Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lampard-v-Gerrard

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think both players are equally good. However, they have slightly different attributes to their game as Lampard prefers to pass it around, he goes and fetches the ball, uses his vision and strokes it around, and more often than not is right up behind the forwards and utilise his good shot when anything comes back out.

Gerrard is more a "run at them" type of player, he is ready to ping a pass too especially first time and could be considered a more risky player. Gerrard is also a type of player that would play right back, centre half, centre forward, wherever, if asked, and in most cases he could do an ok job in those positions. Lampare hasnt been asked to fill-in for such roles so cant be judged on that.
    irish1 wrote:
    Gerrard is a better all round player a more complete player. However I don't think Gerrard would be as effective as Lampard is for Chelsea, Lampard fits into Chelsea's system perfectly, his ability to score goals from his position is incredible.

I think thats very true. Lampard is a slick central hub of the Chelsea engine. Both players rely (or are more effective going forward) if they have another player or too picking up behind them, such as Makelele, Essien, or Alonso, Sissoko/Hamann. Lampard sets the tempo for Chelsea and is very effective for them whereas Gerrard could perhaps if played in the same role be more trigger-happy and too quick fire.

Overall they are both good players who I think could play together in midfield but not as effectively perhaps as they are currently. This is perhaps Sven's happy dilemma, as In a way, they are similar enough to get in each others way.

For me, they are too close to call to say that one clearly outshines the other as a central midfielder, so I didnt vote.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Atari Jaguar
    If you think Gerrards performance was 'sub standard' in the CL final you really, know abolsolutely nothing about football. Sure, he wasnt amazing in the first half, neither was the whole liverpool team...noone is disputing this.

In the 2nd half he made a goal & scored a goal. He inspired the othr players with ruthless defending . He seemed to be the last man back on dozens of occasions and yet he was also their best attacking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Atari Jaguar
    redspider wrote:
    For me, they are too close to call to say that one clearly outshines the other as a central midfielder, so I didnt vote.

Atari Jaguar so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Atari Jaguar
    Tusky wrote:
    If you think Gerrards performance was 'sub standard' in the CL final you really, know abolsolutely nothing about football. Sure, he wasnt amazing in the first half, neither was the whole liverpool team...noone is disputing this.

In the 2nd half he made a goal & scored a goal. He inspired the othr players with ruthless defending . He seemed to be the last man back on dozens of occasions and yet he was also their best attacking player.

Filled in superbly at right-back too IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Atari Jaguar
    i'd prefer to have gerrard in my team then lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Atari Jaguar
    No way! If sven was asked that, he'd avoid the question totally and make a round about answer about how all players are important to the first eleven and that its not one person, but a team effort...
    That would be his answer, but he'd still have Gerrard;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Atari Jaguar
    Slash/ED - Gerrard didn't have the greatest of first 45 minutes in the CL final but he was being played out of position. A bit harsh to judge him on that.

On constistancy, Lampard is no more consistant than Gerrard and no player plays well in every game. So far this season Gerrard has played well in almost every match though.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

This is to close to Call so Atari Jaguar.
    Both these players are very good and are stronger in different areas of their game.Redspider summed it up perfectly for me in his last post,
    Lampard seems to score more goals as a midfielder but I havent seen Gerrard have real bad game this season.

Its to close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Steven Gerrard
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Slash/ED - Gerrard didn't have the greatest of first 45 minutes in the CL final but he was being played out of position. A bit harsh to judge him on that.

Yes but it's also outrageous to claim he had a good game as he scored a goal, that's nonsense. He may have excuses for not playing well but he did not show himself to be a great player for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nigel Reo Coker owns both of them tbh just sadly doesnt have the boot deal to get him stuck on the back pages :(

Him and either of the 2 above and England would have a superb central midfield.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Steven Gerrard
    I'm actually quite suprised by the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Atari Jaguar
    Slash/ED wrote:
    Yes but it's also outrageous to claim he had a good game as he scored a goal, that's nonsense. He may have excuses for not playing well but he did not show himself to be a great player for whatever reason.
    Lampard regularly gets away with mediocre performances by scoring. :)

Advertisement