Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lampard-v-Gerrard

• 01-01-2006 4:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Two of the worlds most outstanding midfielders at this moment in time. Simple question... who is better?

I'd have to go for Gerrard, he is a more rounded player in my opinion and is the type of player I love to watch. He can occasionally drift in and out of games (was a non-entity in the first half of the CL Final) but when he is on form there are few better (second half and extra-time of the CL Final for example!). His performance against Southampton at Anfield last season was one of the best individual performances I have ever witnessed, and in a game that some "big" players may well have not been interested in.

Anyway, heres a superb 5 minute compilation of their best moments, a really great comp that includes a whole range of things. I've a feeling Gerrard may walk this poll, but I might be surprised.....

http://www2304.uploading.com/get.php?s_id=323ec738066dbf690fa82fe2147c004b&code=IND1SOO8

(if there is a problem with playing the file, try re-naming it to whatever.wmv or playing it with VLC from www.videolan.org)

Who is the better number 8? 87 votes

Frank Lampard
    0%
    Steven Gerrard
    29%
    Ping Chow ChidaveirlPepe LeFritsDempseyRabiesLafortezzaMisterAnarchyCorben DallasFighting IrishVillainquarrymanFusion251AngelofFirekaisersose77NuttzzJammerShrimpJuan PabloSlash/EDapplehunter 26 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    70%
    ButcherOfNogtiborKulganSerbianPiEVokesThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfmike65The Clown ManleeroybrownkamobeTuskyJohnny_the_foxsegadreamcastkaimeraspocketyMrJoeSoapHydromonkeyDcully 61 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Atari Jaguar
    Was just thinking about this today as it happens..

Am gonna say it outright, I think Gerard is a better overall player than Lampard and contributes more than Lampard does..

Gerard has a better range of passing. Gerard covers every inch of the pitch and is a better athlete and more physical player than Lampard. He scores a considerable amount.

Lampard scores more goals but this is facilitated by Makelele being possibly best holding midfielder in the world.

Carragher Vs Terry would be a better argument :) Only for Makelele again, Terry would have been found out long ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I'm not sure if its fair to compare them both, they play different roles. Lampard would be more of an attacking player than gerrard. I suppose I'd rather have gerrard in my team. He's a better all round player than Lampard. Both of them are brilliant though, not much in it.

As far Terry v Carragher, Terry is much better IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Atari Jaguar
    Gerrard contributes much more during the 90 minutes for Liverpool then Lampard does for Chelsea. Lampard is without doubt quality, but I'd have Gerrard ahead of him.
    Both of them are brilliant though, not much in it.
    For me there's a bit more between them - Gerrards work ethic is amazing, as is his attacking contribution. I agree with Jesus_thats_great; without Makele (or someone like him) Lampard wouldn't be as effective, whereas Gerrard has some of Makele's bite as well as Lampards prowess in the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Atari Jaguar
    No contest, Gerrard every time.

Take each player (one at a time) out of their respective teams and place them into the Sunderalnd set-up. Now tell me who'll have the biggest impact.

Lampard would not scror or create as many goals without the security of the DMC/MC partnership alongside him in the middle for Chelsea. Thats not to say he's not a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Atari Jaguar
    Gerrard for me too. His workrate is fantasic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Atari Jaguar
    Gerrard everytime, Lampard is a faker who disappears most of the time.

Watch him play for England to see how woeful he actually is.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

it has to be gerrard the pure workrate is amazing no one in the world touches it there are more skillful players out there but the man is pure passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Atari Jaguar
    David19 wrote:
    Lampard would be more of an attacking player than gerrard.

As far Terry v Carragher, Terry is much better IMO.
    I'd have to disagree with you there. I think they are both as attacking as each other, except you see Gerrard make more runs with the ball. Gerrard for me any time.

If Sven was asked right now, which player he'd rather have in his first 11, I would put my house on him saying Gerrard.

