Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Choosing first car?

Options
  • 31-12-2005 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Yes its another who of "what car will i topics"! Sorry!

Anyway, ive been driving motorbikes for 4 and a half years and have a full licence, but i want to buy a car also now. Im 22 and im in the middle of doing some lessons. I want to buy a car that i wont want to sell after a few months or a year, i want a car that i will be happy with for a few years.

I got 2 quotes off quinn direct the other day, i will ring other companies during the week. I was quote €2050 TPFT on a 1.4 golf worth €7000. And €1950 on a 1.2 punto worth €4000.

Now ideally i would LOVE to buy a mkiv golf, think they are absolutely lovely cars, especially with little touches like alloys. Only problem at the moment is im waiting to see if i get my loan from the bank and i probably will only have about 5grand on a car. Can anybody else recommend any other cars? Ideally i would like a 1.4 car, especially seeing as a smaller car wont save me much on insurance at all. If i cant find any cars that i like i may just save some cash for the next few months and try get a mkiv golf, but any other suggestions are gratefully accepted :)

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You'd probably get a decent 1.4 polo/ibiza/fabia for that price range, Not quite a Golf but I'd prefer one to a Punto anyday, and they'd hold their value much better for when you do resell.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

get a civic. Cheaper than the golf, a nice bit quicker and equivalant or cheaper insurance if you get an irish one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

elusiveguy wrote:
    get a civic. Cheaper than the golf, a nice bit quicker and equivalant or cheaper insurance if you get an irish one!!!

A civic has an awful name as a boy racer car tho doesnt it? I would expect the civic to up my insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

post 96 was 1500 euro cheaper on insurance than the previous model and 500 cheaper than a golf for me. Its also very easy to spot and avoid utter boyracers junk... but honda engines tend to lose power if not rev'd so avoid granny mobiles too. What part of the counrty are you in?

I live in Dublin. Both my parents have civic's. My dad's is a 2002, and my mum's is a 1999. Both 1.4. I really really like golf's, and a civic would be a close second, but the only reason i havent got a quote on one yet is cos of all the story's ive heard about them being boy racer cars and large on insurance. No harm in getting a quote tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Im 19/m 1st prov licence and i got a quote of 1800 tpft on a '99 1.4 golf CL.
    I got a letter from the guy giving me lessons to say i had done 25 lessons and Quinn Direct give a years no claims bonus to ya straight away.
    I havnt actualy done 25 so its a good saving.
    I also found that It made no major diff if i had a 1.2/1.3/1.4 even a 1.6 focus was the same as the 1.4 golf.
    Im going for a golf but just waiting on the right one to turn up.
    Ive seen a few under 6k but some got sold b4 i got to them and others had small things wrong(im fairly fussy).
    Don't settle for anything your not happy with....i almost went and bought a 99 corsa 1.2 that was going fairly cheap but i wouldnt have been happy with it even though its not a bad car. and I would have wanted to get a bigger car within a year of driving it.

PS who you get yuour quote from?

My quote was from quinn direct. Havent had a chance to ring anybody else yet.

If it means ive to wait an extra month or two i would rather wait and get something i really wanted, than just buying something i wouldn't have been happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mazda 323f (Astina) 1.5. Older type 95>

bulletproof reliability, nice engines, frameless doors, not as obvious as a civic etc.

i've been "buying" a car for almost 6 months now because i wanna wait till i get the right one.I havnt needed one as of yet but i will need to get one in the next 3 months.
    I wanna get a 3door if im getting a hatchback coz I personnaly dont think they look right with for doors (apart from the golf)

I like the look of the mazda 323, always thought they were a nice looking car. Hmmm......keep the ideas coming lads, it's giving me plenty to think about!

• Advertisement

what about an '00 1.4 astra sport?
    Only a little bit more costly to insure then the golf.Could be hard to find a good one cheap though.

how about a last of the line '95 Audi 80, very elegant

http://cars.uk.freeads.net/cache/images/258961.jpg

I got onto FBD today to try get a quote, but they said they wouldnt quote me until i had a full licence for 5 years!!!

BrynW wrote:
    I got onto FBD today to try get a quote, but they said they wouldnt quote me until i had a full licence for 5 years!!!

subtitles: "F**k off!"

Yeah pretty much! Will try hibernian tomorrow

Advertisement