Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/most convincing bad guy

Options
  • 31-12-2005 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

So who do you reckon is the best baddie of them all? I won't bother with a poll as there's just too many to remember and alot of the games have 2 or 3 of the things.

Sephiroth would probably be the "coolest" bad guy but I'm not going to say he's the best. I just don't really think he's all that convincing. And I can't put my finger on the reason behind it.... Although I may well be missing something as usual.

Seymour was an okay bad guy from the point of view that you did actually want to kill him and X-death sort of has that feeling about him too.

I have no idea who the bad guys were in VIII as they appeared from nowhere.

Kuja was allright, he had a few cruel and destructive characteristics about him which made him quite a good bad guy but he was a bit of a wimpy boy tbh and didn't really have much of a baddie appearance about him, going round in a bellytop for half the game and so forth.

Personally I liked kefka the best, the laugh was great and the he sort of created an evil atmosphere around him. He was, to me, one of the only bad guys who was evil with no redeemable qualities whatsoever.

Therefore
    1. Kefka
    2. Kuja
    3. The fellows in V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I agree with your comments about VIII. I mean where the fudge did Ultimecia come from?!

My best bad guy vote goes to Sephiroth, cos he's like a Fallen Angel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say Kefka is the best. Love how his character develops. He seems like a comic character at the start, the bumbling henchman. But it's not until he poisons a whole castle that we learn the true extent of his evil. From then on all of his actions are pure malicious. Of course there was also the laugh. Still I would like a better explaination for his actions other than him being mad.

I liked Sephiroth. His actions aren't well explained until you realise he was a puppet of Jenova. Love the way right at the end when we realise he was nothing without Jenova. Quite a tragic and pathetic bad guy in the end, which I like.

However no FF bad guy or any in a game can match Suikoden 2's mad prince Luca Blight. Suikoden has a policy were no character is truly evil. Luca goes on a crazed genocidal war against the free state cities and slaughters thousands of innocnets. However it's not until you learn why he has gone mad and the reason for his hatred of the free state cities and his father that you really appreciate his character. Although what he does is totally wrong you understand why he is doing it. Best of all is that you actually pity him for all he went through. It's unfortunate a lot of the ordeal he faced was cut from the English version since it is really disturbing but thankfully you can get all the info in www.suikosource.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slightlycrazy

Sephiroth defitenly. No contest and I'm not sure what retrogamer is on about cause I have a totally different interpretation of those events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cloud wasn't the super cool hero type. We see in the flashback that he is nothing compared to Sephiroth. He didn't even get into SOLDIER. Sephiroth should have murdered him. But with Jenova destroyed along with Safer Sephiroth Cloud was capable of destroying him. Just look at Sephiroths shocked face when he dies. Remember that the Sephiroth you see and face up to that point is a projection of Sephiroths spirit that exists because of the immense power that Jenova lends Sephiroth. Sephiroths real body is crystalised in the Norhtern Crater (the Sephiroth cloud gives the black materia to). You face the real Sephiroth, his unpolluted spirit so to speak, when you are taken into the life stream by him at the end.

Anyway it would be boring if Sephiroth was just a 'cool' bad ass bad guy. i like my Enemies to have depth.If you read into the dialogue of the game more you will realise it.

No i got all that myself. Thats easy to figure out. Nut obviously enough cloud has matured in his fighting skills thruout the game. The bit I'm complaining about is "when we realise he was nothing without Jenova".
    He was something but cloud obviously had improved enough to destroy him. His shocked face could be his shock at how much cloud had improved.

• Advertisement

I wish he hadn't improved then we wouldn't have him flying around like Superman in Advent Children *shudder*. Probably should have said Sephiroth was only human not nothing without Jenova.

