Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to score free kicks?

Options
  • 31-12-2005 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

anyone got any advice on scoring from free kicks, i tend to get loads of free kicks all around the edge of the box but cant convert any of them
    just looking for some advice cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im the same! Ive had pro evo 4 for over a year and if i hit the post or crossbar its an achievement...even with roberto carlos. I doubt it's any easier with the new evo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

that said the computer opposition often score ffrom similar positions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

R2 will be your saviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You need more fingers :)

When you have the shoot bar going up press Triangle for it to dip , square for a lofted free. Holding R2 allows you to bend it in midflight. So shooting and touching Tri and holding R2 to bend it in the empty side of the net should at least work the keeper tbh that all you can do.

Do the training and challenges explains everythin in there.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I'm playing PES4 at the moment and here's a slightly easier way of doing things.

First of all you need to decide what power you're going to give the shot. If you're just outside the box, then you'll need to give it the lowest power possible i.e. you'll need to hold DOWN before you build up the power bar.
    Then, while holding down, build up the power bar so that its just below the half way mark. Then, as soon as you've stopped building up the power bar, hold DOWN plus a direction, LEFT if it is a right footed player, RIGHT if it is a left footed player.

If you're using roberto carlos, then the best free kick area for him is just outside the area and to the right hand side of the goal as you are looking at it. Line up the free kick so that you'll be shooting between the heads of the players in the wall. DOWN + (power just less than half) + RIGHT = Savage goal.

On the other hand, if you've got a free kick on the other side of the goal you should use a right footed player like ronaldinho or beckham. In this case its:
    DOWN + (power just less than half) + LEFT = another savage goal.

Note that it is actually possible to score freekicks from the "wrong" natural side for the player, but it is slightly more difficult.

If you're further out, say about 25-30 metres, then you'll need more power in the shot. You'll still be building it up to the same power but this time, don't hold DOWN before you build up the power.

I scored a gorgeous freekick with Andy Reid playing with Ireland from the "wrong" side and a fair way from goal too last night. Really satisfying.

If you're over 30m from the goal, then you're asking a lot to score a free kick. So if you're trying from here you're only having a laugh anyway :)
    But to do so, do exactly as described above except hold UP before you build up the power bar.

This is for PES4. I played PES3 and the amount you needed to build up the power bar varied between games so I can't really speak for PES5, I haven't played it yet.

Hope this helped, practise for about an hour in training and then you should be grand.

• Advertisement

Did this help anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

scoring in pes4 is way easier then pes5 tho anyway. Could work the same tho, dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I use a combination of holding L1 and R2 to dink it over the wall into the unprotected half of the net. Seems to work quite well for me. Power up to about/just over halfway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

christ if i hit the crossbar once more i'll fukkin scream.. havent scored a free kick in weeks.. one of my mates knocks em in for fun and it wrecks my head. will have to give this training lark a try..

Roar wrote:
    christ if i hit the crossbar once more i'll fukkin scream.. havent scored a free kick in weeks.. one of my mates knocks em in for fun and it wrecks my head. will have to give this training lark a try..
    Its well worth it. Its essential to be able to score free kicks. It means that when you are playing a mate who gets immense satisfaction out of hacking your player down just outside the box when you're through on goal and getting away with it then you can punish him.

By the way, is it really that much more difficult to score goals in 5?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Well in PES5 it's much easier to score goals from crosses so it evens out a bit.

Another important thing about freekick scoring is a bit of variation. I scored a sweet goal yesterday when Yamada rolled the freekick to Rooney, who smashed it in near post. And shooting with the player standing over the ball also catches the wall off guard.

And of course the player's style of freekick makes a big difference too. I used to never be able to score with Beckham's technique, but had no problem with Zidane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I have to say that anyone who has played PES5 should agree, that it is alot easier to score freekicks than the previous edition.

On the XBOX, once you are within 30m of the goal you should be at least testing the keeper, if not rattling them in on a regular basis!!

Aim the distance marker [25m] just off center, [ie, if the free is on the left of the box, aim it just to the right of center] put the power bar at half way, press the top left diagonal of the d-pad, From there, hold the black button as the player prepares to shoot, this should automatically help in placing the shot on target.

It may take a few attempts to perfect but once one goes in you won't ever have trouble again.

Granted that it's possible to hit the bar from 45m out, [Roberto Carlos] but anywhere from 30 - 18m, Ronaldinho, Henry, Zidane, Alex etc... easy!

Hope this helps.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don't think I've ever scored a freekick on PES4 but I've sent plenty flying in on PES5 with Van Bommel, Deco, Ronaldinho, Carlos, Beckham, Henry, Alonso etc.

Best thing about free kicks in these games is that it is technically possible with any player in the game - its just difficult with the rubbish players.

Anyone try scoring free kicks with Chilavert? I got a few I think on one of the older ISS Pro games, funny to see the keeper running around celebrating getting a goal. Is Chilavert one of the unlockable players in PES 4/5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya hes unlockable in 5anyway, cant remember about 4 actually but i presume so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I don't play PES5 much, but free-kicks are my speciality. Just spend an hour or two in training mode and experiment.

I find that if you are JUST outside the area, and your free-kicker is decent, you can just tap cirlce(like 5% of the guage), and it usually floats into the top corner.
    down,R2,nothing,R1,up is the power control. I forget the distances to use each at, i just use my instinct.
    Press the guage exactly half way. If it is fractionally over half-way, then press dip(L1) from the moment he kicks it. Otherwise, press it just as the ball is going over the wall.
    Of course curl it. Combining the dipping and culring, the ball is travelling a substantially longer distance and thus has more time to dip. If you find you're hitting the crossbar, immediately check the replay to see how close the ball was to the wall. If it wasnt very close, you hit the guage up to far. If it was close to the yop of the wall(ie inches), you would have been better to go down a power level (eg pressing nothing to pressing R2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

I find tapping the R2 or trigger on xbox, while the free kick is in flight gives more dramatic curl than holding it

Advertisement