Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with fire ashes

Options
  • 01-01-2006 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Any ideas on what to do with the above apart from sticking them in the bin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hey man, One option would to bury them if you are living out of town but it would not be recommended.

We used to mix fire ashes with our compost heap but we had the trouble of drawing alot of vermin, since then we dig the ashes into the soil around our plants and shrubs to make a pot ash mulch.

Depending on the amount you are dealing with I would suggest on contacting your local recycling centre, maybe they might be able to take it or give a few suggestions.Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Geegee

We used to mix fire ashes with our compost heap but we had the trouble of drawing alot of vermin, since then we dig the ashes into the soil around our plants and shrubs to make a pot ash mulch.

Would coal ashes not poison the plants? I was thinking of putting it in the compost bin but someone said it would poison the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It should be OK, why do you think it would poison the soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I cannot comment on coal ashes as we do not burn it, I dont see why it would trouble anything in your garden.
    I can only speak from my own experience, we mixed ashes with our compost for a long time but in our case we had 2-3 fires go every day as we only put OFCH in recently, maybe we were drawing rats because of the amount we were disposing of but it did very little if not no damage to the soil in that area of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Coal ashes are a real problem in the soil - not to be recommended at all. Briquette ashes aren't good either .

Wood ash is quite ok and a good source of potash but leached very quickly through the soil, so you should add close to planting time and keep dry till then. One problem though is the soil will get very sticky / wet if you use too much wood ash in one spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

its hard to know wat to do with them! i bag them.. let them cool for a few days then pop the odd bag in with the rubbish collection.. :) would be great to find a better way to get rid...

on another note - i noticed yesterday while at the bottle bank that they also have a bank for drinks cans... didnt know this ... will be using this one to lighten the load in future too!

Advertisement