Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's Ringing in New Year Programme

• 01-01-2006 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Stayed in last night. Thought that RTE's New Year programme with Ryan Tubridy was the worst programme ever. At 12 the count down was so poor, not one bit celebratory. The difference to BBC's programming and the super fireworks at the London eye. Tubridy's audience looked half dead or something.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I guess this is what happens when you pre-record your new years show?
    I'm guessing they do......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Was it pre-recorded? I thought they gave it up after last years debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Of course it was pre-recorded! Have you not seen the promo for it over the past week or so?

RTE don't do live NYE shows, but if they did......*

* they'd be worse

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RadioRetro wrote:
    RTE don't do live NYE shows, but if they did......*
    * they'd be worse

I don't know it could be better, but god forbid they might actually put in the work.
    From what I could see lastnight the BBC did a good job and when it hit 12.30 they were still showing stuff from London, but all RTE could do was start showing movies on both channels.
    Very poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Really what are you expecting from RTE anyway?

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote:
    Really what are you expecting from RTE anyway?

....ah decent use of our tv license money perhaps?
    As a channel it seems they can't do a decent job of anything other then sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The technical side of which is run by independant production companies, leaving RTE only to staff the FOC segments and commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Enii wrote:
    At 12 the count down was so poor, not one bit celebratory. The difference to BBC's programming and the super fireworks at the London eye. Tubridy's audience looked half dead or something.
    I have to agree. Tubridy's show was absolutely dire. John Kenny (a "comedian", who comes up with one good joke a year), Síle Seoige (used to be nice, but now has her head stuck up her own backside, due to presenting her own programme) and Mary Coughlan (a recovering alcoholic, who can't really sing at all)...? I mean, what was it all about? I knew as soon as I saw Kenny starting to sing Wild Thing that things were going to go downhill rapidly. I think even Tubridy was embarrassed at how bad his guests actually were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I was playing Need For Speed Most Wanted... But I did catch the London coverage! Man they must have spent millions on the fireworks!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

sile was wearing a curtain,
    how do they work the phone in when its not live...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rfoley

It was live. Not very "a-live", but it was broadcast live...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Enii wrote:
    Was it pre-recorded? I thought they gave it up after last years debacle.

What happened last year?

I bet many people didn't know this but thousands of people across Ireland rang in the new year last night between 1 and 3 seconds too late if they were watching the countdown on Sky Digital. There is a slight delay between real-live TV and what your seeing on Sky usually no longer than three seconds. If you have terrestrial aerial turn the volume up loud and listen to RTE1 on Sky then you will hear the same thing twice!! Thousands rang in the new year with 5-4-3 lol :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The thing that got me was around 00:04 they (RTE) had an add brake....The BBC coverage was very good again,the London fireworks were the best I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

They put an additional method of stopping on the programme?

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, the Beeb's coverage was the best I'd seen. In fact, Tubridy was so dire, I thought it was recorded!

I'd shudder to think how much the fireworks in London cost, but it was damn amazing! Great pyrotechnics! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Was out so didnt see any of the TV festivities, But RTE have always been notorious for bad ,lifeless TV shows. They rarely if ever have a camera outside the studio , so you get this poor list of crap irish celebraties all sober as a judge counting down the new year. They should just send a camera man out to some random party, theyd surely see a bit more excitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

pat kenny wrote:
    They rarely if ever have a camera outside the studio
    In fairness, NYE in Ireland /Dublin is a joke.
    There's no decent focal point for celebration.
    Nearly every other capital city has a centre where crowds would gather to welcome in the NY with fireworks etc.
    Here, we just pack into pubs and club and get sloshed... like another of the other 364 nights.
    I don't think a camera showing mass brawls in Temple Bar and lads urinating openly on the street would be a welcome inclusion.
    (I saw a bloke taking a piss in the middle of the road outside Garda building on Harcourt St last night.... classy city is Dublin...).
    There's even a New Years Day parade in London today.... I can't see anything like that here as we'd all be too hungover to stage it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I was truly awe struck by the fantastic coverage on BBC1 last night, the huge firework display from the London Eye seemed to go on for ever, and before that we had Katherine Jenkins belting-out some powerful songs, not forgetting the Ice-skating, and glimpses of different New Year parties from all over the UK Inc Belfast! and all this was washed down with Jools Hollands very polished annual "Hootinanny" on BBC2 (GoldFrapp/ KT.Tunstell/ Marc Almond/ Kaiser Chiefs/ etc) Ten out of Ten again this year to the BBC.

I did manage to do a little channel hopping just before Midnight and I am sorry to say I thought RTE was (as usual) as dull as dishwater, and whatever happened to the promised "Live" New Years Eve Show?

No Fireworks from the Quays? No Bells from Christchurch Cathedral? No festivities in Cork?
    No Nothing really - just Tubridy and some dull as dishwater guests talking about dullness.........

Thank God for the BBC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Well, as has been said it most certainly was not prerecorded - given the ridiculousness of Gay's previous recorded events, and also the fact Tubridy Tonight goes out live anyway.

Indeed the fact that the live element was mentioned on at least three occasions through the programme, and that it was for the most part an entertaining, lively production leads me to believe that nothing but the usual RTÉ bashing is taking place here on the part of some people - did you even watch it? (no cause it's loike, RTÉ loike, and it's loike, rubbish loike :rolleyes:)

Could not agree more about the ad break post-midnight - as they do every year now they cut to a commerical break inside the second minute of the New Year in what can only be described as a disgusting practice - it beggars belief they do this, not only as a nation's focal point on such a night, but as a public service broadcaster - it is disgraceful. They've done this for the past three years at least now.

And agreed that RTÉ do have a genuine problem - nothing happens in Ireland that is worthy of televising. Not that this ought to be an excuse - a collaboration if needs be between RTÉ and Dublin City Council ought to be established in ensuring there's a decent fireworks display in the centre of Dublin. It is such an embarrassment that most Irish people have a greater affinity with the stunning icon of Big Ben, and London's fireworks every year than with what RTÉ have to offer.

Tubridy's show was very entertaining, good family fun too, including loud-mouth Seoige conveying just how far up her own arse she is, but a focal point at midnight is essential - and that's where greater efforts ought to be made by broadcaster and municipal authorities. Dublin City Council are equally culpable in this respect.
    A collaboration between these two bodies, as well as perhaps a commercial sponsor, and maybe even the RTÉ Concert Orchestra in a live outdoor setting with fireworks could be spectacular. If only someone would bother getting up off their arse.

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    If only someone would bother getting up off their arse.

True.

Of course, the irony is that one of the brewerys are probably more than willing to stump up the cash for such an event.... one that could never go ahead due to our abuse of their products....

Would be nice to think they could do some "Times Square" effect to the Spire on O'Connell St being the centrepiece with fireworks all around that area...
    I've cousins over from London at the moment for our "celebrations" in Dublin city.... brought them out last night. I dont think they'll be coming back...

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Yes, the new O'Connell Street would be absolutely perfect - indeed the very purpose it was designed for
    Even the Skyfest every year is as dull as dishwater as far as the location is concerned - pulling everyone out of the heart of the city down to the drab office district of the IFSC and apartment building site. The city centre is where it's at - the heart of the old city.
    Feck the residents - it's one night of the year. Everywhere else can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Enii wrote:
    Stayed in last night. Thought that RTE's New Year programme with Ryan Tubridy was the worst programme ever. At 12 the count down was so poor, not one bit celebratory. The difference to BBC's programming and the super fireworks at the London eye. Tubridy's audience looked half dead or something.

I have to agree with you there, Enii. Tubridy was absolutely fu*cking sh1te. :mad:

I noticed that the countdown was about 2-3 seconds ahead of those in London or Edinburgh. God Almighty, they probably recorded this show 2 weeks ago and couldn't even get the timing right for the most important aspect of the wholecharade.

Wjhat were RTÉ trying to do? - out-done themselves from last year. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

The good thing about the show was that it wasn't pre-recorded. The bad thing about it was that for a show that was live there was very little "life" attached to it.

At least it was better than watching a recording of Gay Byrne and guests celebrating the new year on December 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

RTE's NYE productions are usually woeful, cheap and anything but cheerful.

This year's (NYE 2006) production maintained the usual low standard.

Can NYE on RTE get any worse ? Possibly, if they decide to satisfy the continuity official language lobby and present NYE in Irish !

It is enough to drive a person to drink.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scobie

Tubridy Tonight was a LIVE show. It was not pre-recorded.
    The fireworks display etc. on the Beeb was put on by the Mayor of London and associated councils - the BBC just covered it. Mind you, they did a good job. If there was a comparable display in Dublin I'm sure that RTE or another Irish station would have covered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I get the distinct impression that a lot of the people commenting on here about RTE's show didn't actually watch it and are just jumping on a bandwagon. If you did watch it it was obvious, unless you're plain thick, to see that it was live.

It wasn't the best NYE show on tv, but there wasn't much to show OB wise anyway was there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

It was crap and boring, but what did people expect? The very idea of a program to ring in the New Year is comical. This is Ireland. No matter who does this type of program, at the end of the day, it's still going to mean sitting down to watch Irish soap stars and talent show rejects drinkng and engaging in small talk.

They could have just stuck on a movie but then people would be whinging about that. Stop ripping on R.T.E. all the time, just ask yourself one question: How much worse would it have been if TV3 had made it? That would be infintely worse; aiden cooney and brendan courtney swanning around with glasses of champagne interviewing actors from heartbeat and coronation street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Enii wrote:
    Thought that RTE's New Year programme with Ryan Tubridy was the worst programme ever.
    I didn't see last nights programme, but I refuse to believe that it was worse that on New Year's Eve 1999 when the nation rang in the year 2000 to the sight of Pat Kenny and Liz Bonnin dancing arm in arm in a very depressing, slow moving line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Danny13

the show wasn't THAT bad...I mean it was a bit of a laugh,fair enough the guests weren't exactly "glittering" but that Seoige girl is fairly sound! Thought she did a much better job on YAS than yer man Mooney. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Telef&#237 wrote: »

it was for the most part an entertaining, lively production leads me to believe that nothing but the usual RTÉ bashing is taking place here on the part of some people - did you even watch it?

Tubridy's show was very entertaining, good family fun too.

What was entertaining, at 11.45 on New Years Eve, about Mary Coghlan talking about a couch? Sorry I need a little bit more than this to be entertained. Am I expecting too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i'd love to know if BBC arranged the fireworks or if they just covered london city councils celebrations, i've no doubt RTE could do as good a job on covering dublin city councils celebrations if they were broadcast worthy,

to be fair, most people aren't watching after the countdown so the ad break isn't really an issue, most peope are ringing relatives and loved ones, or going out to the fridge to fill up their drink. but they really should try and make it something more substantial, if it was made into an event like the BBC coverage by having the street celebrations then it would have more impact.
    i like ryan tubridy and i think he's great, but he's the wrong man for the job, to make a big deal out of it you need a Ross-type charasmatic presenter.

The ad break is a big issue I think - by definition people watching RTÉ's or the BBC's NYE programming are those who are sitting at home, many alone (which the BBC go out of their way to acknowledge every year in a lovely way), or simply couples with young children, or older people - all of which have the television (or radio) has the only contact with the New Year countdown. Instead of everyone being able to clink a glass or whatever in front of the telly, and then enjoy some sort of visual spectacle/entertainment for a few minutes, RTÉ cut to a bloody ad break inside 90 seconds - it's terrible.

Agreed with Danny, the show was a laugh overall, esp Kenny acting up, and Mary Coghlan was entertaining too - her sultry performance a nice 'alternative' piece to relax to as well. If only Seoige could've been replaced with someone not so obsessed with themselves - someone relaxed and comical, it would have made for a really great show.

Certainly to make it more lively, straight away I'd have a larger audience - Studio 4 is capable of holding 300 people, but it's never ever done because they can't be bothered with the hassle (and it does make things somewhat short on space admittedly). RTÉ always use 200 - that's why BBC/ITV studio productions always sound and look so much more lively and impressive, they use 300-350 audiences.
    The only time in its 11 year history that there's been a 300 audience in that studio was for Gay's last Late Late.
    It'd make all the difference for the New Year's Eve production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 chelle2ie

Well as someone who ended up sitting in new years eve I have to say that the BBC did themselves proud by having 2 brilliant programmes to watch. I couldn't stand to watch too much of RTE as that Mary woman who thought she could sing was more embarassing than the thought of sitting in on new years eve. It was great, had the BBC on in the backgrond and was watching out the window across the city at all the private fireworks that were let off at midnight. There must be something outside the studio that RTE could have filmed because honestly I've seen more of a hoopla about the opening of the door than was made about the new year. Hope they manage to make a better go of it next year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

to be fair, most people aren't watching after the countdown so the ad break isn't really an issue,

I have two young kids so I was stuck in with a few drinks.I had RTE on and it was appalling,they did the countdown and formalities and a couple of mins later went on a brake,no big deal you say....well I switched over to see what the BBC were up to and it was spectacular,I did not turn RTE back on.I wounder how many others switched and did not go back.

This city needs to get its act together for NYE the amount of tourist's i came across in the city over the New Year and nothing was on for them or the locals.I wounder how many repeat tourist we get for NYE,I would think not many.You can only sell the "Craic" for so long....some nights people want a big party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

At least in Cork we had fireworks! Although they were on at 8.30 in the lashing rain :(

• Advertisement

Is waterford the only place where the city itself does some fireworks come midnight or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Cabaal wrote:
    ....ah decent use of our tv license money perhaps?

Holy crap - change the record. That's all people moan about on thia forum. What do you honestly expect form RTE? They f*ck everything up, yet you're surprised each time it happens again and you repeat the same droning crap about "our licence money". The licence money is f*ck-all, you bum, so deal with it or get SKY Digital, or move away.

There's a lot of RTE bashing here and I think a lot is unjustified.
    You have to remember, RTE had no celebration like Edinburgh or London to broadcast.
    New Years is bascially a posion chalice for them until the Government and local councils get up and do something.
    They have to realise it's not just for a once-off NY celebration, but it's acting as a showcase for potential tourists the world over.
    Millions will have seen the fireworks in London and will have thought about visiting there.... if not for NY but for sometime during the year.
    Given the fact we're holding one of the biggest sporting events in the World this year (Ryder Cup), you thought we'd get something out.

Then again, I think there's a simple reason why we dont put much effort into NYE...... and thats because of March 17th.
    Unlike many countries, our tourist board have a specially reserved day that highlights our country worldwide and it's the one time we have decent celebrations of an event.... and it's only a couple of months away.
    The "festival" has extended over the past few years and the "Skyfest" is one of the best yearly fireworks shows in the World.
    Those with the budgets probably see this is a greater ROI event and leave NYE alone. You dont exactly see fireworks from London during St Georges Day or any other yearly event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

didn't see the RTE programme - wouldn't watch anything being presented by that plank Tubridy.

but jools holland's show was excellent - real party atmosphere, mostly good music (perhaps a bit to much boogie-woogie stuff from jool's own band), great singalong of Irene Goodnight at the end.

then switched over to "James Last live 1977" on BBC4 which was like a time capsule from a long-lost age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

all that luvviedom on jools holland was making me nauseous and bbc1 had the unbearable natasha kaplinsky

bah humbug

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote:
    There's a lot of RTE bashing here and I think a lot is unjustified.
    You have to remember, RTE had no celebration like Edinburgh or London to broadcast.
    New Years is bascially a posion chalice for them until the Government and local councils get up and do something.
    They have to realise it's not just for a once-off NY celebration, but it's acting as a showcase for potential tourists the world over.
    Millions will have seen the fireworks in London and will have thought about visiting there.... if not for NY but for sometime during the year.
    Given the fact we're holding one of the biggest sporting events in the World this year (Ryder Cup), you thought we'd get something out.

Then again, I think there's a simple reason why we dont put much effort into NYE...... and thats because of March 17th.
    Unlike many countries, our tourist board have a specially reserved day that highlights our country worldwide and it's the one time we have decent celebrations of an event.... and it's only a couple of months away.
    The "festival" has extended over the past few years and the "Skyfest" is one of the best yearly fireworks shows in the World.
    Those with the budgets probably see this is a greater ROI event and leave NYE alone. You dont exactly see fireworks from London during St Georges Day or any other yearly event.

Well said.

It's also a pity that in Ireland we don't even have a 'national clock' of sorts, like the UK - really they are incredibly 'lucky' over their with Big Ben, municipal fireworks, and the vast resources of the BBC to boot. Could you ask for anything more? :)

Saying that, we have plenty more modest clocks and bells about our capital that could become a focus - whether it be the clock and chimes of St Patrick's cathedral, the magnificent peals of Christchurch to ring in the new year, the clock of the Custom House (though no chimes I think), even Clerys or Easons for crying out loud!
    Or the iconic Shandon Steeple in Cork (though I think it ought to remain in the capital). So many options that RTÉ could use of their own accord if they were bothered. Send out an OB unit, and a handful of firecrackers and screamers - what more do you want? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The panel was on RTE TWO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Didn't watch all of the tubridy show, but it was fairly harmless from what I saw .. tuburdy is starting to irritate me less and less these days.

I do think it's a bit unfair to constantly comparing the show to bbc, try comparing it to UTV ... what was on there? GERRY and LULU, with special guests TONY CHRISTIE, and THE CONWAY SISTERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I do think it's a bit unfair to constantly comparing the show to bbc, try comparing it to UTV ... what was on there? GERRY and LULU, with special guests TONY CHRISTIE, and THE CONWAY SISTERS.

:Shudder:

How did TV3 celebrate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

parasite wrote:
    all that luvviedom on jools holland was making me nauseous and bbc1 had the unbearable natasha kaplinsky

bah humbug

Sorry parasite, I just couldnt let that "Natasha" comment go unchallenged:-) I think she is a total Babe & as for BBC2, the georgeous Allison Goldfrapp + K.T. Tunstell were both on the Jools Hootenanny Show (Babe fantastic BBC or what)!

Advertisement