Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan exams shud be moved to early december!

Options
  • 31-12-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

hi
    Im new here and im a fourth year accounting student in tallaght.

I think it is ridiculous that the exams are in january, especially so early. this, while also ruining your christmas, puts you at a complete disadvantage in my opinion especially for students who havent got the environment at home where they can study during te holidays as the library is not open until the 3rd (i tink)

also if we get two weeks off after why couldnt the exams be pushed up to then at worst. i would have no problem. while i had little real problems in the past now that im in my final year i find the situation particularly bad.

we also start our semester much latr than most colleges and waste most of the time through inefficiency with lecturers always late and always letting classed out early.

anyone else have an opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No one here cares. Talk to your year Rep, she/he can talk with your year tutor and/or the SU. If they care then they may speak with the administration, who may then remake the schedual.

But don't bet on it.

I'd prefer it they were in late January, but there's no actual problem with it. Your problem is that you left your study until after term ended. I work in the library sometimes, and they had extra opening hours just so that students could study for the upcoming exams. So not only could you have gotten your study done in the nice quiet environment of the library, you could also relax over Christmas knowing you were prepared. Really, how did you last until fourth year leaving your study until after christmas.

Lesson? Don't waste time complaining on the internet, instead study while you have time, WHEN you have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

you havent a clue mate. How did i get by? I have the best G.P.A. on my course and probably one of the best in the college. my combined gpa for last year was 3.60 and i got 3.83 for the summer semester so i dont need any lectures on how to study from someone that ill bet i get far better results than.

I was one of the few people in the college during the week before xmas when the classes finished and due to the course workload and the inadequacy of some lecturing you need all the time you can get.

The library is anyting but quiet. its full of idiots that never stop talking and that includes some of the staff. also the "quiet" room is connected to the av room ,where the students spend most of the time watchin videos at ridiculous volumes, prepping for careers in chartbusters i suppose, and everyone in the quiet room could hear it quite loudly.

and i doubt i cud learn any lessons from you and you can tell you work in the library because any serious students that i have ment in my time feel the same.

and how could you possibly enjoy your xmas completely with your final exams hanging over your head. My opinion, while concerning all students to a varying degree, concerns final year students most who have real work to do so if you are not a final year student then you probably wouldnt understand.

also the library environment in tallaght is a disgrace with some of the people who work there being loader than the students and students generally bein allowed to talk as loud as they want.

Superdub2 wrote:
    you havent a clue mate. How did i get by? I have the best G.P.A. on my course and probably one of the best in the college. my combined gpa for last year was 3.60 and i got 3.83 for the summer semester so i dont need any lectures on how to study from someone that ill bet i get far better results than.

If everything is going so swimmingly then whats the problem?
    also the "quiet" room is connected to the av room ,where the students spend most of the time watchin videos at ridiculous volumes, prepping for careers in chartbusters i suppose, and everyone in the quiet room could hear it quite loudly.

Me=AV2, baby. Hahahaha... Chartbusters here I come!
    and i doubt i cud learn any lessons from you and you can tell you work in the library because any serious students that i have ment in my time feel the same.

That isn't a sentence. Stress getting to you?
    also the library environment in tallaght is a disgrace with some of the people who work there being loader than the students and students generally bein allowed to talk as loud as they want.

So the library should stay open more despite its crappiness and your non-studious home environment?

the problem for me MATE is that i and some other students have higher standards than most of the people around here. My primary concern is that my gpa mite be lower than 3.50

Also, yes i will do fine in the end but that is in no way down to the college facilitating my study.

How can you make a joke bout the fact that the av students make ridiculous amounts of noise and think of nobody but themselves. You obviously dont care about anybody else.

as for you doing AV, thats pathetic that you feel happy enough with your course to make jokes about it.

Yes of course the library shud stay open more, any serious college has similar facilities during exam time. Instead they close down! until a couple of days before the exams start

now that you told me you are AV it confirms everything that i thought, no wonder you dont have a clue, you are not a real student and you are probably living in a bubble which will eventually burst when you find yourself stacking shelves or working for doing promotions for fm104

Cutting insight! Let me share my own:

You don't like accounting, do you? In fact, you've started to regret doing it, but you always remind yourself that at least you won't end up stacking shelves, right? You'll go and makes lots of money.

But of course there's a degree of jealously. You don't like AV students because they don't have to do all the crap you do. So you feel the need to put them down.

When you spout crap about how AV students will end up with crap jobs, who are you actually trying to convince here...?

Oh yes. The answer, my near illiterate friend, is you.

