Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MP3/CD players for the car

Options
  • 01-01-2006 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

I see that places like Argos and Halfords are all selling Car MP3/CD players for 140. JVC/Panasonic etc. Sound wise there doesn't seem to be lot between them. Any recomendations or ones to avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Have you compared prices to on-line stores, Argos and Halfords are not usually the cheapest.

try http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

John R wrote:
    Have you compared prices to on-line stores, Argos and Halfords are not usually the cheapest.

try http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/

Seems to be 7 euro in the difference on the base models. Hardly worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

in my experience i would keep away from 'Goodmans' i had to bring back one i bought 3 times for a replacement to Argos a few years ago,in the end i just put the extra few quid & got a kenwood instead & it never gave any trouble at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ive always been iffy to buy electronic equipment from argos, is it reliable to buy for instance a car stereo Cd player and all the rest from them or would it be better to buy in a car shop or electronic shop?

Argos have a good warranty and returns policy, that my main reason for using them. In Halfords they don't seem to car about the customers. The Car Audio shops are abuot 50% more expensive, Peats are expensive, Maplin sell rubbish. I had a Aldi unit but it broke, which is why I was looking for a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

What kind of car you got? Some manufacturers have blue, red, green displays for the players and this fits in with different models of cars displays.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're not in a rush for one, keep an eye out for the Aldi special offer ones, about €80/90 and excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stevenmu wrote:
    If you're not in a rush for one, keep an eye out for the Aldi special offer ones, about €80/90 and excellent value.
    I had a Aldi unit but it broke, which is why I was looking for a replacement.

I'd avoid the really cheap Alba/Goodmans ones. or just buy an I-pod and I-trip transmittor

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If you do have an mp3 player, just try and find something with an AUX in connection for a direct connection from your mp3 player (iPod/Creative/iRiver/iAudio etc). Having a direct AUX in connection is much better than iTrip/any fm transmitter and tape adaptors.

i like the i trip cos you can hide it, and i change cars a lot

• Advertisement

Well if you're changing cars a lot then it would definitely come in handy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Does anyone else find the quality from the iTrip appalling....I've stopped listenin to mine...gone back to cds.....maybe it's the channel I'm choosin.....anyone got a good unused channel....I use 105.7 but there's a lot of interference....I've tried playing about but to no avail.

Get an AUX in lead;) I think most CD head units have the connection at the back:)

fletch wrote:
    Does anyone else find the quality from the iTrip appalling....I've stopped listenin to mine...gone back to cds.....maybe it's the channel I'm choosin.....anyone got a good unused channel....I use 105.7 but there's a lot of interference....I've tried playing about but to no avail.

i've got a spurious one, seems to be better than the real thing

cormie wrote:
    If you do have an mp3 player, just try and find something with an AUX in connection for a direct connection from your mp3 player (iPod/Creative/iRiver/iAudio etc). Having a direct AUX in connection is much better than iTrip/any fm transmitter and tape adaptors.

True but that adds another €50-100 to the cost. I couldn't be bothered with that. Same with messing about leads and MP3 portables. Just leave a MP3/CD in it with 6-10 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

colm_mcm wrote:
    i've got a spurious one, seems to be better than the real thing
    Yeh I tried my mates one he got from Powercity for €25 and it was far better than the iTrip

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

I have a spare aldi cd/mp3 player, the one they were just selling with the usb connection. I bought 2, one for the brother and me. But he prefers the one he has at the moment and i'm willing to sell this so for €80 if your intrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I bought a Pioneer CD/MP3 Head Unit from incarexpress a few months back. Arrived in a week, fitted it myself in an hour and working great since. Same unit was 80 quid more expensive in Halfords incidentially :(

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I bought a Pioneer CD/MP3 Head Unit from incarexpress a few months back. Arrived in a week, fitted it myself in an hour and working great since. Same unit was 80 quid more expensive in Halfords incidentially :(

Which model?

This one. They do one in black/red too - mate of mine got it for his Passat and it matches perfectly

• Advertisement

I like the pioneers. Though I could adjust a cheaper JVC in the shop to sound the same. The display on the pioneer is better, and the build quality is better too. In fact I just ordered on. its only €10 more on that site than the other brands are here. Really have to give the Aldi one back sooner rather than later.

Cheers.

No bother.. glad to be of help - btw, the ones I linked to support a remote that you can clip to the steering wheel if you're that way inclined. I find it grand as is though myself.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    This one. They do one in black/red too - mate of mine got it for his Passat and it matches perfectly
    would you highly recommend this one? Im looking for (when i say looking for, i mean keeping a look out, wont have a car for another 2-3 weeks) a good, reliable cd/mp3 player for the car, any recommendations?

Well I bought the grey/green one (twice - had it in my old car as well) and my mate bought the black/red one for his. No trouble at all with them and good quality units. Only thing they lack is a mute button but you can hold in the mode switch to turn off or just temporarily eject the facia.

would this be a good one to start off with? Also what about MinistryofSound ones? As seen in Argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Also what about MinistryofSound ones? As seen in Argos?

Afaik there just a rebranded goodmans.

I looked at a lot of different brands/models before deciding on the Pioneer. Reasons included:
    - Price
    - Features
    - MP3 Support
    - Grey/Green facia matches the interior nicely & is nicer than the bright neon look of some units I think.
    - Nice clean display & buttons/controls well placed and easy to navigate (I hate the "cluttered" look of some players, both in terms of the display and controls).

No regrets at all - great sound with the 4 factory installed speakers (actually better because the Mirage Colt-style hatchback version I had previously had the rear speakers mounted in the sides rather than on the back shelf where they are in the Mirage Coupe I have now :)), and easy to install... would recommend it.

eireal wrote:
    Afaik there just a rebranded goodmans.
    so they would be ok, could you rely on them like?

Thanks Kaiser2000, appreciate the help, might consider getting that one if I dont but locally in shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Well goodmans would be a budjet brand,they only thing about argos is you normally have good comeback and the 16day money back garuntee if you decide you dont want the unit

• Advertisement

Thanks eireal.
    Any one else have any experience with ministry of sound (or goodmans) car stereos? Heres a link to one

http://shop.ministryofsound.com/Cultures/en-GB/Products/MOSCA033.htm?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=MinistryofSound|Audio|Car_Audio

this is the one from the argos catalogue, but there is also a higher spec one too in it

Advertisement