Terry v Carra is a tough one. Both outstanding players. I think if England harbour any chance of winning the WC, they should play both of them in defence in the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Steven Gerrard
    IMO as individuals Gerrard is a better all round player a more complete player. However I don't think Gerrard would be as effective as Lampard is for Chelsea, Lampard fits into Chelsea's system perfectly, his ability to score goals from his position is incredible.

Someone said that Gerrard is a better athlete I'd have to disagree with that considering the record Lampard broke this season for 160 consecutive Premiership appearance's. He obviously looks after his body very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Atari Jaguar
    Clearly Gerrard is the more complete player, Lampard has his uses but whereas Gerrard will conjur a goal from his own skill and energy, Lamps is the guy picking up on the hard work done by others (nothing wrong with that btw!).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A lot of people are saying that Lampard only seems so effective because he has great cover in Makelele...while that may be a valid point, you still have to be world-class to do what he does. He scores some amazing goals, and important ones. People are saying that Gerard contributes more in general to the team...but take out Lampards' goals in the last two seasons for Chelsea, and that would have been a lot of points dropped. He's been vital for them, scoring while the team has always struggled somewhat to find the right striker, or combination of strikers.
    I don't think they can be seperated to be honest, I am surprised that the poll seems to be a bit of a land-slide. Pitty for England that they've never clicked together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Steven Gerrard
    Lampard, definitely the better player in my opinion.

As Necromomicon said, He's able to score the goals when they are needed, and amazing ones at that. I never found Gerrard to be that impressive, no doubt he's an extremely talented player, but I don't think he's as good as or better than Lampard.

Mike65 said that Lampard scores (a lot of) his goals from the hard work of others. To be honest I think when you play for Chelsea, it's hard to shine out, especially when you've got the likes of Joe Cole, Damien Duff and Hernan Crespo setting you up, it's not gonna require much from one individual to score a goal when you have so many amazing ones for support. Also he's not stealing goals when he scores some amazing 20 - 30 yard shots? is he?

It's got to be Lampard for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Steven Gerrard
    I'd go for Lampard too. I've been to Stamford Bridge a few times this season, and watching from the stands, you can see exactly how much ground Lampard covers. The bloke simply doesnt stop running for 45mins at a time. He can make or break the game, and how many times has Chelsea been broken this season? Take for example, Chelsea go in at half time against bolton one - nill down, come back out. Lampard's responsible for the 5 goals in the second half. Think he only actually scored one of them, but set the rest up.

I dont either of them are the best in the world. I'd have Lampard over Gerrard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Atari Jaguar
    have to go for Gerrard, hes better allround player, never gives up a fight, tough as nails character. Lampard is also all of this but on a smaller level. Gerrard does more attacking and defensive duties than lampard does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Atari Jaguar
    Shrimp wrote:
    Also he's not stealing goals when he scores some amazing 20 - 30 yard shots? is he?
    Yes, they're all deflections;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Atari Jaguar
    Who considered Lampard a world-class player before Abromivich's millions surrounded him with world class players? Put him in an average team, and he'll struggle to be anywhere near as good as he's perceived to be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Atari Jaguar
    i'd go with gerrard - the amount of work he does is outrageous,
    he doesnt just attack, he makes up 40-50 yards time and time again to make important challenges and talking of important goals i dont know if theres a goal that was more important than that strike against olympiakos or much better than his header in istanbul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Atari Jaguar
    If England had any sense, they'd strip Beckham of the captaincy and hand it to Gerrard. He's the only player with enough passion and ability to push them past their usual quarter/semi final exit. I can't imagine Beckham having the full support of players like Gerrard/Carragher/Terry... I can't even picture him giving a teammate a bollockin' for messing up.

Can't say the same about Lampard, he'd be anonymous without his protective shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Steven Gerrard
    Lampard for me, you cannot argue with the outrageous number of goals and assists he's gotten.

