Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 3 Fav Limerick Pubs And Why?

Options
  • 31-12-2005 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Whats Yor Fav 3 Pubs In The City ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Tom Collin's - no TV screens
    Locke Bar - perfect location outside
    Whitehouse - no TV screens

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Mojos - Cuz the staff are cool.
    Dick the Vans - Cuz you can smoke...heh
    BARRED FROM ALL THE REST!

The Whitehouse - Thats a GAY bar right?

The Whitehouse a gay bar? People there would not be amused about this. Except the gays there. I suppose gays are in the Mojo as well. ;) Is it a gay bar then? :)
    No offence!

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If the white house is a gay bar then it is the first I have heard of it.

as for three favorite pubs

Dolans. good music and you can bring your own instrument along if you like, or you can go in to see a gig in the warehouse if the mood takes you

the locke - great in the summer sitting outside with friends having a jar.

Unicorn - Not in the city centre and away from alot of the ****e that goes with saturday night in town.

probably we can call it "gay friendly"

• Advertisement

Inge Binge wrote:
    probably we can call it "gay friendly"

but all pubs are supposed to be gay friendly. equality and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

McDermott's - Ballylanders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

well I never .... I just read a post on this thread asking for the location of the Davin Arms ..... I answered .... and guess what .... my answer disapeared:( .... and so did the original question :eek:

now that's magic :p
    jh4uw8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

White House isn't a gay bar, though to be honest I've no idea what pubs in town are gay bars.

Curragower is a great bar, as is Dolans, Locke, Players, Nancy's and Flannery's on Catherine street is great for a quiet pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

hobie wrote:
    well I never .... I just read a post on this thread asking for the location of the Davin Arms ..... I answered .... and guess what .... my answer disapeared:( .... and so did the original question :eek:

jh4uw8.jpg

you are on the wrong thread - go to "most hated pubs"!!!!

• Advertisement

hobie wrote:

jh4uw8.jpg

you posted them in the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Oh B$$$$$ ...... I'm getting the 'Fav's Pubs' thread mixed up with the 'Hated Pubs' thread .... :o
    jh4uw8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

ok im SORRY i jus was told it was, ye know<snip>

billy the squid Please don ban me from the forum its jus been
    one hell of a night...lol

& there is plenty of gays in mojos all workin next dorr in the
    hairdressers(bare with me) and <snip> he gay 2.

<snip>

mod edit: I won't ban you but you will get a lengthy ban if you do such a thing again.

Also I will have no homophobic posts here. If you have evidence that a certain group of people are barred from a pub because of their sexual preferences, then it is a matter for the equality tribunals.

Ricey, what do you have against drinking in the same pub as a gay person? I don't see how anyone could be bothered by that. Sure I wouldn't be too keen on going to an out-and-out (boom boom) gay bar, but I've no problem sharing a regular bar with a gay person.

BTW, the above named person may well be gay, I don't know (I always thought he was just eccentric) but unless you're sure, don't say it, it could be libelous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Quins was always the gay bar in town. Not sure where is now, maybe the bar in Termites because that's where Bubblicious is (gay club)

Is Ricey homophobic then?

Back on topic of fave pubs, I like Mickey Martins off Thomas Street for a good night out with some good music playing. Also Dolan's for the gigs. For a good old local it has to be the Glen tavern, nice pub for a quiet couple of pints and the staff are sound.

giving the fact that "gays are barred" from a pub as the reason one likes that pub would fall under homophobia in my books.

besides, the post was reported.

Micky Martins is a great bar, pity they couldn't buy up the Central make Martins bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Mojo's is probably the top spot there imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

3 favourites are

Wicked Chicken tiny place next to the precinct good atmosphere

Mollys except on sat nites they had good free bbq's during the summer and not overcrowded

Costellos which I agree is a dump but they play some decent music,everywhere else seems to be pop or dance crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

the chicken,dolans (its great to see tourists taking pictures of pints being poured!) and i havent been to mojos yet, but i intend to check it out. quins was my favourite pub tho...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭sarah lk

ricey where u from in limerick?

Ended up celebrating the New Year in Daffy's on Catherine Street, now there is a unique pub. Great night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

happy ny all ..good to see somewhere for a bit of limerick banter:D
    chicken every now and again..music can be v.good.best of a bad lot imo for music
    Tom Collins's for the olde worlde pint
    dolans..great gigs from time to time
    Can;t understand peoples fascination with Costelloes..don;t feel comfortable there at all..could be cool if they spent a few quid on it cos lets face it, tis a kip
    Mickeys is ok but have heard some dj's playing some awful music in there amd tis a bit kippy as well..Mojos is nice place but its the same ol same ol when it comes to music and crowd..i wish a few pubs would break away from the charty safe stuff and be a bit more adventurous..but thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Glad someone metioned Mickey Martins even better since they put in the new fire place.

Slatterys on edward street nowhere better to get away from it all and have a quiet arthurs

Bobby Byrnes good food great screens and one of the best beer gardens in town

Also gotta mention Sexton and Flannerys on Shannon street best hot whiskey in limerick

Sexton on Shannon Street? Thought that was Myles Breen's? Or am I misreading the post and you mean Sexton's up on Henry Street?

The Corner Flag is the best spot to watch rugby matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 phonemonkey

Wicked chicken and nestors and anywere theres good craic .Why Nestors you may ask, well the reason is that all drinks are €3, even bottles of your usual smrinoff etc., that are €5 elsewhere. Was in there for new years and it wasnt too packed and the music was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Sorry meant sextons on henry st and flannerys on shannon st

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Over the Christmas the one thing my girlfriend complained about
    was that we never went out anymore. When we thought about
    it there was no place in Limerick that had any interest to us.
    We mainly stay at home and I get my drink from the off licence.
    Whily I am happy with this herself hates it.

Quinns was the one place we used to go but its closed down now.
    Costellos was another favourite even if it is a dump the place is relaxed.
    Wicked Chicken was also a sweet spot but a bit quite.

For those of us that hate chart and mainstream music and that dont
    want to conform to pubs "neat dress essential" policys theres
    feck all alternative places left in Limerick.

Termights has gone to the dogs and for someone thats heading into
    their 30's you would feel like a dirty old man going there with all
    the 15 years olds in there and besides they are still playing the exact same songs
    they were playing 15 years ago before the current customers were even born.

With the Whole Quinns debate heres my 2 cents/views:

I would call Quinns an Alternative bar not a gay bar
    as myself and all my friends and the majority of
    people I know from drinking in Quinns
    are not gay and drank there for years.

Quinns Was always an alternative bar where people could go dressed
    whatever way they liked and listen to music that was not Chart music or
    main stream music. When I use the word alternative I do not mean Gay.
    Quinns was branded a Gay bar originally in writing by one years
    edition of UL's student handbook when in fact (at the time)
    it mainly consisted of Bikers/Metalers/Goths/Indi-heads/Muppets/old fellas
    while it always was known to be a place that may have been
    gay friendly it was frequented by people of all sexual preferences
    but none of which was a majority. Leading upto a few years before it closed
    there was lot more gay customers than in the past and they did have music in the
    back room like a kind of mini club orientated towards gay people rather
    than straight people which is probably due to poeple being more openminded and more people coming out and could also have somthing to do with most of the bikers and metalers moving to the high stool bar.

~B
    http://bullets.gothic.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

bullets.ie wrote:
    Termights has gone to the dogs and for someone thats heading into
    their 30's you would feel like a dirty old man going there with all
    the 15 years olds in there and besides they are still playing the exact same songs
    they were playing 15 years ago before the current customers were even born.
    http://bullets.gothic.ie

Touché. Haven't been to Termights since it moved up to The Globe. I remember The Globe was mental a few years back, on Sunday nights it was a pound a pint.

Regarding pubs, I was in Tom Collins' for the first time just before Christmas and I have to say I liked it. One of my friends remarked on the smell of farts in the place, but this, you see, is a good thing, because it shows that the Guinness must be good if people are drinking so much of it to form such a cloud.

It's hard to list three favourites, there are so many to choose from, it depends on the occassion and the company. I suppose I'd go for Mickey's, Player's and maybe the wine bar in the basement of Brown Thomas, although I've never ever drunken there, it's just the idea of having a whore of a session down there appeals to me.

• Advertisement

There is a Wine Bar in the Brown Thomas basement? Where? Would really love to have a decent real Wine Bar in Limierick! Or do you mean the Café in the Men's Department?

IB

Advertisement