Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storage via WIFI

• 01-01-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've just bought a Maxtor OneTouch II (300GB) external drive. I intend to buy a "Linksys Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 hard drives" and was wondering can i connect the Linksys link to the Caymen WIFI Modem (Eircom supplied) to enable me to access the OneTouch via WIFI? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi amax...

This the yoke your are talking about...?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307213&cks=PLS

Does you Caymen WIFI modem have a built in hub/switch? Because both the storage link and your PC needs a central network connection, you will need a switch (more intelligent than the older hubs)

Best bet would be to get an Eircom netopia wireless router which has 4 network port sockets...plug your wired PC into it, plug the linksys storage into another. I havent seen these units in operation, but it will get an IP address from the router. You will probably have to share folders and map a drive letter to them. Look up the manual online to seehow it operates exactly.

Because the netopia is wireless, if you have a wireless laptop, you will be able to access the linksys because it's all TCP/IP linked over the network.

Sounds like a good idea to me to have network attached storage, NAS, means you could have a hard drive on your network but physically hidden in a safe or sumthin'!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amaxwell

Thanks humaxf1, i'll give it a shot.

amaxwell

Advertisement