Gerrard is inconsistent, gives away possession cheaply trying too many long passes and is often found wanting in big games (Look at his overall performance in the CL final, non event for the vast majority of the game. Never dominates the mid field when up against top players imo). He does work very hard and gets some great goals and assists but has yet to prove he's capable of performing on the biggest stages imo. Lampard is an under rated passer too. He does rely on Makelele but so what? He's still one of if not the most effective player in the premiership at the moment and in the big games tends to come up with the goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Atari Jaguar
    Gerrard - without a shadow of a doubt. Gerrard makes a game by himself, whereas Lampard feeds off of the energy of others (and causes a synergy) - both valuable skills, but Gerrard's is better.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    Shrimp wrote:
    Also he's not stealing goals when he scores some amazing 20 - 30 yard shots? is he?

I presume you looked at the video clip. You should look at it again, I think you may be confused as to which one is Gerard and which one is Lampard ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Atari Jaguar
    PiE wrote:
    If England had any sense, they'd strip Beckham of the captaincy and hand it to Gerrard.

Have to pray for a Beckham injury then. I was listening to Chris Waddle on FiveLive on friday night and his midfield would'nt feature Becks at all, and he'd make Gerrard captain too.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Atari Jaguar
    Gerrard is inconsistent, gives away possession cheaply trying too many long passes

Inconsistent? Hes been brilliant in 95% of liverpools games this season. Gives away possession too cheaply trying too many long passes...What?! Incase you havent been watching gerrard for the past season and a half, alonso does the long passing now.
    Never dominates the mid field when up against top players imo
    Ive never seen lampard dominate the midfield at all.
    Look at his overall performance in the CL final, non event for the vast majority of the game.

You mean the same champions league final where he scored a goal in? The same one where he was liverpools best player for 75 minutes? I guess you missed most of the match.
    He does work very hard and gets some great goals and assists but has yet to prove he's capable of performing on the biggest stages imo

Anyone see the juventus match by any chance? also see above.

Its all well and good saying lampard is better, i think hes a fine player, but when you use a champions league final in which he scored and made a penalty in, not to mention the amazing defensive work in the second half and extra time, also some characteristics of 2 years ago against gerrard, it does seem a tad desperate.

Steven Gerrard
    Davei141 wrote:
    Inconsistent? Hes been brilliant in 95% of liverpools games this season. Gives away possession too cheaply trying too many long passes...What?! Incase you havent been watching gerrard for the past season and a half, alonso does the long passing now.

So he's not allowed? He still gives away possession too cheaply imo.
    Ive never seen lampard dominate the midfield at all.

He and Makelele do all the time, Lampard isn't the kind of player who's job it is to dominate the mid field on his own but with Makelele beside him he is usually outstanding and Lampard is always very effective no matter who he's against. Gerrard is the man supposed to dominate the mid field ala Roy Keane, they're different players, and he doesn't enough.
    You mean the same champions league final where he scored a goal in? The same one where he was liverpools best player for 75 minutes? I guess you missed most of the match.

I mean the champions league final he got utterly bypassed in, he scored a goal so he was great? Suppose Smicer will go down as one of the finals best players then? He only came into the game as a right back, it was men against boys in mid field for most of that match ffs.
    Anyone see the juventus match by any chance? also see above.

Still don't think he imposed himself totally on that match. Look at gerrard when coming up against Keane or someone like that, is generally in his pocket.
    Its all well and good saying lampard is better, i think hes a fine player, but when you use a champions league final in which he scored and made a penalty in, not to mention the amazing defensive work in the second half and extra time, also some characteristics of 2 years ago against gerrard, it does seem a tad desperate.

He played well at right back ergo he's a great mid fielder? hmmmm....

In the CL final as I said, if you think Gerrard took control of the mid field you're hopelessly deluded beyond help. Liverpools mid field was swarmed for most of that match and couldn't get a kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Steven Gerrard
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Yes, they're all deflections;)

Dont you think thats a bold statment to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Atari Jaguar
    Stevie G for me. I think hes a brilliant player, always been impressed by him.

Ive liked Lampard since his West Ham days, with that stupid long hair he had and he did score some crackers, but i have always preferred Gerrard as a footballer, to watch. But he is the type of player i would love to have in my team. Not saying Lampard isnt, but i would pick Gerrard over him any day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Steven Gerrard
    Lampard.

