Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing cloakroom toilet and handbasin

• 31-12-2005 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭

Is there much involved in removing a downstairs toilet and handbasin and turning the room into a storage room?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Recently got this done - had a plumber in as I put my washing machine in there. I think it cost 50 euro and he had it finished in no time...seemed fairly easy - just needed to refill the wall and touch up with paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Once you can isolate the supply to the toilet and wash hand basin its no problem. You will have to plug the toilet wash and the waste from the basin, But that shouldn't be a problem your local heatmerchants will supp;y you with the necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thank you both for your replies. The toilet waste pipe goes into the floor (behind the base of the toilet), the access manhole is just outside the wall. We plan putting a shelf unit floor to near ceiling where the toilet and handbasin are and coat rack on opposite wall as the room will be used for storing. Now to get a plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

deisemum wrote:
    Thank you both for your replies. The toilet waste pipe goes into the floor (behind the base of the toilet), the access manhole is just outside the wall. We plan putting a shelf unit floor to near ceiling where the toilet and handbasin are and coat rack on opposite wall as the room will be used for storing. Now to get a plumber.

Deisemum
    Any good at diy?? Cutting water feed pipes a couple of inches above floor, install neat slim service valve and blank. Easy then to revert to original in years to come. Little made up timber box section along skirting if necessary to conceal what's left. One thing to note is when you remove toilet pan you are also removing a U bend, designed to prevent smells. If access to sewer is as handy as you say( is it a manhole or an "AJ", 12"square???) a proper plug inserted here will make the dead sewer pipe both water tight (any blockage later would first come up in this room (now the lowest point) ) and gas tight. Proper plug is made of 2 solid brass plates with big heavy rubber seal in between. When you tighten plates together you expand the rubber , ensuring a perfect fit.
    hope this helps
    r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

will this not decrease the vaule of the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,478 ✭✭✭✭Victor

blahblah06 wrote:
    will this not decrease the vaule of the house?
    Indeed, having an extra downstairs bathroom is a good selling point. Strictly speaking, you would be making hte building non-compliant with Part M of the Building Regulations and may make your house more difficult to sell form a purely legal point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

We converted and extended the existing garage at the side of the house which now has a playroom, utility room and downstairs bathroom/wetroom (2nd bathroom consisting of toilet, handbasin and shower - drain in floor so it's wheelchair accessible).

I'm a childminder and the original downstairs cloakroom would be better utilised for storage as my hall is overrun with buggies and 8 or 9 different carseats.

Hubby is a carpenter so I just wanted to find out how difficult it would be to get rid of the toilet and handbasin before I informed him of my plan. I told him anyway so he thinks it's a good idea. He knows a plumber but you can never be sure when he'd turn up. Bless him he has been decorating here all this week and will spend a few more weekends at it so I think the plumber is the best option as I don't fancy iffy pongs coming back to haunt us.

Thanks everyone for you help and advice.

Advertisement