Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Esat BT broadband wireless

• 01-01-2006 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

I got the zyxel modem/router when I got broadband over a year ago.
    This gets a WAN address and a LAN address. It also acts as a DHCP server. So this is handy, I hook the LAN port up to a switch and then I can just plug in computers and they're on the network when they boot up. The handy thing about switches is they dont have ip addresses!

I now want to setup a wireless lan in the house. A few things confuse me.
    Say I buy the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148&cks=PLC)

Now the Linksys will have it's own LAN ip but will it have a DHCP client to get it from the zyxel modem or should it now be the DHCP server so my laptop can get on without hassle??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

would you not consider betting a combo Wireless Router/Modem. Something like this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311825&cks=PRL for €85 from Komplett?

Or something similar from another vendor. OK it's a little more expensive than your original idea, but it's so much more hastle free. Plus this particular model from Komplett is ADSL2+ as well, so if/when BT/Eircom move up you don't have to get new hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Yes I've seen that and was considering it also. It's a pity it has no reviews though. Will that definately work with with Esat BT?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You should have no bother setting up one of these combined units with any of the dsl isps here. another pretty popular one is the linksys wag54g.

http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=18&ipid=667

As regards the original question the usual answer is to put the modem/router into bridging mode and to let the wireless router do the dhcp stuff or you can turn dhcp off on the wireless router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I was in the same boat as yourself before, i have the wired modem from Esat BT, i wanted wireless so i bought a wireless modem and its easy enough to setup, you will need your username(username@iolbb) and password that esat setup for you and the vpi#:8 and vci#:35, protocol is PPPoE.

Thats all you need, switch on DHCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Here's another question, I have the Zyxel router too with BT, but if I were to hook up the PCI Wi-Fi (802. 11g/b) card, could any wireless laptops connect to my broadband connection (at 54Mbps or whatever it is)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BopNiblets wrote:
    Here's another question, I have the Zyxel router too with BT, but if I were to hook up the PCI Wi-Fi (802. 11g/b) card, could any wireless laptops connect to my broadband connection (at 54Mbps or whatever it is)?

I am not quite sure what you mean?

If you buy a wireless router or an all in one wireless modem/router and set up a wireless network any suitably equipped pc or laptop i.e with wireless card or say with centrino wireless on board can connect.

You can set up a security password to stop other computers connecting - the 54mbps is usually a guideline in the realworld you wont achieve that but it does not matter as the wireless connection speed is still far in excess of the actual connection speed to the net.

BopNiblets wrote:

Depends.

Assuming you are running windows XP, then there is an Internet connection sharing wizard available on XP which lets you do what you describe. It creates a bridge between the ADSL Modem (one Network Device) and the wireless PCI card (another network device) and routes traffic between the two.

Interesting par is whether you can get your wireless card to act as a Gateway : If you can, then you're set (with a little tweaking as per your manual). If not, then you're into possibly assigning specific IP addresses to your machines and getting them to communicate peer to peer, using a firewall to filter out unwanted surfers. Should be do-able.

Patrick wrote:
    Yes I've seen that and was considering it also. It's a pity it has no reviews though. Will that definately work with with Esat BT?

I can't say that it works with ESAT BT specifically, but I cannot think of a reason that it wouldn't. The blurb on the site claims it works with ADSL, Ziycon provided the settings you need to get up and running.

I did this a couple of years ago witha Belkin Modem/wireless jobby I got from Argos. Worked a treat right out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

dancin wrote:
    Depends.

Assuming you are running windows XP, then there is an Internet connection sharing wizard available on XP which lets you do what you describe. It creates a bridge between the ADSL Modem (one Network Device) and the wireless PCI card (another network device) and routes traffic between the two.

Interesting par is whether you can get your wireless card to act as a Gateway : If you can, then you're set (with a little tweaking as per your manual). If not, then you're into possibly assigning specific IP addresses to your machines and getting them to communicate peer to peer, using a firewall to filter out unwanted surfers. Should be do-able.
    Thanks, sounds like what I need, I may give it a shot later.
    I got a Wi-Fi card with my mobo but I've never used it yet. :)

Advertisement