Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone really frightened about the JC??

Options
  • 01-01-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Anyone sooo scared?? I have nightmares a lot nearly everynight about it but it still doesn't make me study harder! I don't get bad results most of the time on exams and tests so I don't think I'm going to do seriosly badly in them, I just think I won't get all the studying done on time. The most common nightmare is that I forget everything for my maths exam like my calculator etc.!!!!!!! So so scared!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We all have fears, I still get school dreams and I'm 33!

Perhaps explain this to your parents / teachers and discuss ways to beat the exam stress.

Simple things like avoiding sugary foods (they cause sudden highs then sudden lows) and getting exercise helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

There's no need to worry at all. Just relax. The junior cert was relatively easy for me. You've got to remember, tis not a big deal. Only a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Don't worry about that pesky Junior cert thingy, it was only invented to stres out young people to lower life expectancy so that future governments won't have to fork out pension funds for too long after retirement. Pluss the feeling of absolute elation once the things overwith is great. Then you realise youve got a leaving cert coming up... Agh! Once the JC is over and you've got your results back you'll laugh about how seriously you took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It does seem like a pretty scary prospect, but just think of it like this; they're only testing what you've learned. You've spent the last two and a half years preparing for this, you're a lot more ready for it than you think. You'll be surprised how much stuff you'll remember when it comes down to it. =P

And as far as the studying goes... well, don't try and get ALL of it done. Get as much as you can, and if you don't get it all done, it's not the end of the world. You can only do so much, you don't have to memorise the entire course off by heart, so don't try. If you take on too much study you won't get any of it done (I remember being too afraid to start studying because I knew I wouldn't be able to learn everything), so just do what you can.

Also, about forgetting your calculator... I can't guarantee this and it's probably technically not allowed, but I'd say the supervisor could give you one. They're not heartless beasts, they don't want to see you failing your exam because of something silly like not giving you a calculator.

(Just remember to have your calculator in DEG mode for the exam. =P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Or, you could do something like give them to a person sitting near you to mind, if you're that worried about it. Yeah, I remember being pretty scared, not because of the results, I didn't care, but becuse of my parents. In the end though, I just concentrated on having fun for the year, and even between exams. I didn't do too well (3as, 4bs, 2 cs) but I had a really good year. Which I figure is best in the long run.

• Advertisement

Flashling wrote:
    I didn't do too well (3as, 4bs, 2 cs) but I had a really good year.
    Thats a perfectly good result, which I suspect puts you in the top 20% of students.

And while not wishing to freak out Apple Gal, in the JC, you need a 40% mark to pass. In real life / work you need a 95%-98% mark to pass (but you can read the book).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Apple Gal wrote:
    I don't get bad results most of the time on exams and tests
    You're good in school. You'll be fine. Just put in a bit of study, and you'll be surprised how much you remember.

And antoandmoe, that's a facinating theory you have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Victor wrote:
    In real life / work you need a 95%-98% mark to pass (but you can read the book).

Well, someone's clearly never read dilbert! OP, dont worry till after the mocks. Then you'll know what you need to study.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

After worrying about it since christmas, i found the junior cert quite easy and i think i did fairly well(3 A's, 6B's and a C)I only studied for French(i had a bad teacher) and Irish(my bogey subject) Every other subject I only studied the week or so before the test.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Miss...

Personally i think they should get rid of the Junior Cert...what a waste of time. You'll be grand...when you look back at the JC when you're in 6th year you'll be thinking wow...that was easy...fecking leaving cert...grrr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Not having the Junior Cert would probably make the Leaving Cert so much more terrifying.
    I mean, I was more scared doing my mocks than my actual Junior Cert, since I'd never done something like them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i will have broken down so many times coming up to the the junior it won't even be funny.I know a girls that ares so stressed that shes lost around a stone because of it.I'm just going to have to work and get maths formulas tatooed on the inside of my eyelids.

Ah feck just rememebered I write really slow and illegible and it gets worse as I get faster.I'm not even going to have the first page of the exam done by the time times up.AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!and don't just say write quicker no on one can read it faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

the same happens wit my writing, i'm nervous about it a bit now but i'm gonna be so bad in June! i think some of the panic comes from all the pressure thats put on us to do well from parents and teachers. my parents want me to do brilliant because my older sister did

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

My God, would you all relax? It's not gonna be the worst thing in the world..
    I'm doing 12 subjects and my families expectations for me are 8 As and 4 Bs. that requires study but it's do-able.