Right thats cool. Yeah in AC he defeated everyone way too easy for my liking
    especially sephiroth at the end... gud movie though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Spoiler Warnings!! Someone was just recently posting that they're playing FF7 for the first time and not past the first disc

I haven't the time to spoilerfy everything in all the recent threads but if people want I can do it to any new ones. Just thought everyone and their dog played FFVII and anyone playing it at the moment shouldn't be reading threads like this or even be reading a FF forum unless they finished it. I'd be putting a warning out to tell people to use spoiler tags as well. I'm not babying any of you, do it yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Oh God, Kefka by a long distance... he was one of the only bad guys i truly believed was pure evil, sure Sephiroth had that
    planet thing
    but Kefka was just venom.

Click for that warm retro FF6 feeling...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DrJohnnyFever

Actually, Garland is the greatest FF boss of all time because, well, I just have to be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I hated them all

Sephiroth especially, then Kuja then Seymour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iofur

Roffles...Ultemecia! Biggest waste of time EVER ! I think the writers just got lazy!

Kuja, meh, get over your bloody mid-life crisis monkey boy!

Sephiroth over-rated momma's boy!!!!

If you ask me, Jenova! Deliciously evil, and UGLY to boot

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Go on the Sephiroth!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 miss_cheif

Sephiroth! Most complecated bad guy I've ever known.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

For me the Sephiroth and Jenova combination definately wins.
    I kinda liked Edea for a breif moment in FFVIII but she got so whiny I wished she could have died. Then Ultimecia steps in and it all goes downhill from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

I would say Seymour if he wasn't a Sephiroth clone so it is Vegnagun- oops, sorry, I really mean Jenova <cough>.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Cronus333 wrote:
    I would say Seymour if he wasn't a Sephiroth clone so it is Vegnagun- oops, sorry, I really mean Jenova <cough>.

Hey, hey! Everyone! He's promoting X-2.

Someone hold his arms, I'll punch him in the crotch until he loses consciousness.

KHSSSSSSssssssss

Maybe we should change the charter and ban people who admit liking FFX-2 :D

• Advertisement

Or introduce paddling...

Weeaboo... Weeaboo... Weeaboo...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I like the opening menu music in FFX-2.

Will that get me a slap on the wrist :p

Menu music and the abyss of the farplane are acceptable. Anything else and the ninja wombats will be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 miss_cheif

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Menu music and the abyss of the farplane are acceptable. Anything else and the ninja wombats will be released.
    Agree! Music good, the rest worse then bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 3C.

The alternate endings in X-2 really pissed me off.

as for bad guys, Sephiroth so far is my favourite.
    The worst has to be FFX's final boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Sephiroth and I thought Rufus was cool. He had style haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Sephiroth and I thought Rufus was cool. He had style haha

Rufus had a nice white suit type....uh thing, there were like 2 layers going on with that jacket. it was cool.
    does Reno count as a bad guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Yes, yes he does count as a bad guy :)

Reno was a badass i think, and played the part well in AC imo ^-^

The true badguy though would be Sephiroth, granted he doesn't like genocide as much as Kefka, he's still pretty evil. Closely followed by Kefka ofc and i'd throw Kuja in there too, just for keepsake.

I know i should get a beating for saying this, but
    Shuyin was a bit of a nasty bloke also, wanting to kill everything with Vegnagun because of the Yevon war over 1000 years previously was a bit crazy tbh, he's a few cans short of a six-pack i think

• Advertisement

Yes, yes he does count as a bad guy :)

Reno was a badass i think, and played the part well in AC imo ^-^

The true badguy though would be Sephiroth, granted he doesn't like genocide as much as Kefka, he's still pretty evil. Closely followed by Kefka ofc and i'd throw Kuja in there too, just for keepsake.

I know i should get a beating for saying this, but
    Shuyin was a bit of a nasty bloke also, wanting to kill everything with Vegnagun because of the Yevon war over 1000 years previously was a bit crazy tbh, he's a few cans short of a six-pack i think

Renos part in AC was really good. and
    true Shuyin had that "insane ghost taking out frustration on the living" going on....he even had evil eyebrows. Him and vegnagun were beter bad guys than the ones in FFX, yu yevon was A SPIDER, i was so disapointed with that, too bad there wasn't a "rolled up newpaper" attack comand

I think sephiroth is winning ^^

Advertisement