Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me a band thats gonna blow me away

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can see your point...

Trivium - there's a band I don't get. Was watching one of the TV channels (Kerang or Scuzz - can't remember which) and heard the start of one of their songs and thought "funk me!" Then the "take me to the prom" singing started and it just destroyed the whole thing :( It is NOT a good idea to try and *sing* over metal or in the middle of a metal song, it just upsets the balance (and this listener).

Dragonforce are worthy of a listen, might not blow you away, but if you like guitar, it'll certainly impress. They're playing over here in March I think too, might check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Kharn wrote:
    Dragonforce are worthy of a listen, might not blow you away, but if you like guitar, it'll certainly impress. They're playing over here in March I think too, might check them out.
    That could be a gig worth going to, even if just to cry over how much better their guitarist is than you could ever hope to be :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only starting to listen to carcass now steoob! took it as a given that you had...
    Try isis, they are better than pelican imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Yeah it seems a lot of people don't like Warrel Dane's singing in Nevermore.
    I happen to think it's great and suits the riffs and intensity really well. I appreciate when someone can actually sing strongly as opposed to grunt/shout/scream. Although I listen to plenty of bands who do that too.

You gotta admit the riffs and solos are unbelievable though!!

EDIT
    http://mp4.centurymedia.com/final_product.wmv

That's the video for Final Product. The songs isn't their best but still rocks.
    The mp3 was also hosted on their official site but seems to have been taken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I see you like Slayer, so my boyfriend recommends you listen to Carnal Forge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

adox wrote:
    here here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I forgot Gojira. Accessible but bloody excellent stuff. It's kind of like if Neurosis decided to play their version of thrash/death metal. I agree with the Sikth recommendation too, "The Trees Are Dead And Dried Out" is brilliant (a bit worried about the next album having an overly emo nature, though).

Saw Sikth live, they're savage. "The Trees..." is an album that I really took to.

Will defo check out Gojira - any mention of Neurosis piques the interest straight away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

The Berzerker.
    Awaaaay!....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

if ur into grind, try nasum!! groovy breakbeats and fast as hell drumming...

shame the singer died in the tsunami last year....

• Advertisement

Other bands.
    Any of the first 4 Danzig albums are great.
    The Deadlights have a self titled album that I listen to all the time. They got lumped in with the nu-metal crowd a few years back and I haven't heard anything from them in ages.

Down, early Fear Factory, Celtic Frost, Cathedral, Iced Earth, Snot, Malevolent Creation, At The Gates, Mayhem and S.O.D.(Stormtroopers Of Death) are all worth checking out if you haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Den_M wrote:
    early Fear Factory

Definitely. Try Soul of a New Machine, Demanufacture or Archetype.

Obselete is my personal favourite, but Fear Factory are a great band.

Bad Brains, Amen, Faith No More, CKY and Mad Capsule Markets rock my world as well.

Den_M wrote:
    Malevolent Creation, At The Gates are all worth checking out if you haven't already.
    Thumbs up there. Both of them are Death Metal with a bit more "brains" than stuff like Deicide or Cannibal Corpse (warning, I like Deicide and CC, but that's for it's frantic pace and ability to allow me to punch strangers in the face when I see them live ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Kharn wrote:
    warning, I like Deicide and CC, but that's for it's frantic pace and ability to allow me to punch strangers in the face when I see them live ;).

Whats not to like about punching strangers:) . I'd recommend mastodon, best band iv'e heard all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I recommend KYUSS,

or try Prophecy the heaviest band to ever come out of north Louth

http://artists.cpu.ie//bands/663/

and pelican don't in any way shape or form sound like Opeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

faith no more
    mr bungle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

Nevermore are amazing. Jeff Loomis is a god, and Warrel Dane is a fantastic vocalist. you can listen to some tracks on www.nevermore.tv
    of the downloadable tracks, i recommend:
    The River Dragon Has Come (off Dead Heart in a Dead World)
    I, Voyager (off Enemies of Reality)
    Final Product (off This Godless Endeavor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I agree, Nevermore are one of the best bands going at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Indeedy, the first two songs I heard by Nevermore were The Heart Collector and Believe In Nothing, both were class but I was even more pleasantly surprised when I heard the likes of The River Dragon Has Come, Final Product and indeed the rest of their heavier material, its all fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement

i'm currently addicted to This Godless Endeavor; its a fantastic album. i love the opener, Born. that said, its hard to go a day of Nevermore addiction without listening to I, Voyager, or The River Dragon Has Come, etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Marts wrote:
    well Trivium are the **** IMO I'm going to see them for the second time in March

another band I recently got into are Dragonforce, brilliant stuff! I mean check out their lead guitarist, Herman Li's, hair!

You got there before me. Dragonforce are sooo cool, they're playing the ambassador this march, really want to go to both gigs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wanwarlock wrote:

shame the singer died in the tsunami last year....
    Thought it was the other guy...mayber not...anyway, that sucked all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 child of bodom

Have to agree with trivium and dragonforce they are amazing saw both of them last year n the were brilliant live, also saw dragonforce in wacken n they kicked ass!
    Another suggestion would be Children of Bodom their stuff is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

I'd have to recommend Scar Symmetry (former Carnal Forge axeman), Disarmonia Mundi (one of Speed Strid from Soilworks other bands), Dark Tranquillity, The Haunted, Children Of Bodom, Lamb of God & Shadows Fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Arch Enemy!! Unreal! Their newest "doomsday machine" is absoluty pounding!

Check out "from the ashes of empires" by Machinehead also if you havnt. Amazing album.

Children of Bodom man, what a band! about time they were listed. any album

Also try Nile, heavy as ****.

In Flames - amazing

Or Novembre or Lamb of God.

Sirenia, Tristania or Nightwish if your into that kinda thing!

^ older Arch Enemy is so much better!

Gonna have to totally disagree with ya on that one man. Only heard bits and pieces but from what I can tell Anthem's of Rebillion and Doomsday Machine are far superior!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

!_Brian_! wrote:
    Gonna have to totally disagree with ya on that one man. Only heard bits and pieces but from what I can tell Anthem's of Rebillion and Doomsday Machine are far superior!

:eek:

Sorry, but hearing "Bits and pieces" doesn't count. The stuff with Johan Liva was far better.

• Advertisement

Hummm ... the general consensus around here was the older stuff wasnt up to scratch even riff / playing wise. Must give it another go tho, been quite a while since I heard any of it.

Advertisement