Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When were substitutes introduced in England?

• 31-12-2005 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, does anyone know (with a proof like if possible) when substitutions were introduced in the enlish game? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

there y'are...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_(soccer)
    wiki wrote:
    Substitutions during English league matches were first permitted in the 1965-66 season. During the first two seasons after the law was introduced, each side was permitted only one substitution during a game. Moreover the substitute could only replace an injured player. From the 1967-68 season, this rule was relaxed to allow substitutions for tactical reasons.

On August 21, 1965, Keith Peacock of Charlton Athletic became the first substitute used in the Football League when he replaced injured goalkeeper Mike Rose eleven minutes into their away match against Bolton Wanderers.

T'internet sure is amazing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cheers. Coulnt find anything on the fa website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

christ i didnt realise subs are only around for 40 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

christ i didnt realise subs are only around for 40 years.

I actually didnt think it was that long. I was going for 1970 ish.

If your in the mood for searching whiskeyman :D were they allowed to use subsin the 66 world cup?

Stekelly wrote:
    I actually didnt think it was that long. I was going for 1970 ish.

If your in the mood for searching whiskeyman :D were they allowed to use subsin the 66 world cup?
    No substitutions were permitted for any reason during the tournament.
    from http://www.englandfootballonline.com/CmpWC/CmpWC1966Squad.html

Just found out that..
    1970 World Cup's opening match was the Azteca Stadium in Mexico. This match between Mexico and the Soviet Union marked the start of a new era, as substitutions, yellow and red cards were used for the first time in the competition's history.

some other cool WC stats here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

1966 WC was the 1st for subs certain about it

blu_sonic wrote:
    1966 WC was the 1st for subs certain about it
    proof?

Italy played North Korea during the 1966 World Cup.
    Italy, needing only a draw to advance, was packed with stars and one of the favorites of the Cup, but the Italians never recovered when their captain went down in the 34th minute, injured while trying to take out a Korean player with a tackle.

At that time, international rules did not allow for substitutions, so Italy had to play with 10 men the rest of the match.

sorry ment to say "almost certain about it" i thought i read it in a pub quiz book maybe it was 1966-67 season and i misread it sorry

The 1970 World Cup saw the introduction of substitutions, an effort to counter the effect of the heat and altitude in Mexico. Pelé vowed never to play in another World Cup after the terrible violence on the field in 1966. In an effort to bring back "the beautiful game", FIFA introduced yellow and red cards, and instructed the referees to be more stringent.

you sir are correct

Advertisement