And what, pray tell, is a "real student"? A person who works hard? AV students actually have a fuck load of work to do, its just that we actually enjoy it. We genuinely enjoy it. Can you say the same?
    as for you doing AV, thats pathetic that you feel happy enough with your course to make jokes about it.

Are you sure that what you were trying to say? The fact that I like the course I'm doing so much, that I am so secure in my choice, that I can make jokes about it, is a bad thing? Would it be better if I went online and started bragging about my superduper grades to convince myself and others that I made the right choice?

You're also a closet homosexual. Stop spamming the help forum, as amusing as it is, its also a bit pathetic.

EDIT:
    How can you make a joke bout the fact that the av students make ridiculous amounts of noise and think of nobody but themselves. You obviously dont care about anybody else.

And for the record, I've never disturbed other students.

• Advertisement

no actually i DO like accounting and you like most of the people who dont do accounting probably dont know the first thing about what the actual job of a qualified accountant entails, to put it simply it does not entail spending day after day in an office crunching numbers! So thats not a big deal because a lot of the people that do it probably dont like it and i will be making lots of money.

I am in no way jealous of AV students. Children are jealous of people who get to sit around all day watching tv and making radio and videos.

tell me wat job you aspire to have then? near illiterate? i doubt it but to be fair i dont spend all my time on the internet so maybe my posting could be polished but i dont care.

you have loads of work to do? keep telling yourself that. I do real work, my mate does AV and ive never seen him in the library and he does nothing and still coasts through.

You are not secure although you do believe it. id call it deluded.

as for the grades, while i am arrogant, you said my problem was that i didnt do enough study. you judged me without knowing anything about me so i thought id enlighten you.

Closet homesexual? dont even have to anser that. spamming? looking for genuine help which is not being provided to anybody, let alone myself.

you my friend are probably a ganggly spotty long black haired tall skinny bespeckled freak who works at the bags when everyone else is having a life and also speaks with an american accent! correct me if i am wrong?

Jesus dude do you take everything so seriously? I'm taking the piss, lighten up.

1 - No, I don't actually think you're a closet homosexual.
    2 - You're obviously not illiterate.
    3 - You do come across as rather defensive about your course.
    4 - You are very eager to start insulting AV for no apparent reason.
    5 - I didn't say anything about how much you study, I said something about when you study, as implied by your original post.
    6 - So what do accountants actually do?
    7 - Superman sucks.

EDIT:
    you my friend are probably a ganggly spotty long black haired tall skinny bespeckled freak who works at the bags when everyone else is having a life and also speaks with an american accent! correct me if i am wrong?

And thats highly innacurate. I do not speak with an american accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Superdub2 wrote:

That's not the highest in the college, plenty of people top that iincluding myself :\/

Anyway, Stop with the insults both of you. Having exams straight after Christmas can put extra stress on people who have to return home.

And A/V isn't a real subject ;)

never said it was the best i said it was one of the best of which i am in no doubt. yes and the insults shud stop and they have!

3.83 is 4A's and 2 B+s, there is only two possible scores better than that and i doubt many people top that.

also the only reason i said it was because he said my problem was that i didnt study

I did not! I said you study at the wrong time. Which is what you implied in your first post.
    And A/V isn't a real subject

Define real :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Lads, please, stop with the insults and lets just get along. I joined AV this year and i cant honestly think of a nicer place to be and a place i enjoy doin more work in. on the same hand i think that accounting is also good if u like it.

to your original question. i think that the exams in jan allow everyone to prepare. a lot of the stuff we do in class, from my personal experience, is not ALL given in the exams. As a result you need to sort out what you need for the exams and what u dont. Furthermore, if you are working non stop on practicals and in class crap then a week of exams after all this would, i feel, destroy the xmas spirit.

and on a personal note, if you only have 1 class a week dedicated to a subject, it always helps to have an extra 3 weeks of study after all classes have ended so YOU choose what to study more or less at the last minute. So you dont blame the administration or the lecture because they overworked you and then gave you questions that werent on the exam before the break.

if christmas didnt exsist they'd prob still take 2-3 weeks off before exams for the purposes of a study week.

a 1st year av student, im afraid your opinion doesnt count for much with me!

You're such an ass.

while i probably an inconsiderate ass i am also right about this one, AV isnt even a real course!

How many exams do you have? and how long are they?

What Motleycrue said was really quite reasonable. Its not like he took sides or anything, you're just acting like an elitist moron.

Define "real" in the context of college course?

Something that requires lots of work? Check. We have a crapload of current assessments to get in. Off the top of my head, five or six big projects every semester.