Atari Jaguar
    Slash/ED wrote:
    He and Makelele do all the time, Lampard isn't the kind of player who's job it is to dominate the mid field on his own but with Makelele beside him he is usually outstanding and Lampard is always very effective no matter who he's against. Gerrard is the man supposed to dominate the mid field ala Roy Keane, they're different players, and he doesn't enough.

He and Makelele is they point in everything you have said.. If its not Makelele its another 20+ million superstar.. Up until 18 months ago, Lampard was seen as a good player in a good team.. That is until 200+ million sterling was poored into the team in 2 seasons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How they preform with Sunderland is irrelevent, thats like saying who is the better goal keeper with a ****e defense and an amazing defense in front of them.
    Its a completely different type of keeping of keeping active for ninety minutes, or keeping ready for ninety minutes for one save.

This is the same, Gerrard is an out and out midfielder, a box-to-box player.
    Lampard is definally an AMC, who is focused primarily on attack, the perfect comparision is Scholes.

As for the Makelele thing, everybody knows how good Alonso and Sissisko are at breaking up play.
    They might not be as good as Makelele and Essien, but they aren't exactly ****e, so Gerrard is not at a huge disadvantage.

If I was to choose flatly who I rather have in the United team, I would choose Lampard.
    He might need a player to do his defensive duties, and I've said before I don't think he is fantastic in playing in a 4-4-2, but in his position, I think he is the second best player in the world atm, behind Ronaldinho.

Also there is a misconception that the only thing he produces is assists and goals, he has as much drive as Gerrard, and you can see that in his leadership of the premiership champions. He is not captain, but he is one of the two captains.

Also stats wise, just look at him:

Goals:
    Lampard: 12
    Gerrard: 5

Assists:
    Lampard: 7
    Gerrard: 3

Right now, Lampard and Gerrard are playing in the exact same roles of a 4-3-3 midfield, and Lampard is doing a lot better.
    Gerrard is now however playing out of position imo, and should be the middle player(Essien for Chelsea) in a three man midfield, but Liverpool don't have the AMC for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

-edit-

need to check who i am signed in as before posting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lex Luthor wrote:
    If Sven was asked right now, which player he'd rather have in his first 11, I would put my house on him saying Gerrard.

No way! If sven was asked that, he'd avoid the question totally and make a round about answer about how all players are important to the first eleven and that its not one person, but a team effort...

blah, blah, blah, blah

p.s. for me its lampard, though you cant really say no to Atari Jaguar

Atari Jaguar
    Slash/ED wrote:
    So he's not allowed? He still gives away possession too cheaply imo.
    Watch a few liverpool matches and tell me how many times he cheaply gives away the ball. And what about the inconsistency? still sticking by that?

So because gerrard doesnt do it enough as A) A player who sits infront of the back four B) Two players, thats supposed to be a negative?
    Slash/ED wrote:
    I mean the champions league final he got utterly bypassed in, he scored a goal so he was great? Suppose Smicer will go down as one of the finals best players then? He only came into the game as a right back, it was men against boys in mid field for most of that match ffs.

Scored a goal, won a penalty, played all over the pitch, another negative?:rolleyes:

Kaka was the main person tearing liverpool up, and it wasnt gerrards job. When liverpool went one down to a set piece early on, the had to attack, and when we were going forward in search of the equaliser they hit us with a swift counter, not exactly gerrards fault eh? Hamann came on and nulified kaka's threat, gerrard done his business for the rest of the match. After liverpool got back to 3-3 (which he was instrumental in) they had to defend because there was only 3 at the back, against a team in many peoples opinion was the best team in the world by a long shot. Makes sense doesnt it?

Still don't think he imposed himself totally on that match. Look at gerrard when coming up against Keane or someone like that, is generally in his pocket.

Tired of this myth by keane fans, when liverpool played united a few years ago during the time when we won about 5 on the bounce, nobody was saying that then eh? Also when united played liverpool in the past year, gerrard played a deeper role because instructed, so in order to be in somebodies pocket, i think you have to actually be near them right?

