Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 speaker question

• 01-01-2006 7:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Have had a set of creative 5.1 speakers sitting around collection dust so decided to conect them to my dvd player. The only thing is when I play a dvd the same sound comes out of all the speakers. With a surround sound setup aren't you only suppose to hear back ground sounds from the rear speakers or is it normal for the same sound to be coming from both the front/center/rear speakers (am I making sense?)

Thks Cubix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

How did you connect them to the player? I presume somewhere in the chain is a 5.1 decoder (Either the amp for the speakers or built into the DVD player)? As long as there is a decoder somewhere (And you didn't just connect the Stereo out from the player to the line in on the speaker setup) check that it is not set to stereo or mono mode (if it has one) and is set to receive whatever surround format your source is using (Dolby Digital/DTS etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Hi Creed
    Have not got the model number to hand but its a creative speaker set up (5speakers+1amp/subwoofer.Just to clarify if I have it setup right should I be hearing the same sound from the back speakers as I do in the front? or should the back speakers only kick in when background voices/music plays

Cubix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Ivan E

Back speakers should only kick in with background noises. Most of the sound will come from the centre, left and right speakers. Your decoder be it in the dvd player or in a separate receiver will determine exactly where the sound should come from i.e if it is background noise, it will be emitted from the back speakers.

The difference between something like prologic and digital sound is that prologic uses the two back speakers as one whereas digital will use each one separately. So an airplane flying in the background will start on one back speaker and sound will work its way across to the other back speaker.

So a character or person speaking should not come out in the back speakers unless they are meant to be talking in the background.

If you were to play a CD through the same home theatre system, it should pick it up as a music cd and emit the same sound through all speakers as that's the way its meant to be played i.e no decoding.

I presume as suggested you have no encoder or it is not set up right.

Advertisement