Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me a band thats gonna blow me away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭odranCN

Opeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

:eek:

Sorry, but hearing "Bits and pieces" doesn't count. The stuff with Johan Liva was far better.

Finally someone who agress with me !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Six Feet Under
    Children of Bodom
    Lordi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

You got there before me. Dragonforce are sooo cool, they're playing the ambassador this march, really want to go to both gigs.

Definitely don't think they're a band that would blow anyone away - totally average & definitely too much cheese! I really love my power metal, but was totally unimpressed with them live & was well pissed off that I bought one of their albums before the gig so as to know some of their stuff.. Definitely at the low end of the scale!

Some bands I'd recommend (some previously mentioned) would be Nevermore, The Tea Party, Avantasia, Threshold, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Testament, Anathema, Dream Theater, Green Carnation, Primal Fear, Symphony X! Not all the genre you mentioned, but all amazing in their own rights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I know these guys are from a bit back BUT they rock harder and better than 90% of everything else out there

CELTIC FROST

They release their first album in 13 years soon but check out Into the Pandemonium. The originators of Avant-Garde Metal!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Gorgoroth, Satyricon, Emperor, Velvet Cacoon, Beherit, Burzum, Taake, Immortal, Darkthrone, Morbid Angel, Decapitated, Vintersorg and Borknager, Nile and Soilwork are all pretty amazing. I basically just listed most of the metal bands that I listen to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

just recently got into Opeth and Soilwork (2 very different bands btw). great stuff, can't get enough...

soilwork are kind of like metalcore with loads of harmony (if you like them see www.raunchy.dk - one of my faves)

and opeth scare loads of people because of the whole "death metal" idea. i hate death metal... but omfg opeth are amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

"No More Angels" and "Cranking The Sirens" are both amazing songs. I picked me up a copy of the limited edition version of Figure Number Five a few days ago (with their demos from 1997) Thought I wasn't going to get hold of it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

the new Sepultura album DanteXXI will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lord Slayus

Dragonforce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

definitely listen to dream theater, the album octavarium is absolutely amazing, there's something for everyone in there, unbelievable changes in their songs without missing a beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

and opeth scare loads of people because of the whole "death metal" idea. i hate death metal... but omfg opeth are amazing
    I'm one of the people who can't get into Opeth. I just find the riffs etc as sounding very 80's-recycled. There's nothing scary about them, (if anything the whole 'death' style just makes me take them less seriously) but, don't you think the deep, throaty vocals just sound a bit, well, crap?

For a blow-me-away band, listen to any Mike Patton fronted group. Fantomas, Faith No More, Mr Bungle, etc

I'm one of the people who can't get into Opeth. I just find the riffs etc as sounding very 80's-recycled. There's nothing scary about them, (if anything the whole 'death' style just makes me take them less seriously) but, don't you think the deep, throaty vocals just sound a bit, well, crap?

For a blow-me-away band, listen to any Mike Patton fronted group. Fantomas, Faith No More, Mr Bungle, etc

the deep-throaty stuff annoys me but it's infrequent enough to not drive me away. plus, most deep-throaty music is backed up by uninspired music. this is not the case with opeth (can't vouch for ALL their stuff, as i'm still a n00b)

and yes. just go to ipecac.com and buy everything. it's all amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Holy fucking shit! That ipecac site has some class stuff on it! Mike Patton does Ennio Morricone? Legend. I can't wait to hear it. Yeah I forgot about Tomahawk, who are also class. Thanks man!

Holy fucking shit! That ipecac site has some class stuff on it! Mike Patton does Ennio Morricone? Legend. I can't wait to hear it. Yeah I forgot about Tomahawk, who are also class. Thanks man!
    ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ya know, I was having a hard time getting into metal properly as I don't really know anyone to guide me as such. I've listened to Faith No More, Motorhead and Mad Caps, Disturbed... through kinda trying to come across stuff. I have to say this thread has been a help! Thanks.

/me listens to Atheist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Mike Patton does Ennio Morricone? Legend.

Yeah, he released a selection of really rare and excellent Morricone scores.

As for deep throaty voices being crap. No. Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Akercocke are genii...

has meshuggah been mentioned yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Symphony X was mentioned and i have to say they blew me away when i first heard them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yea sven defo meshuggah and akercoke, there rather tasty.GIVE NINE INCH NAILS A TRY SVEN!!!!there class i do not see how you cant like em.

Also going back to that thing with Karl Hungas saying that old arch enemy is better, Are you mad? Arch Enemy is good from wages of sin on.The dude singer's voice just irritates the hell out of me but apart from that there music is drap theres no melody to it, although there is more agression.

O well To each his own i guess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sonata Arctica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mattias IA Elkundh Freak Guitar-The Road Less Traveled.

Astonishingly good guitar playing and mental as well.I really was blown away the first time I heard this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

sunn o))) to the max volume.
    your neighbours will love you

i got a sunn o))) album recently (white cover with faceless monk types) and just did NOT get into it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

well no wonder...happens very often.
    did you try it at max volume? didnt it blow you away?=)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

get your ass onto www.pandora.com and let it guide you to some new music. i've founds some interesting things on there.
    the latest pelican album is ace. that may blow you away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

slssprite wrote:
    sunn o))) to the max volume.
    your neighbours will love you
    If you had a sub the size of a wall I can certainly see the appeal :)
    Sludge metal is great in general though, try some Godspeed you Black Emperor, Isis, Pelican, or Neurosis (not Neuraxis, VERY diffrent :)), their really good to chill out to, Pelican probably being my favourite of the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Pestilence, Dying Fetus, or, if you would like to hear what sepultura would sound like if Max was still there, check out Ektomorf.

Advertisement