He played well at right back ergo he's a great mid fielder? hmmmm....
    No, it means hes a great player.
    In the CL final as I said, if you think Gerrard took control of the mid field you're hopelessly deluded beyond help. Liverpools mid field was swarmed for most of that match and couldn't get a kick.

Never said he took control, i said he was brilliant in the last 75 minutes, ranging from scoring a goal, making a terrific run to win the penalty, to playing all over the pitch keeping his team in the game. Also did i mention he was the heart and soul of our 3 nil down fight back against the best defense in the world?

Atari Jaguar
    PHB wrote:

Goals:

Assists:

Comparing the league alone also shows that Chelsea have scored 53 goals this season compared with 26 by Liverpool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Atari Jaguar
    I suppose it depends what the manager wants from the midfielder that he puts
    on the team sheet at the start of the game. Lampard might not put in the
    work rate off the ball that Gerrard can but ive often seen Gerrard working his
    butt off doing this and not having the energy or motivation to attack. I dont
    think I would depend on Gerrard as an all out attacking midfielder like I could
    depend on Lampard.

But I think any team would benefit from Gerrard more than Lampard. If a team
    is attacking or defensive orientated or just playing bad, Gerrard will shine.

Comparing the league alone also shows that Chelsea have scored 53 goals this season compared with 26 by Liverpool..

Is that ..... going to explain why this is relevent?

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    PHB wrote:
    How they preform with Sunderland is irrelevent, thats like saying who is the better goal keeper with a ****e defense and an amazing defense in front of them.

No its like saying who can perform when those around cant.
    As for the Makelele thing, everybody knows how good Alonso and Sissisko are at breaking up play.
    They might not be as good as Makelele and Essien, but they aren't exactly ****e, so Gerrard is not at a huge disadvantage.
    Thats very true, but theres plenty of times when gerrard only has one of them.
    If I was to choose flatly who I rather have in the United team, I would choose Lampard.
    He might need a player to do his defensive duties, and I've said before I don't think he is fantastic in playing in a 4-4-2, but in his position, I think he is the second best player in the world atm, behind Ronaldinho.

Yes but would you rather have fletcher and smith behind him, rooney out of position, to utilise his abilities to maximum effect?
    Also there is a misconception that the only thing he produces is assists and goals, he has as much drive as Gerrard, and you can see that in his leadership of the premiership champions. He is not captain, but he is one of the two captains.

If gerrard and lampard both joined united, who would you want wearing the arm band?
    Goals:

Assists:

Thats in the premiership, were chelsea flew out of the traps and liverpool were still tinkering with the team and formation. Gerrard has 14 goals out of 3o games for liverpool this season.
    Right now, Lampard and Gerrard are playing in the exact same roles of a 4-3-3 midfield, and Lampard is doing a lot better.
    Not true, liverpool regularly change gerrard from a midfield with just alonso to a right sided player. The last time they done trio of midfielders was ages ago, and if you exclude the champions league even further back. Its not exactly fair saying they play the exact same role when lampard is never moved.
    Gerrard is now however playing out of position imo, and should be the middle player(Essien for Chelsea) in a three man midfield, but Liverpool don't have the AMC for it.

We play much better with 2 strikers, thats why we dont have the three man midfield.

Steven Gerrard
    Davei141 wrote:
    Watch a few liverpool matches and tell me how many times he cheaply gives away the ball. And what about the inconsistency? still sticking by that?

Yes, I'm consistent, unlike himself ;)
    So because gerrard doesnt do it enough as A) A player who sits infront of the back four B) Two players, thats supposed to be a negative?

No the negative is he doesn't performe as well as Lampard, fairly simple.
    Scored a goal, won a penalty, played all over the pitch, another negative?:rolleyes:

If you're trying to tell me Gerrard impressed in mid field in the CL final you're deluded, simple as that. I'm not even going to argue with it, it's just wrong. He wasn't seen for most of the game, goal or no goal.
    Kaka was the main person tearing liverpool up, and it wasnt gerrards job. When liverpool went one down to a set piece early on, the had to attack, and when we were going forward in search of the equaliser they hit us with a swift counter, not exactly gerrards fault eh? Hamann came on and nulified kaka's threat, gerrard done his business for the rest of the match. After liverpool got back to 3-3 (which he was instrumental in) they had to defend because there was only 3 at the back, against a team in many peoples opinion was the best team in the world by a long shot. Makes sense doesnt it?

