Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 9600pro 256 AGP

Options
  • 31-12-2005 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have a geforce 3 ti200 /amd 2200 and 512 ram. Would the radeon 9600pro give me a reasonable boost in performance. I am not expecting miracles for 85 euro at komplett as I basically want to delay buying a complete new system. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd say save the money if you're planning a new system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jmponeill

Thanks for the reply but I will be keeping this setup as second basic system so I still need to know if the radeon will give a perfomance boost

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If it's for a basic system, I don't think you should spend more than ~€45; just look for the cheapest "silent" solution (ie, a card without a fan). RAM or a faster harddrive will give a bigger boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I have this exact card for sale if you're interested? Just upgraded this week. It will run Half Life 2 and Age of Empires 3 on normal settings

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/SAPGC005?speedtrapid=pricerunner&lead=pricerunner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

jmponeill wrote:
    I have a geforce 3 ti200 /amd 2200 and 512 ram. Would the radeon 9600pro give me a reasonable boost in performance. I am not expecting miracles for 85 euro at komplett as I basically want to delay buying a complete new system. Thanks

This is my old card and the answer to your question is, no. Simple reason is, it only has 4 pixel pipelines so the increase in performance would be marginal; if any over your current card. The next big leap in performance for you would be when you buy a graphics card with at least 8 pixel pipelines and gddr3 memory, like this one..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jmponeill

Thanks all for the info I think I will stick to what I have for the moment. All the advice was much appreciated

Advertisement