Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop wlan, suddenly gone please help

• 31-12-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I have had router problems and until they were sorted I couldn't prove the wlan on my sony laptop was malfunctioning but I think I now have.
    Firstly yes the wlan is switched on (I always get asked that, they never ask blokes things like that)
    My laptop sees the router, connects no problem and tells me all is well but web pages will not load, I get the firefox error page.
    If I connect to the router via a cable same thing, no web pages.
    If I connect directly to the cable (wireless isp) I have no problems at all.
    I also connected a usb adapter to my laptop and again all is perfect.

I have taken off wep settings and throughout all this my desktop has never given any hassle. I am using a linksys wrt54 gs router and the corresponding usb adapter for desktop (which when connected to laptop gives perfect interent access) Until about a month ago the alptop was perfect.

The computer is 6 months old, cherished and not used very often. Having had a major run in with sony's service dept before (over a photo printer with missing parts) I would do anything to avoid having to deal with them again

If anyone could help me here I'd be very grateful :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Do you get an IP address from the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

djmarkus wrote:

Yes (she says shakily, being only 95% sure)

Also my carp xda 2, the single most contrary piece of technology I have ever had to deal with is connecting fine to the router. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Firstly yes the wlan is switched on (I always get asked that, they never ask blokes things like that)
    Yes they do - especially as the FS series and one or two others kindly hide the switcher :)

The VAIO Link is a completely seperate dept. than any of the printer service..

Your grammar is making it rather difficult to understand your point,tbh.

If I connect to the router via a cable same thing.
    Er.. this would suggest a router issue still.

Plain and simple:
    - Please open a command prompt when connected- ipconfig /all
    And paste the result here.

- What model VAIO do you have?

- Is the USB dongle for the PC a LinkSys dongle?

- Does it work OK without encryption (i.e WEP)?

Additional:
    - Best test: Create an AdHoc Connection between the laptop and PC (Remove the router)

Karoma wrote:
    Yes they do - especially as the FS series and one or two others kindly hide the switcher :)

The VAIO Link is a completely seperate dept. than any of the printer service..

Your grammar is making it rather difficult to understand your point,tbh.

Er.. this would suggest a router issue still.

Plain and simple:
    - Please open a command prompt when connected- ipconfig /all
    And paste the result here.

- What model VAIO do you have?

- Is the USB dongle for the PC a LinkSys dongle?

- Does it work OK without encryption (i.e WEP)?

Additional:
    - Best test: Create an AdHoc Connection between the laptop and PC (Remove the router)

No it does not work without wep. I apologise for my grammar. I really have no reason for thinking it is my router when 3 other pcs can connect to it fine but I am sure you know best.:)

It isn't a dongle, it is a usb adapter with antenna (I would have said dongle) and it is the "corresponding adapter" the wusb54 gs

I can't do an ip config at the moment as I am not at home but will do so later today. Thanks for your help so far.

Sorry, I should have said it would suggest a likely/possible router issue. It could also be the configuration your computer. But it would suggest that it's not limited to the WLAN hardware if it occurrs when using the Ethernet port.

Dongle = "A physical device, attached to a PC's port, that adds hardware capabilities."
    Reason for asking: Trying to determine if it's an incompatibility issue with Intel's hardware.

Please also ensure that SpeedBooster (And any proprietary settings) are disabled.

No harm in downloading a firmware update for the router.
    Also, check for WLAN and BIOS updates on www.vaio-link.com

Again, can you please specify the model of the VAIO?

• Advertisement

firmware was updated 10mins after router was set up less than a week ago and is up to date. I do take your point that it seems to be a router problem until you factor in that 1 pc, 1 pocket pc and one passing by dell laptop belonging to a rep all connect brilliantly and up until 3 weeks ago so did this laptop of mine (and if I use anything other than the wlan or cable to router connection, it still does) .

Again i am not at home and I would hate to specify an incorrect model number lest it cause the universe to implode :)

imposion's bad.mmmkay.

Alternative solution: Try a System Restore back 3 weeks+ :)

(Again: you posted asking for help .This is it. I'm not telling you what to do, and I'm not telling you to do it now. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

djmarkus wrote:

I've seen this before with VAIO

From my experience it's one of three things.

Windows Firewall being on
    or
    DHCP (never worked on my VAIO after SP2)
    or

The supplied Norton........ If you install Norton before configuring your W/LAN it has a tendency to block it. I find it hilarious because Sony blames Windows, windows blame Norton and Norton sit's there screaming "update update"

Ru wrote:
    I've seen this before with VAIO

From my experience it's one of three things.

Windows Firewall being on
    or
    DHCP (never worked on my VAIO after SP2)
    or

The supplied Norton........ If you install Norton before configuring your W/LAN it has a tendency to block it. I find it hilarious because Sony blames Windows, windows blame Norton and Norton sit's there screaming "update update"

No amount of torture would make me install Norton, I am phobic about their products :D

In the end since there wasn't much on the pc I just reformatted and went from there and all is well. For the moment. (Well until the next disaster which is due this afternoon as I am a net1 customer and they're changing suppliers and it will be such fun when stuff goes wrong on me for no reason :rolleyes: )

vampyre wrote:
    No amount of torture would make me install Norton, I am phobic about their products :D

I've heard horror stories too, however i use Norton Internet Security 2005 with Lavasofts Adware AND Spybot 1.4 and i've never had any problems since........ and i've had serious problems with viruses in the past........
    but to each there own.........

• Advertisement

I use panda platinum which is ok and adaware and spybot as well :D. Norton at best makes my pcs slow and at worst crashes them. Even norton ghost went deranged on me. It's obviously an intense personal dislike because they prefer blondes :D:D
    I also remembered to use keep total uninstall from now on just in case ;)

vampyre wrote:
    I use panda platinum which is ok and adaware and spybot as well :D. Norton at best makes my pcs slow and at worst crashes them. Even norton ghost went deranged on me. It's obviously an intense personal dislike because they prefer blondes :D:D
    I also remembered to use keep total uninstall from now on just in case ;)

Just remember to save everything to the D drive, if you ever have to re-install it won't touch the D drive unless you change the partition sizes.

Thank you! All remedial help greatly appreciated :)

Advertisement