Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/most convincing bad guy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

3C. wrote:
    I think sephiroth is winning ^^

Someone else summed him up very well:

Sephiroth is a whiny emo fag with a mother complex.

Coolness does not make a good character. I'll admit he is rather cool at times but certainly not the most convincing bad guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Sephiroth imo looks too effeminate to be cool, I mean just look at the guys hair, are you telling me he doesn't have to condition the **** out of that?, and the way he has his top open to near his navel, is he hawking for a center spread in Maxim/FHM?. I can't really think of any of the bad guys in the FF series that stood out for me, they all seem to have an identical meglomaniac personality..

Laguna wrote:
    Sephiroth imo looks too effeminate to be cool,

I wasn't referring specifically to his physical appearance. Although there is something rather cool about his sword and all that carry on.

Before we see the guy we stop in Kalm and hear Cloud blather on for some time about how big and great sephiroth is and then he bashes a big serpent and puts it on a stick for the laugh. And then there's the bit where he's walking through the fire after sacking the village.

I just didn't find him a good bad guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 President Rufus

Sephiroth for me. He's pretty bad ass. Compare him to the likes of seifer, seifer was a peice a crap compared to him + he kills a charachter which is muchos bonus points in my book. Sword and outfit are cool also. - points on the hair, he should go for a cru cut

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Nah, It's got to be Kefka

"My sweet little magic user...! Uweee, he, he! With this Slave Crown I'll practically OWN you!!"

Sephiroth wents nuts for a reason - Kefka just wanted the world

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with Sephiroth was that it wasn't a particularly good reason for him to go nuts. Kefka on the other hand was nuts from the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Sephiroth was brilliant for the way he made you hate him as the game went on, and for coolness of course. And there was a lot of depth to uncover too.

Seymour is a very interesting baddie too. At first I hated him, probably his camp look and voice had a lot to do with it, but when I found out more about him on side quests and about his parents it all adds up and I started to sympathise with him a little.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The problem with Sephiroth was that it wasn't a particularly good reason for him to go nuts. Kefka on the other hand was nuts from the beginning.

That's true. Sephiroth went nuts because he wanted his mother.

I seem to recall an explanation for Kefka being slightly insane due to him being the first one to get one of those magitek infusion jobbies. Needless to say it went a bit wrong. An NPC said it so I can't get the exact quote.

Combining that with his desire, from square one, to betray Gestahl and take over the world gives somewhat of a better motive I might add.

I liked Seymour as a bad guy too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

grimloch wrote:
    I seem to recall an explanation for Kefka being slightly insane due to him being the first one to get one of those magitek infusion jobbies. Needless to say it went a bit wrong. An NPC said it so I can't get the exact quote.

Combining that with his desire, from square one, to betray Gestahl and take over the world gives somewhat of a better motive I might add.

I liked Seymour as a bad guy too.

your right about Kefka. He was a failed experiment and was nuts since his creation. I think Cid explained this or else it was Gestahl
    when the empire surrendered
    . Then again Sephiroth was a failed experiment as well. I like the way Sephiroth was being fooled by Jenova into believing that he was her son when really he was just a more successful experiment.

As for Seymour. He seemed a bit of a perve to me after Yuna all the time. At least he didn't want to 'destroy the world'. A decent bad guy but (biggish FFX spoiler)
    Yunalesca was better. It wasn't really obvious if what she was doing was bad or not and even then she believed that what she was doing was the best for the world

I'm actually getting rather tired of bad guys in RPGs that are out to destroy the world for no better reason that they were bored, woke up one morning and decided to do something to be remembered by. Very few games have bad guys with realistic goals and reasons for setting out to do them. The bad guys in the Suikoden series are a good example of realistic bad guys (love the way nobody is truly bad or pure evil in the Suikoden world, even Luca Blight is a pitiful character when you learn the reason for his genocidal war).

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A decent bad guy but (biggish FFX spoiler)
    Yunalesca was better. It wasn't really obvious if what she was doing was bad or not and even then she believed that what she was doing was the best for the world

I must admit that I sort of missed that bit, in fact I'm fairly sure that part went completely over my head. Either that or I've forgotten it.

The bad guy out to destroy the world always adds a bit more of a "hero" element to things I think.

It seems, to me anyway, that games like Final Fantasy can nearly get away without putting in proper motivations for their bad guys. If they make him/her a cool character, the amount of people that question it seem to be outnumbered by those that don't. Sephiroth is an excellent example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've always been happy with Sephiroth and his 'reason'. I don't think his reason for going crazy was bad, maybe just a little pathetic. He was being tricked, manipulated, and lead, which I like because
    it mirrors Cloud. He's told he's a puppet, and he admits to being a weak person and lying to himself; all things that can be said about Sephiroth.

grimloch wrote:
    I must admit that I sort of missed that bit, in fact I'm fairly sure that part went completely over my head. Either that or I've forgotten it.

It was one of my favourite bits in the game.
    When they kill Yunalesca the party are terrified if they did the right thing or not especially Yuna since what she did according to her religion was sacrilage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

I'd have to say seymor gets my vote on the most anoying baddie :mad: pis*ed me off so much trying to kill him in the mountains.

For coolness it has to be Sephiroth

Was stuck on that boss for a while as well. Thought it was a superb boss fight. It you hadn't levelled up to ridiculous levels he was a real struggle and required loads of strategy to beat him. Shell and Protect have never been more useful :)

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Was stuck on that boss for a while as well. Thought it was a superb boss fight. It you hadn't levelled up to ridiculous levels he was a real struggle and required loads of strategy to beat him. Shell and Protect have never been more useful :)

That fight was horrible. So many controller tantrums. Not even those dark bastards annoyed me as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

how do you put in a spoiler?

In case anyone hasn't played it yet.

:rolleyes:

[*spoiler] oh my god the butler did it! [/spoiler]

Remove the asterix

Advertisement