Or is it something for which you have to feel bad while doing it? Because no, its not like that.

And is it something that requires lots of stressful exams? Then no, we had two.

And frankly if its based on exam quantity and how bad the course makes you feel then Im glad it doesn't meet your definition of "real" thank you.

But really, I want an answer to that question, what does "real" mean in this context?

1 where do you get the idea that my i hate my course cuz i dont!

2 6 projects? i get that on top of the rest of my work!

while i dont respect AV anyone in first hasnt a clue what real work is until they get to 3rd year at least. Im thinking of 4th years and 3rd years here and i would have felt the same as him in 1st year.

and yes i reserve the right to be an ass cuz what i am saying is right no matter if i say it forcefully or frame in flowers for the easily offended!

Edit: "real" means a serious degree and some serious work to earn it and only people who work for it should be able to earn it or else it becomes worthless

So a "real" course is a "serious" course? Your logic is circular and grossly inadequate.
    only people who work for it should be able to earn it or else it becomes worthless

The fact that AV doesn't make you feel bad doesn't mean its easy. Several people didn't pass first year, and several won't pass second year either.
    6 projects? i get that on top of the rest of my work!

A "project" isn't a set measurement. And I'm not arguing that your course doesn't involve more work. Frankly I don't care exactly how much work your course entails. What I am saying is that AV isn't the effortless rollercoaster you seem to presume it to be.
    where do you get the idea that my i hate my course

My pop psychology analysis of your behaviour. You seem far too eager to explain how successful you've been and to criticise more fun courses. This leads me to the conclusion that you're trying to convince yourself as much as us.
    i reserve the right to be an ass cuz what i am saying is right

The self agrandising error of ever spastic on the internet. Suffice to say, you're not the first arrogant spa to presume to dismiss everyone else's opinion because he so sure of his correctness.

so you are only in 2nd year?? then that makes your opinion even more worthless

Your degree isnt worth much.

Pop psychology? at least you said it, and im just arrogant and thats why i like to brag in general! but the reason i said it to you was to dispel any thoughts from your head that i dont study at all or that my studying is the problem.

I dont dismiss everybody elses opinion, i just dont value the opinion of two people who do AV, not on this topic anyway and id say most of the non AV students share my sentiments

i cant take your opinion seriously after you said there was no problem with the exams after xmas, just proves how little work you have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Now I remember why business students were "tolerated" (as opposed to actually being liked) by the other departments.

Been there, worn the T-shirt and completed my four years of fun and frolics in IT-Tallaght. To be honset, the early Jan exams are not bad and I think that, looking back, they were best held then. Semesters were madness coming up to Christmas, so there'd have been little or no time to not only finish a subject's contents but get assessments & study done and dusted had exams been held in December. Late January? Not much of a break between end of winter semester & start of spring. You migh also want to bear in mind that after YOUR exams finish maybe 5 days in, there are still exams going on for about a week or so afterwards. Stop being so insular and thinking that all exams end when yours do.

As for the quip about starting back later than other colleges I think you'll find that Tallaght usually started back ahead of most others, both at winter & spring semester.

Business students. Pffffft.

As for GPA, I'm going to let you in on a little seckret. Once you get your first job, it doesn't mean squat. Companies don't just look at your GPA and decide whether to hire you or not. You know that thing called a job interview? Good. Ok, just checking.

"tolerated" the business students are the heart of the college, we are the face of Tallaght I.T., not just hidden in the attic!

fair unuf if they didnt bother you but they bother most people i know.

I dont know what course you did but for accounting students there is a big recruitmwent drive each year and your G.P.A. usually plays a big part in getting you a good job, where you will train for three years and which will have a huge impact on your career. This is especially important as the you are competing against hundreds of other students from the major colleges and even future employers look to see if you got a 1.1 of 2.1, etc even if they dont pay if too much heed.

starts aheadof other colleges? thats pure rubbish, nearly all colleges will be back before february

business students Pffft ?? wat did you do? let me guess.... engineering or computers? small man syndrome me thinks

• Advertisement

Superdub2 wrote:
    "tolerated" the business students are the heart of the college, we are the face of Tallaght I.T., not just hidden in the attic!

You know there are /three/ floors in that college right? One for school of business, one for school of science & one for school of engineering. Business students are not the heart of the college so don't flatter yourself.
    fair unuf if they didnt bother you but they bother most people i know.

Nobody I know in my time in Tallaght (and I knew quite a few people across all the schools) once voiced a serious greivance with the exams being held in January, other than the usual "exams are sh*te" stuff. I even had a friend (in my year) die the day before our winter exams were due to start whilst in 3rd year. We were all told just before we were due to go our first exam. The exams were delayed for us by a few days. Again nobody complained even when the delay threw everything into disarray for our entire year.

Lets look at this. The exams would typically start in the second week of January and last for almost three weeks. That's the start of febuary right there. Hold them in December? No way in hell you'll get your subjects covered in time. Hold them in late jan? No way in hell you'll get your subjects finished for spring semester since you'll be starting around end of Feb/start of March.

As for the library being noisy, do one of two things (and yes I've done both, but I'll recommend the latter as being an amazing option), either a) complain to the library staff about the noise and they'll usually shussh it or b) find an empty lecture room to study in.
    I dont know what course you did but for accounting students there is a big recruitmwent drive each year and your G.P.A. usually plays a big part in getting you a good job, where you will train for three years and which will have a huge impact on your career. This is especially important as the you are competing against hundreds of other students from the major colleges and even future employers look to see if you got a 1.1 of 2.1, etc even if they dont pay if too much heed.

All companies are the same. I got asked about my GPA too, but it's more of an idle curiosity on the aprt fo the employer since they tend to look at your final year project (I'm not sure how accounting works so I'll add the caveat that you might not have such a project) and what you seem to actually know in an interview as a larger litmus test of your capabilities. Don't read too much into the notion of GPA. It's all a crock of bullsh*t. If you show that you know what you're talking about in your interview, all the GPA in the world can sing dixey in the interviewer's opinion. And beyond getting the bare minimum for a 1.1 if you are so inclined there is no difference in a 3.n & a 4.0 GPAm so bragging about it is neither smart nor indicitave of yuor ability to think for yourself.
    starts aheadof other colleges? thats pure rubbish, nearly all colleges will be back before february

Yes. Start ahead. Courses typically start 2nd/3rd week in September - ahead of the major colleges, some of whom sometimes don't even start until mid/end October (UCD included). Spring semester? First week, perhaps second in Febuary, again ahead of the likes of UCD. If you are referring to some of the smaller colleges, you would do well to remember that many of them do not run on a semesterised system but a term system and thus run differently in terms of subject structure. Some don't even have winter exams (or the winter exams don't mean anything at the end of the day)
    business students Pffft ?? wat did you do? let me guess.... engineering or computers? small man syndrome me thinks

I think someone is suffering from "self importance" syndrome. You'll get into the world and realise that you are not as big as you like to think you are. I have little time for arrogant egotistical idiots, of which you are doing a fine job to qualify as being.

As for what course I studied? Apart from it being absolutely none of your f*cking business, I studied Computing. A subject I thorougly enjoy and have a natural understanding of.

You

Ok superdub2, if you think business is the face of it-tallaght, you are an idiot. It's probably the least funded department and isn't involved with much externally. Let me tell you, your course is a *joke* compared to a 5 year engineering degree course. I should know, I'm on my third course in my college career which spans both engineering and computing.

my course is a joke giblet? no you are a joke and so is your degree going to be! i suppose you were an AQA canditate like the rest of your classmates.

Ill be the one making the big money enjoying life while your pulling your ugly hair out becuz you are stuk in a **** job

Keep dreaming.

Good response you silly idiot, nothing to sat to that?

I think his point is that its become quite pointless indulging your little tantrum anymore. Please feel free to respond to this with some irrelevant nonesense that ultimately seeks to make you feel more secure about your life.

EDIT: Also, please refer to my previous post for crucial information.

I had a retort all lined up after his second last post Zilah, then I just said "f*ck it, he's worth about as much effort as a fart".

Anyway, interesting that he chose to make a pointless attack on Giblet yet ignored all the points I raised in my last post.

Duh.

Its easier to flame someone rather than actually address the issue. Where have you been since the internet was invented?

• Advertisement

Superdub2 wrote:
    Good response you silly idiot, nothing to sat to that?

Yeah ok mr FACE OF IT-TALLAGHT. Tell me, what does the IT stand for, you retard. How much funding does each department get Mr Business? I'll give you a clue. Computing gets more than DCU or UCD, guess how much business gets. Jesus business students are getting more stupid each year. I know more about accounting than you ever will. Mr TAS books. Feel free to call me on it and I'll show you how much of a joke you are. Bear in mind, I learnt all I know in one summer 6 years ago, should be fun don't you think?

Who lets these people in here for god sake, he can't even spell!

And where exactly are you going to be working that makes ACCOUNTING a fun and exciting job? I suppose working as a programmer for AOL is crap yeah :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement