

PictE240.jpg

06-FS-RJ.JPG

Also, I know a little off topic, But I have to say, I love to see the older Model Mercs ( 98 - 99 ) with these perticular new model Alloys

0959591.jpg It makes it look a whole lot newer, Some people put new alloys on them, and they can look hidious, But them perticular new 17" Model alloys IMO look very well. Best money to be spent IMO trying to give the old E series a Face lift, And NOT to add stupid chrome strips around the rear lights etc... That looks hidious.

Also, May aswel throw in a picture of my dads E240, Although the misses drives that, And he's stuck in the new Passat TDi, THe Merc is in perfect condition and a beute to drive, Well.. So I hear, and the noise of it, I think the V6 gives it its roar, It really can Fly, ( 2.4L V6 177Bhp Iirc)

imgp17731bu.jpg
    imgp17767rd.jpg
    Hj

I totally agree will you re chrome around lights - extremly tacky looking.

In relation to alloys on E class - 16" are standard on large diesel engines. Tyres are also wider. Mine are 225/55/16. Wheels are available from 15" to 18" (AMG).

17" alloys look good but they can seriously affect the ride and comfort as the tyre proflie will be lower therefore firmer ride.

Yeah, Ill agree with you there 100% aswel.

Hj

Advertisement