Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring

Options
  • 31-12-2005 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi lads I was loking at floors today and was thinking of getting the really dark wood walnut. does anyone have this i am just wondering what it is like down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you have kids....

FORGET IT

Walnut, although probably the nicest wood flooring you can get, it will break your heart. It is extremely soft and dents if you drop a sponge on it. You will want to take it up after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Well i dont have kids. why is it extremely soft like? is it that bad

i also meant to say it is laminate

Walnut is a soft wood, which is why it dents easily, but seeing as its laminate, it shouldn't make a difference.

Ah thanks lex so its ok to get it in laminate. I would love to see it down on the floor the one im getting is a legacy mocha walnut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As a laminate alright u should be grand but my mates put it down, semi solid and his wifes heel marks have it destroyed!

yop what is it like down. does it over power the rooms or is it much better then the normal wood

blahblah06 wrote:
    yop what is it like down. does it over power the rooms or is it much better then the normal wood
    I've only ever seen it down once and it was in a real contempory style house and it suited it. I think you should stick with really light wall colours when using walnut (white looks best) and lots of glass/mirrors..

I wouldn't recommend dark wall colours with walnut. Its a hard colour floor to match up to. If you're the type who gets sick of wall colours often, I'd suggest you go for soemthing more neutral like oak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The floor brings in more light than the walls, by reflecting the light that comes in the windows; if you get a dark floor it's going to be a fairly dark room. Of course, you might prefer that.

well i do prefer dark because most of my furniture will be black leather / tiles etc. I was always going to do the wall in a light colour bar one bedroom i was going to do in Blue. i dont think i could just leave a wall white though. maybe cream

• Advertisement

blahblah06 wrote:
    well i do prefer dark because most of my furniture will be black leather / tiles etc. I was always going to do the wall in a light colour bar one bedroom i was going to do in Blue. i dont think i could just leave a wall white though. maybe cream
    Just because you have dark furniture, does not necessarily mean you have to go with dark floor. Really you should be trying to contrast the floor with the furniture.

I would prefer a white wall to cream wall anyday, but you do need a perfect finish on your wall for white paint. If you're not a fan of an all white wall, consider splitting it up with a dado, with cream in the bottom 3rd and white on the top 2/3rds.

I'd have another think about the floor colour with your dark furniture before you splash out on the walnut floor. Just my 2c.

I just think that the walnut is a lot more richer looking then the standard yellowy wood

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Check this web site/link:
    http://www.quick-step.com/range.aspx?floortint=1&id=3&sound=N
    -Perspective 4®- UF1000E
    -Eligna 950 Country- U1013E

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As per Lex said exactly!! Looks well in the right setting

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

yop wrote:
    As per Lex said exactly!! Looks well in the right setting
    Exactly We put Walnut down in a shop we were working in, Looked brilliant but any scrathes or marks will show more that say white oak or something lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Some pics of a semi solid walnut i laid over the christmas....
    LOL My choice of words could be better :D:o:D

wow charles that looks gorgeous were did u get that flooring and what sthe exact name

RMK Flooring,
    Cookstown Ind Est, Tallaght.

They are a wholesaler/importer who don't tend to deal with the public.
    But if you speak to Ray @ 01-4525233 i guess he'll look after you, he didn't have any trouble dealing with me and i just walked in of the street, nice guy too and free flowing advice. €700 for what you see, underlay & glue included. 18 sq mtrs.
    what sthe exact name
    Antler Semi-Solid Walnut

Kool ill check it out. gonna go to des kellys and see what the story is up there on there sale first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Razcro

Hey,

Just thought I'd show you mine (well, my parents floor, in my room). I find it a great floor. Looks good. If you do get a walnut just go easy on it and it will be fine. The only time I have scratched mine is when movers slid a desk on it when I was moving in. Other than that I havent put a mark on it.

Best of luck,

Raz

• Advertisement

Great pictures of the walnut floors...

hey lads thx for the pics. anyone got an idea of what colour to go for with these floors. ill get pics posted of my floor as soon as its fitted

Have you bought them yet, where did you get them?
    I read an advert last night, DesKelly, solid oak, free fitting for €30ish per sq yard. Seems like a real bargin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Razcro

We have buttercup walls and white skirting boards. Its a nice contrast

hi charles i bought them 3 weeks ago. there not solid just laminated because the solid mark too easy

Advertisement