Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working On Your Own

• 31-12-2005 5:33am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend recently asked me if I'd check up on one of her friends house and check to see if what the builder was doing would be ok.

She wanted a report in writing stating yes or know if a beam a builder was putting in would hold up a wall.

The report its self would be simple but where would I stand if I wrote the report and gave it to the "client"?

Would my report stand up in court? Would I be liable if something went wrong?

As it turned out the builder did his own report but for future reference where would I stand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

If there was a problem with the beam you could be sued for professional negligence. If you plan on doing nixers of any significant value you should get PI cover. I have heard from mates that they are getting cover of 350K for about €1500 per year. These guys would have about 5-6 years consultancy experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Irjudge1 wrote:
    If there was a problem with the beam you could be sued for professional negligence. If you plan on doing nixers of any significant value you should get PI cover. I have heard from mates that they are getting cover of 350K for about €1500 per year. These guys would have about 5-6 years consultancy experience.

Dont have that much experience yet.

Probably wouldnt do anything like that due to what is said above but I heard there is a decent market out there for nixers

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MadMoss

When deciding to do nixors I judge them on a case by case basis. A lot depends on the client and architect (if any), i.e. would they support u or contemn u if the chips were down? Some people I just would not touch with a barge pole.
    Later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

It was my understanding Ronan that you needed to be a chartered engineer before you could be considered an 'expert' witness in court. However I may be wrong.

In any case, as an engineer in your early twenties, with under two years experience, I wouldnt put yourself in a position of liabilty such as this, regardless of how well you consider your knowledge/abilities. Im not sure of the legal ramifications, but even the fact that it was a friend you were 'helping' out would be a kick in the teeth if it turned out you were wrong, and they had spent money on pursuing a legal case on the assumption that the advice you gave them was right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was my understanding Ronan that you needed to be a chartered engineer before you could be considered an 'expert' witness in court. However I may be wrong.

In any case, as an engineer in your early twenties, with under two years experience, I wouldnt put yourself in a position of liabilty such as this, regardless of how well you consider your knowledge/abilities. Im not sure of the legal ramifications, but even the fact that it was a friend you were 'helping' out would be a kick in the teeth if it turned out you were wrong, and they had spent money on pursuing a legal case on the assumption that the advice you gave them was right.

Yeah thats right but a lot of people I know do planning applications and small things like that on the side. I suppose if things go wrong at this stage there is not alot that can be done to you except give back the money or re do it at your own expense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement