Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning After Pill on Saturday?

• 31-12-2005 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Would anyone be able to tell me where you can get the Morning After Pill on Saturday Morning(tomorrow)? and if possible what it will cost.

Thanks for any help.

-Funk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Any doctor really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to doctor, they are prescription only.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

all the details are here

http://www.wellwomancentre.ie/index.html

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

thanks guys, do doctors have normal hours on saturday with it being new years eve and all and could you go to the triage nurse in the A&E?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

you can get them in an well woman's clinic / family planning center should cost around 15 euros. always use a condom they don't just stop you from getting pregnant they also stop you from catch any disease's (1 in 20 Irish people have HIV /1 in 5 have an STD) so be safe not stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You could go to the triage nurse, but there'll be doctors on call. Even if you want to ring your doctors office now, there'll be a list of doctors on call.

Hope all is ok in the end :)

EDIT:
    Off topic for a second...

WalkswithDeath:"(1 in 20 Irish people have HIV /1 in 5 have an STD) so be safe not stupid"

Are you sure of those? They're fairly high stats like... :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

always use a condom they don't just stop you from getting pregnant they also stop you from catch any disease's (1 in 20 Irish people have HIV /1 in 5 have an STD) so be safe not stupid

it was more of a case of breakage.

thanks for the help people.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

yes and what makes it worse is that most STD carriers are under the age of 17. this was all published a few weeks ago you can get the government finding on the increase of sexual transmitted disease from DCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

If you live in Dublin, there's a place beside Smyths toys in parnell square that does it.€50 though.
    Unfortunatly for myself, we were unable to go on a sunday...so we rushed to it on the monday.They'll sort you out no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Its called the Jervis medical Centre - in the phone book so ring in the morning and they will give you an appointment which means you won't have to wait when you go in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You do have approximately 2 days to get the prescription, though obviously the sooner the better. If you get a GP appointment, it will cost the standard fee. Other clinics may do it for cheaper.

I was in the same position years ago, Had to make an appointment after a condom broke. I got a lecture on unprotected sex (We were using a condom) then I got the prescription. It felt so embarassing. But all was good in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

(1 in 20 Irish people have HIV /1 in 5 have an STD)

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

you can get them in an well woman's clinic / family planning center should cost around 15 euros. always use a condom they don't just stop you from getting pregnant they also stop you from catch any disease's (1 in 20 Irish people have HIV /1 in 5 have an STD) so be safe not stupid

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

this was all published a few weeks ago you can get the government finding on the increase of sexual transmitted disease from DCU.

Is there a link to such findings ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

dudara wrote:
    ...I was in the same position years ago, Had to make an appointment after a condom broke. I got a lecture on unprotected sex (We were using a condom) then I got the prescription. It felt so embarassing. But all was good in the end!
    Yeah my girlfriend got the same lecture. Someone should tell doctors that condoms do actually break from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

daveyjoe wrote:
    Yeah my girlfriend got the same lecture. Someone should tell doctors that condoms do actually break from time to time.

You'd be suprised at how many "breakages" they see in a year. Condoms don't break that often tbh.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Is there a link to such findings?

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like scaremongering tbh. Most STD carriers being under 17 sounds a bit off. Surely it'd be a fairly even spread into people in their early/mid 20s?

yes and no the lack of knowledge about STI and hiv has rocket in those age groups.
    Long gone are the tv ads and the slogans form the late 80s early 90s and most
    of today's teens never had it impacted or explained to them.
    That coupled with the cost of condoms and dr visits for contraception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

That'd be more like 200,000 people which is totally unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.ndsc.ie/PressReleases/2005PressReleases/MainBody,1129,en.html

http://www.ndsc.ie/PressReleases/2005PressReleases/MainBody,1129,en.html
    The cumulative total number of reported HIV infections up to the end of December 2004 is 3,764.
    This would equate to about 1 in 1,000, although the real figure would be higher due to undiagnosed cases.

Although something like 50-80% of any population has herpes in one form or another - mostly oral herpes (cold sores), few enough (compared to the USA) Irish people are diagnosed with genital herpes. http://www.ndsc.ie/A-Z/HepatitisHIVAIDSandSTIs/SexuallyTransmittedInfections/GenitalHerpesSimplex/

All that said, the result of a HIV infection are sufficient to make one only consider safe(r) sex.

BrynW wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    the most common std in ireland is genital warts apparently
    thtas problably one of the worst things you can get because it sound awful
    since i heard that i always have condoms with me

• Advertisement

Condoms will not stop you from getting gentail warts as they can be anywhere on the general crotch region.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/genital_warts.html

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/000137.html

Genital warts are caused by certain types of the human papillomavirus (HPV). But other common types of HPV that cause warts on the hands and the soles of the feet do not cause genital warts.

Genital warts are transmitted through sexual contact with an infected person. HPV can be contracted via anal, oral, and vaginal intercourse, and warts can appear within several weeks or months after sexual relations.

The virus is passed through skin-to-skin contact, but not everyone who's been exposed to the virus will develop genital warts. About two thirds of those who have sexual contact with an infected person will contract HPV.
    Can They Be Prevented?
    Like most STDs, genital warts can be avoided by not having sex or by having sex only with one uninfected partner.

Condoms offer some protection against genital warts, but they can't completely prevent them because the warts can be outside of the area protected by the condom. Spermicidal foams, creams, and jellies have not been proven to protect against HPV and genital warts.

Advertisement