Don't get stressed and have break downs, where's that gonna get you?
    A girl the year ahead of me had a break down and had to see a phychiatrist. (or so the rumours go..)

Really, all my friends and family who have sat the Junior say it's nothing.
    People from the forum have said it's nothing to get worried about.

Just do your best and don't worry 'bout it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

i'm doing 11 and my parents want 11As. Its hard when its that kind of pressure and you know they will be disappointed if you get a couple of Bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'd be happy with all honors.I know i'd never get all A's or b's

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

My parents aren't pressuring me as such, they just have high expectations for me.

I know they'd be disappointed in me if I didn't reach my potential but honestly, I'd be disappointed in myself aswell.

When they're at you to study and tell you you're not doing enough etc etc it gets really irritating as I'm sure everyone's experienced. It's reversed physchology - when they tell me to do it, I don't. When they leave me, I do it more obligingly myself.

Do as much study that you are capable of doing but don't kill yourselves and try not to worry if you're being pressured.

Victor wrote:
    And while not wishing to freak out Apple Gal, in the JC, you need a 40% mark to pass. In real life / work you need a 95%-98% mark to pass (but you can read the book).
    Flashling wrote:
    Well, someone's clearly never read dilbert! OP, dont worry till after the mocks. Then you'll know what you need to study.
    Any specific quotes?

Of course, half the job takes 90% of the time, the other half takes the other 90% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mr. Nice Guy

Apple Gal wrote:
    Anyone sooo scared?? I have nightmares a lot nearly everynight about it but it still doesn't make me study harder! I don't get bad results most of the time on exams and tests so I don't think I'm going to do seriosly badly in them, I just think I won't get all the studying done on time. The most common nightmare is that I forget everything for my maths exam like my calculator etc.!!!!!!! So so scared!!!!!

a test is a test

its not life...you gotta remember that and you'll be fine.

teachers heap too much pressure on kids... i remember one teacher telling us before the jc back when i was doing it, that it was more important than the lc because if you didn't do well enough you wouldn't be able to do higher level subjects etc.....

i had a big argument with him about how that was a load of crap.....

this guy then tells me that i'm not fit to do honours maths for the leaving cause i came really close to failing it in the jc. but i got a better result in the leaving cert than the junior cert so he can go shove it up his ass :p

the exams won't decide who you are..... thats always up to yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bondirules

hi yeh im doin the j.c too!!
    im not that smart but i think if i just study and try my best ill be ok theres no point in worrying it dsnt even go towards anything and apparantly its quite easy!! dont stress theres no point just enjoy the year as most as possible!!
    i no the mocks r in like 3 weeks im soooo screwed but im just gona study my ass off!!!well ill try!! dont worry next year u wont care at all!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Apple Gal wrote:
    Anyone sooo scared?? QUOTE]

Scared ****less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I couldn't care less. I got 8 A's,2B's and a D in my Christmas test. I'll have to work on that D but I couldn't care less if I get all B's in the Junior. I'm worryin' about the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Sweet wrote:
    I couldn't care less. I got 8 A's,2B's and a D in my Christmas test. I'll have to work on that D but I couldn't care less if I get all B's in the Junior. I'm worryin' about the LC.

Would you not be really happy with all B's in the Junior Cert? I know I would...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

liamskater wrote:
    Apple Gal wrote:
    Anyone sooo scared?? QUOTE]

Scared ****less
    I second that. I've been having back problems and tension headaches since the start of 3rd year. I got 3As 4Bs 3Cs in the christmas exams but it's not helping my stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I got a D in Maths, An A in English and Religion, pretty much B's in everything else except for Business (A)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

Did my first mocks paper today,it was irish so not too bad.But it's not as bad as I thought,but their only the mocks! But thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Apple Gal wrote:
    you really shouldn't be scared when you get through all the exams you will realise that the jc isnt half as bad as you thought it was believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

the other night before my my pre's started i had a dream that i went in and i found out i was having my german exam when i thought i was having my english
    im not worries about it at all though
    just a weird dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭yourpetzombie

I've started having dreams about Seamus Heaney and learning formulae which is slightly worrying! I was all stressed out, but now I'm not too bothered. I just need to get a B, or maybe a C, in everything so I can do it at higher level. My parents are expecting all As because my sister is a genius of sorts and my teachers have been putting all sorts of fancy notions about me getting all As into their little heads, which doesn't help me in the slightest. I end up just wanting to fail everything to annoy them.

Finally, I'm having a bout of teenage rebellion! About time and all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement