Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

318Ci BMWOpinions/Problems

Options
  • 01-01-2006 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi All

Im looking at a 318Ci BMW 00, what kind of car is it, any problems or things i should be looking out for, good and bad comments please or if you know of people who have had them!

I drove it lovely car so i have 2 days to decide on if i want to get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

What miles are on the clock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

bout the mid 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

What miles are on the clock ?

what miles do u want to be on it, so say 90% of used car dealers;)

So Are they worth the trouble, are they a good car etc

If it can be proven its a genuine car, a true 50000 miler will be a good car, however many of them have done 100000+ miles and have the clocks pulled back to reasonable mileage, and tarted up, in which case the car will be a pile of dirt, as they dont take high mileage well as the engine is heavily stressed as its small compared to the weight of the car and will have had the life driven out of it.

fuel consumption is also a little high, otherwise its a good car.

• Advertisement

Any noticable things i should be looking out for in general when i look at engine body etc?

What sort of MPG should i expect?

the 4 most important tests are easy as pie, anyone can do them.

1. check electrics that everything works, heater, cooler, any aircon blows ICE COLD if fitted.
    2 wait till the engine warms up and the needle is in the middle, now pop the bonnet and listen to the engine with ur ear to it, it should be as smooth as a sewing machine at idle if its done 50000 miles no rattle, rumble, now get someone to rev it, it should again sound like a sewing machine, very smooth.
    3 check every panel gap is 100% even and none are smaller than the other (signs that its been damaged)
    4 check the cars service book, colour of the break fluid(this is the best way to judge a good car) it should be clear, if its black walk away. check interior wear, it should be unworn at 50000 miles, stearing wheel should look new and not shiny.

ring the previous owner(ask the seller for his name), confirm the mileage, if its a good car, it will scream at u, if u know what to look for, also check the tires are a good brand and match on the axles(shows the owner cared for it, makes like michelin and continental, are your friend)

most/all used cars in ireland are abused, so low mileage is ur friend, confirm it, thats the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Very, very underpowered car... If you can even get into the 6 pot territory in a 320, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Big Balls wrote:
    Very, very underpowered car... If you can even get into the 6 pot territory in a 320, do.

Very true. Having driven a couple of different models and variants of 3 series, I found the difference between the 318 and 320 quite significant.

Having said that, the 318 has enough power to travel comfortably at motorway speeds/and for overtaking safely. Just personally, I would choose the 6 cylinder 320 over and over - especially when it comes to selling on after a couple of years driving - as the market is swamped with 318Ci's.

Thanks lads, was there any recalls done on the model i wonder, just to if they were done if they had to!

i have driven 2 of them an automatic/Tiptronic. and the manual, the auto is a nice drive with nice reving through the gears, the manual which im looking at was nice solid throught the gears, thanks guys for the help this was most helpfull now must decide :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Balls wrote:
    Very, very underpowered car...

That's a bit harsh for a car that will still do 0-100km/h in 10 seconds
    Big Balls wrote:
    If you can even get into the 6 pot territory in a 320, do.

But I agree with you. BMW's core competence is not in the 4 cylinder engines. This is very good value for money. Consider it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote:
    That's a bit harsh for a car that will still do 0-100km/h in 10 seconds

I have heard the same about the 318ci; the advice seems to be to go for the 323ci if budget permits.
    unkel wrote:
    But I agree with you. BMW's core competence is not in the 4 cylinder engines. This is very good value for money. Consider it!
    Like I said on that thread, I can't believe the car hasn't been sold at that price. Seems like an absolute steal (though could be a tad thirsty)

Advertisement