Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertised opening times

Options
  • 31-12-2005 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

If a shop advertises that it's open from x-y, and decides to close early ... does someone have a (legal!) right to complain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

No as it is only information and it reasonable that a shop may vary its opening hours depending on the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Say, for example ... they did randomly closed early twice a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ciaranfo wrote:
    Say, for example ... they did randomly closed early twice a week ?

It's their shop, they can do what they like.

They were my thoughts Stekelly ... I just wanted to confirm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Complain to the shop manager & vote with your feet - shop elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The shop can be flexible with its opening hours, but why kick up a fuss with the week thats in it? the shop probably closed early for New Years eve and the bank holiday last Tuesday, right? Granted, they should have had signs up advertising that as a courtesy to customers however, its their shop, they can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Stekelly wrote:
    It's their shop, they can do what they like.
    Not totally true.
    If it advertised it's opening hours specifically in the media (press/radio/tv) (e.g. "we're Dublins only 24hr pet store") and they only opened 9am-5pm or closed early, you can complain to the ASAI as the advert is not truthful.

If it's just the sign outside the shop, you cant really do much about it as it wouldnt fall under the remit of the ASAI.
    If anything, it's just a bad sign of the business in question and I'd take your custom elsewhere if they didnt give a decent explanation as to why they closed early. (may be death in family if small business etc...)

whiskeyman wrote:
    If it's just the sign outside the shop, you cant really do much about it as it wouldnt fall under the remit of the ASAI.
    If anything, it's just a bad sign of the business in question and I'd take your custom elsewhere if they didnt give a decent explanation as to why they closed early. (may be death in family if small business etc...)

Not meaning to be smart but does it honestly bother you that much?Personally if I want to buy something in a particular shop, somethign trivial like this wouldnt make me walk away, and certainly would't be attempting to report them to anyone (even if the law permitted me to)

I've passed by a couple of did stores in my time that werent open "until nein" and the light outside (tallaght store in particular) was flashing OPEN. Can't say I felt particularly bothered though.

Stekelly wrote:
    Not meaning to be smart but does it honestly bother you that much?Personally if I want to buy something in a particular shop, somethign trivial like this wouldnt make me walk away, and certainly would't be attempting to report them to anyone (even if the law permitted me to)
    Read post again.
    The OP asked " does someone have a (legal!) right to complain?" if opening hours are advertised falsely.
    I gave an example where it could be the case that they can.
    I never suggested I had a problem with it.... and I dont see exactly how your being smart either.

Note that the ASAI is not a statuatory body and has no legal powers. Their only power is 'name & shame'.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote:
    Note that the ASAI is not a statuatory body and has no legal powers. Their only power is 'name & shame'.
    True, but they can still take action against members.
    Wherever a complaint is upheld, it is rarely (if ever) ignored.
    Just to get back on topic though, this would be the case where I mentioned that the opening times were a key part of a companys advertising message.
    ASAI wrote:
    Publication of Case Reports, including names of advertisers and agencies involved, is an important element of the self-regulatory system. An advertisement or sales promotion which breaks the rules must be withdrawn or amended and media will refuse to publish an advertisment which fails to conform with Code requirements.

A member who does not accept ASAI decisions may be disciplined by the Board and may be subject to penalties including fines and/or suspension of membership. These penalties are rarely invoked; there is a strong commitment to the self-regulatory system throughout the advertising business and ASAI adjudications are invariably accepted and implemented.

@RainyDay
    I have no objection to the shop doing it.... I just wanted to check the legalities.

@Whiskeyman
    There's just a sign in the window. No ads or anything, although they are a well known shop.

@Everyone
    As pointed out, I am simply talking about a legal right to complain/bitch/moan rather then you not liking it. I appreciate all the comments, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

did this shop close real early say three hours or did it close only half an hour before stated time?just a question out of intrest personally

you could just mention it in passing to the manager next time you see him there could be a genunie reason??i had to close my shop cause of a water leak one night but gladly it was onlt half an hour and i put a few signs out yet some ppl still didnt see them and got all narky with me and yes it would be bad managment for sign not to be placed around entrances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

You have a legal right to complain to the owner of the shop about anything regardless of circumstance. - even if your complaint is completely unreasonable

Slice wrote:
    You have a legal right to complain to the owner of the shop about anything regardless of circumstance. - even if your complaint is completely unreasonable

You might have a legal right to complain, but not by whatever means YOU see fit. Ie. the manager doesnt, by law, have to stand there for 4 hours while you rant at him, just because you say so. You can write a letter a it's your legal right to post it to the company, but it's there legal right not to read it if they choose.

At the end of the day, it stil comes down to the fact that they own the shop and can do as they like. They are under no obligation to open the shopat all, just like they can redfuse to sell you something if the mood takes them.

Stekelly wrote:
    At the end of the day, it stil comes down to the fact that they own the shop and can do as they like. They are under no obligation to open the shopat all, just like they can redfuse to sell you something if the mood takes them.
    Nearly right - they can refuse to sell you something for no particular reason. However, if their reason for refusal is discriminatory against any of the 9 grounds specified in law (Gender, Marital Status, Family Status, Age, Race, Religion, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Membership of the Traveller community), they would be breaking the law.

Advertisement