Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spotted any 'Christmas Imports' ?

Options
  • 31-12-2005 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Have you spotted any 'Christmas Imports' (i.e. cars which Irish people living abroad have brought home with them) ?

I spotted a Dodge Ram today with New York plates ....... and an SUV with Virginia plates (both in the same provincial town).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Nobody ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

What do you mean. I dont think i have seen any. About the best thing i saw was an 06 d car in work on Dec 23rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Kind of strange someone bringing a car over here from the States unless they are going to leave it here permanently. I imagine it would take the guts of two weeks to get a car here from the States, there's no direct shipping lane.

Kersh wrote:
    What do you mean. I dont think i have seen any. About the best thing i saw was an 06 d car in work on Dec 23rd.

I thought my question was obvious ?!

Have you seen any foreign reg cars about (...which more than likely have been...) brought home by returning Irish immigrants ?

In my area I have spotted two US plates .....and an Australian-reg Pajero has been about for the last few months.

Thats a strange one .........a garage allowed a '06-reg' car out before 1-1-06 ?
    ........or do you work in a garage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

A Ford F150 pickup, Harley Davidson edition in Palmerstown about 12 months ago. It was definitely LHD with square reg plates front and rear :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Kersh wrote:

Clever reg plate Kersh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

No, not a garage, its just plated up and ready to go. I would say its out now.
    @ Ciarsd, i take it you read the other post about the number. :)
    @ Silvera, Havent seen anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I have seen an australian regd Toyota Rav4 with the aerial over the drivers door. Its from New South Wales. Also spotted a Nissan Patrol on aussie plates too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I Spotted a black Audi on Latvian plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

C_Breeze wrote:
    I Spotted a black Audi on Latvian plates

Why is that anything out of the ordinary :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've seen a Mitsi Lancer with Aussie plates on it (Queensland), and a Ford F-350 with Texas plates recently. A couple of weeks ago though, I saw a moped with Japanese plates on it, never seen that before!

It's surprising how many Aussie plates are about!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Just before Christmas, on my way home from work I came up behind a Black Chlysler 300C with 05D plates.

I knew it was a big car but that thing is a monstor and the grille and bodyline is very high, whereas the the windows are quire small. the pictures of the car really do not show of the proportions until you see it in the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

If you have seen a car with NY Plates on then its not going to stay in IRELAND they must be on holiday. If you are sending your car back to Ireland from the US (NY) then you have to surrender the plates before your allowed to ship back. You have to de-register the plates on the car and get a note from the DMV or US customs will not allow you to ship.

We put our car in along with our house contents in a 40 footer (container) Shipped directly from NY to Cork and then a transporter to Meath (all part of the movers service)

It was 3500 (dollars for the house content and 1500 for the car)

Car had to be de-registered in NY and then re-registered in Ireland.

Took six weeks for the container from NY to Ireland. 1 week for the car to be delivered to Meath and a 2 months for DMV in Ireland to be happy to register the car with Meath plates with no VRT charged....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

garyh3 wrote:
    We put our car in along with our house contents in a 40 footer (container) Shipped directly from NY to Cork and then a transporter to Meath (all part of the movers service)

It was 3500 (dollars for the house content and 1500 for the car)

Car had to be de-registered in NY and then re-registered in Ireland.

Took six weeks for the container from NY to Ireland. 1 week for the car to be delivered to Meath and a 2 months for DMV in Ireland to be happy to register the car with Meath plates with no VRT charged....

No VRT charged, how did you manage that? May I ask what type of car was it?

Lived in the US for 8 years. As long as you can prove that you have owned the car and that the car + you have lived in a different country + 6 months then VRT is not charged.

We brought back our Chrysler PT 2001 (NCT was a bitch to pass as the indicators and side lights are combined)

Garyh3

garyh3 wrote:
    If you have seen a car with NY Plates on then its not going to stay in IRELAND they must be on holiday. If you are sending your car back to Ireland from the US (NY) then you have to surrender the plates before your allowed to ship back. You have to de-register the plates on the car and get a note from the DMV or US customs will not allow you to ship.

Interesting!

Amazing that people would ship a car all the way from the States just for a holiday in Ireland?!
    Sure, maybe if they were going to be here for 6 months + ..... but for a holiday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ive seen a lexus RX300 around but on close up it had a wing mirror on the passenger front wing and it also had the hinges for the rear square plates.
    It was registered as New in 05. Im pretty sure it was originally a Toyota Harrier but the dealer changed all the badges to lexus? Is that sort of thing legal? What would it say on the log book? Ive also spotted another O5 LHD Bmw X5, again registered as New but it may also have been a japanese import as most X5s over there are left hand drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

i saw a clk with american plates in BT Carpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Anyone seen the Escalade in Galway? It was brought in 2 years ago - the guy who has it is rumoured to have shipped a couple of extra set of tyres with it - seemingly only the truck tyre centres can change the 22" tyres!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fey! wrote:
    Anyone seen the Escalade in Galway? It was brought in 2 years ago - the guy who has it is rumoured to have shipped a couple of extra set of tyres with it - seemingly only the truck tyre centres can change the 22" tyres!
    That's a guy who has a stake in CPs. It truly is one of the most garish and tacky cars I've ever seen so it fits in with the vibe of the nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Robbo - everyone knows who it belongs to! Used you be a DJ in the club by any chance; your sentiments sound familiar!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nah, just been living in Galway all my life and been dragged into the belly of the beast a few times. The horror, the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

spotted an M5 on Nevada Plates on the M50 a while go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah turbo i also seen that clk on usa plates on 3rd floor in bt car park.

Advertisement