The point is Gerrard showed nothing in the first half, nothing. Wasn't getting on the ball, wasn't making things happen, wasn't breaking up play, he was invisible. Men against boys.

Tired of this myth by keane fans, when liverpool played united a few years ago during the time when we won about 5 on the bounce, nobody was saying that then eh? Also when united played liverpool in the past year, gerrard played a deeper role because instructed, so in order to be in somebodies pocket, i think you have to actually be near them right?

I'm no Keane fan, and Liverpool winning does not equate to him playing well.
    No, it means hes a great player.

Idiotic logic. His performance at right back has 0% relevence to his performance in mid field. It's like hailing Quinns striking powers based on his penalty save for Man City.
    Never said he took control, i said he was brilliant in the last 75 minutes, ranging from scoring a goal, making a terrific run to win the penalty, to playing all over the pitch keeping his team in the game. Also did i mention he was the heart and soul of our 3 nil down fight back against the best defense in the world?

Best defense in the world? :D

He was invisible for most of the match ffs. Look, if you're trying to tell me he showed himself to be a world class mid fielder in the champions league final you're beyond help and I'm not bothered replying any more. As John Giles said during the match, he disappeared. His goal does not cover this up, Liverpools mid field with him as the heart of it was dominated for that match. Hamann made the difference.

I do think Gerrard is a very good player though, just not as good as people claim, and I'd rather have Lampard as in the right system as he is in at Chelsea he is a far more efficent and productive player.

Atari Jaguar
    Slash/ED wrote:
    If you're trying to tell me Gerrard impressed in mid field in the CL final you're deluded, simple as that. I'm not even going to argue with it
    Yea you're right, you shouldn't argue about it. Because you'd be wrong.

Yes but would you rather have fletcher and smith behind him, rooney out of position, to utilise his abilities to maximum effect?

If I had to choose between Rooney and Lampard at the moment in my team, I'd pick Lampard.
    If gerrard and lampard both joined united, who would you want wearing the arm band?

Gerrard is a liverpool fan so I would never want him wearing the armband.
    I don't think either of them are United captains, Gerrard drives the team through his own preformance, not by inspiring his teammates through leadership and preformance, like Keane used to.
    If I did have to pick another midfileder to be a United captain, I'd pick Vieira.
    If I honastly had to pick between Gerrard and Lampard, I'd pick Lampard. Lampard is consistantly great, Gerrard is often great.

The only reason Gerrard is the liverpool captain ahead of Carragher is because they want to keep him at Liverpool.

Thats in the premiership, were chelsea flew out of the traps and liverpool were still tinkering with the team and formation. Gerrard has 14 goals out of 3o games for liverpool this season.

I really didn't think you'd bring that into the equation, but since you did, lets look why?
    Its cause he scored 7 goals in 7 games against the Welsh team and the other ****e team Liverpool played.

Why were they playing those teams?
    Because Gerrard was inconsistant for the majority of the last season, and while he happens to be on form atm, and is thus amazing, he hasn't shown he can be consistant over a season, and until then, Lampard is the better player, one who has been consistant over the last 3 seasons.

----

As regards Liverpoools formation, it is changed so much it is hard to discuss accurately.
    All this does is point out the ultimate point of this thread, is that they are different types of players, and it is like the following question.

In 1999, who was the better player, Scholes or Keane?
    This is the exact same problem.

--

Also want to point out one thing, Liverpools three goals the second half and their eventual win on penalties was not just by Gerrard. It was largely due to the tactics employed by Benetiz and the terrible defending from Milan. It was not like Keano vs. Juve in 99, and anyone who thinks it was should look at that match again. Then look at the CL final last year, and you'll see the difference. Glory distorts the memory

---

Ultimately, I'd love to have Gerrard at United, but I'd rather have Lampard at United. Honastly I'd like them both.
    The scary thing is, Gerrard is going to get better

Atari Jaguar
    PHB wrote:
    It was largely due to the tactics employed by Benetiz
    You mean Benitez's damage-limitation tactics?
    PHB wrote:
    It was not like Keano vs. Juve in 99
    You're right on this one... Liverpool's comeback, the one inspired by Gerrard, was infinitely more amazing.
    PHB wrote:
    Glory distorts the memory
    Yea and bitterness clouds it. I think Yoda said that once.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    Slash/ED wrote:
    No the negative is he doesn't performe as well as Lampard, fairly simple.
    Funny that, i dont know how many times ive watched a chelsea game where i just seen lampard in the second half, posing the question to people around me, "When did lampard come on?"

If you're trying to tell me Gerrard impressed in mid field in the CL final you're deluded, simple as that. I'm not even going to argue.
    The point is Gerrard showed nothing in the first half, nothing. Wasn't getting on the ball, wasn't making things happen, wasn't breaking up play, he was invisible. Men against boys.
    He impressed when he lead liverpool back from 3-0 down, he impressed as a player. He impressed as a leader.

I'm no Keane fan, and Liverpool winning does not equate to him playing well.
    But when united win gerrard is in keanes pocket? brilliant.

Idiotic logic. His performance at right back has 0% relevence to his performance in mid field. It's like hailing Quinns striking powers based on his penalty save for Man City.
    No, its like hailing quinns ability as a player.
    Best defense in the world? :D
    They were touted as that last year, how people forget.
    He was invisible for most of the match ffs. Look, if you're trying to tell me he showed himself to be a world class mid fielder in the champions league final you're beyond help and I'm not bothered replying any more. As John Giles said during the match, he disappeared. His goal does not cover this up, Liverpools mid field with him as the heart of it was dominated for that match. Hamann made the difference.
    He was invisible first half, as was the whole liverpool team, but he inspired the fight back, like it or loathe it.

Steven Gerrard
    Davei141 wrote:
    Funny that, i dont know how many times ive watched a chelsea game where i just seen lampard in the second half, posing the question to people around me, "When did lampard come on?"

You'll usually notice "when he came on" by virtua of him scoring or setting up a goal, when not doing that generally passing the ball very effectively and covering alot of ground.
    He impressed when he lead liverpool back from 3-0 down, he impressed as a player. He impressed as a leader.

Romantised notions "as a leader". As a player he wasn't there for most of the game, "leader" or not. He was bypassed by a superior Milan mid field and outrageously easily for alot of the match.
    But when united win gerrard is in keanes pocket? brilliant.

If you say so, I certinaly never said that.
    No, its like hailing quinns ability as a player.

Well that's just idiotic then.
    They were touted as that last year, how people forget.

Not by me, surely Deportivo put that myth to an end.
    He was invisible first half, as was the whole liverpool team, but he inspired the fight back, like it or loathe it.

In what way inspired, simply by scoring? If that's all it takes then yes. If however you want to actually look at his performance, he was sub standard.

Atari Jaguar
    PHB wrote:
    If I had to choose between Rooney and Lampard at the moment in my team, I'd pick Lampard.
    I guess your the only united fan on this green earth who would say that out loud. Whether you genuinely believe that, i dont know.

Gerrard is a liverpool fan so I would never want him wearing the armband.
    I don't think either of them are United captains, Gerrard drives the team through his own preformance, not by inspiring his teammates through leadership and preformance, like Keane used to.
    If I did have to pick another midfileder to be a United captain, I'd pick Vieira.
    If I honastly had to pick between Gerrard and Lampard, I'd pick Lampard. Lampard is consistantly great, Gerrard is often great.
    Lampard ahead of gerrard as a leader? Wheres jeremy beadle when you need him...
    The only reason Gerrard is the liverpool captain ahead of Carragher is because they want to keep him at Liverpool.

Yeah, its got nothing to do with his inspirations as a leader.

I really didn't think you'd bring that into the equation, but since you did, lets look why?
    Its cause he scored 7 goals in 7 games against the Welsh team and the other ****e team Liverpool played.
    The other ****e team you refer too, i remember you predicting they would beat us.:D Yeah he scored against **** teams, they dont count.
    Why were they playing those teams?
    Because Gerrard was inconsistant for the majority of the last season, and while he happens to be on form atm, and is thus amazing, he hasn't shown he can be consistant over a season, and until then, Lampard is the better player, one who has been consistant over the last 3 seasons.
    Actually it was because our manager didnt know much about the english league and the whole team being **** away from home.
    ----
    As regards Liverpoools formation, it is changed so much it is hard to discuss accurately.
    Then dont use it to further your argument.
    All this does is point out the ultimate point of this thread, is that they are different types of players, and it is like the following question.

In 1999, who was the better player, Scholes or Keane?
    This is the exact same problem.

But you still answered it.

--
    Also want to point out one thing, Liverpools three goals the second half and their eventual win on penalties was not just by Gerrard.
    You mean gerrard wasnt on the pitch on his own?!;)
    It was largely due to the tactics employed by Benetiz
    Yes, he let gerrard go forward and attack.
    and the terrible defending from Milan.
    Of course, its just a shame they didnt defend that badly against united over 180 minutes.
    It was not like Keano vs. Juve in 99,
    You mean the game were keane covered every blade of grass, scored, tackled to his hearts content, and really had an intrumental influence on the game? Na nothing like it.:rolleyes:
    and anyone who thinks it was should look at that match again. Then look at the CL final last year, and you'll see the difference. Glory distorts the memory
    Take your own advice.

Atari Jaguar

Technically speaking, comparing Chelsea's squad to any of the teams that Lampard has scored against is like comparing Liverpool at the time to TNS...

Atari Jaguar
    Slash/ED wrote:
    You'll usually notice "when he came on" by virtua of him scoring or setting up a goal, when not doing that generally passing the ball very effectively and covering alot of ground.
    Yeah, but when i say gerrard scored in the champions league final, you dismiss it saying "what else he do".

Romantised notions "as a leader". As a player he wasn't there for most of the game, "leader" or not. He was bypassed by a superior Milan mid field and outrageously easily for alot of the match.
    Yup, definately romanticised. That milan midfield had one of the best in the world, so being by passed in the first half when having to go forward isnt exactly something to beat gerrard with. As i said before he had to go forward because of the early goal, our defense was exposed.

If you say so, I certinaly never said that.
    Then stop saying he was in keanes pocket, when its a myth.

Well that's just idiotic then.
    Ok.

surely Deportivo put that myth to an end.
    Obviously not.

In what way inspired, simply by scoring? If that's all it takes then yes. If however you want to actually look at his performance, he was sub standard.

Yeah, liverpool got no inspiration from the captains header, and his brilliant pass and move that won the penalty, none from his dog like defensive work.

Its funny you saying lampard is world clas when hes anonymous for 80 minutes and scores, yet because gerrard wasnt brilliant for 120 minutes against the dead cert european champs, its a negative.

Is it me, or is gerrards expectations miles above lampards?

Atari Jaguar
    Davei141 wrote:
    Is it me, or is gerrards expectations miles above lampards?
    It's either that, or you should just not feed the trolls :x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Steven Gerrard
    Gotta be Lampard, can they not both play in the England Midfield? Lampard is the better player but Gerrard has the form at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I don't understand who anyone can claim either is hugely better than the other.

That said, I think Gerrard has the potential to be a better player than Lampard.

At the moment they are both performing to a very high level.

But the only argument against Lampard currently having better stats, is that Liverpool are in a worse team or a different type of player, which I agree with.

So which is it?
    If its the latter, why are we even discussing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Atari Jaguar
    I wouldnt really say they are a different type of player, more that they play different roles at their current clubs.

If a space became vacant in central midfield at a big club, I'm sure that Lampard and Gerrard would be on the shortlist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement