Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on a povisional

Options
  • 01-01-2006 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Just lookin for peoples opinions on driving on a provisional, im getting my first car soon and and I am on my first provisional. Now I know im only supposed to drive if I have a passanger with a full licence, this is not practical as I assume I will need a lot of practice to pass my test. Is this rule enforced also if I have an accident and im on my own am i screwed with insurance or will they still cover? Also hoping to be able to drive up and down to dublin how long do people think i should be driving before I take on that trip, I live in Limerick...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

evrybody does it. ITs a stupid system and hence the guards dont really enforce it. I got pulled for speeding when i had a provisional and was 17 ( had no full licence driver and no L plates) and not a word was said , same was the case at checkpoints.
    as for insurnace , im not sure - as ive never had to find out.
    Ive a full now but some of my freinds are still drivin around on provs. and they havent encountered any prolems.
    Id say you should be fine!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Arathorn wrote:
    Just lookin for peoples opinions on driving on a provisional, im getting my first car soon and and I am on my first provisional. Now I know im only supposed to drive if I have a passanger with a full licence, this is not practical as I assume I will need a lot of practice to pass my test. Is this rule enforced also if I have an accident and im on my own am i screwed with insurance or will they still cover? Also hoping to be able to drive up and down to dublin how long do people think i should be driving before I take on that trip, I live in Limerick...

The rule is not generally enforced and I imagine the vast majority of holders of first and third provisional licences are not accompanied. (The passenger is required to have a full licence in the SAME category i.e. B not just any full licence).

It's difficult to give advice about driving without knowing how competent you are and your knowledge of the rules of the road. If you are going to Dublin you cannot legally use motorways so you will have to find alternative routes via Portlaoise, Kildare Town etc.

Re Insurance - I'm not aware of anyone's insurance being made null and void because they have not been accompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you should at least get a good few lessons. and have someone with you for a while,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

The only time you'll realy have a problem with the no L-plates or having no full licence driver with you (normal roads) is if your stoped for some other offence and get smart about it with the garda. On thew other hand,on the motor ways you have the Traffic lads to deal with and there notorious even in the job as being utter ***** so you might have a hadder time with them but if your driving is fine you should have no reason to stand out.
    What I would say to you is have a set of L-plates with you in case you do get stoped and give some excuse as to why there not up without being cheaky.

The only time you'll realy have a problem with the no L-plates or having no full licence driver with you (normal roads) is if your stoped for some other offence and get smart about it with the garda. On thew other hand,on the motor ways you have the Traffic lads to deal with and there notorious even in the job as being utter ***** so you might have a hadder time with them but if your driving is fine you should have no reason to stand out.
    What I would say to you is have a set of L-plates with you in case you do get stoped and give some excuse as to why there not up without being cheaky.

I don't think he/she said they would'nt be displaying 'L' plates. It's a lot easier to have these than having a passenger on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Ya I dont think I would drive without L plates if only so other drivers cut you some slack, also I would be avoiding the motorways as much as possible going up and down to dublin. I really do think its a **** system though, they should have some sort o basic skills test that allows you to dive by yourself. Some people are on a second provisional without ever driving a day after only getting their first to use as ID etc, doesnt make sense.

Arathorn wrote:
    Some people are on a second provisional without ever driving a day after only getting their first to use as ID etc, doesnt make sense.

Yes but are making things awkward for themselves as they will not be able to get a third unless they do a driving test first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

well if your not using the motorways then use the plates.and you can always say your going to pick up ur mate who is a full licence driver if your stopped.

Im not driving just yet but will be in the next 2 months and it will be mainly driving between dub tipp and offaly and i wont be using L-plates coz you stand out to the traffic lads and as i said,there *****. Thats why I was saying about having a set with you just not displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Ok fair enuff Spit I will keep it in mind for when I start going up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The insurance will cover the other person, but not you.

Driving long distances when your on your first provisional (alone?) sounds like a recipe for disaster. Book yourself as many lessons as you can and make an appointment for a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just to check - you can drive on your own on a second provisional, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bluewolf wrote:
    Just to check - you can drive on your own on a second provisional, yeah?
    yes, but not your first or third as far as i know

*EDIT* fixed type-o

Cremo wrote:
    yes, but not your second or third as far as i know

Eh I can but I can't? Which is it...?
    I asked about a 2nd...

Cremo wrote:
    yes, but not your second or third as far as i know

In category B you must be accompanied on 1st,3rd and subsequent provisional licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Arathorn wrote:
    Ya I dont think I would drive without L plates if only so other drivers cut you some slack,

From my experience, a lot of drivers believe they can intimidate drivers with L plates. Be prepared to be beeped at if you hesitate even slightly at a junction.

You should be fine driving unaccompanied, even if its not ideal. Be sure to get plenty of lessons from an instructor as well-meaning family and friends may pass on their bad habits.

I'd be interested to know if your insurance would be invalidated by not being accompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry that was a type-o.

as litcagral corrected me, you have to have a full licenced driver (or the same catagory) with you for your first and third provisionals.

micmclo wrote:

I'd be interested to know if your insurance would be invalidated by not being accompanied.

I doubt it as there are lots of middleaged people driving around on their umteenth provisional, yet you never hear about insurance being invalidated.

Excellent.
    Now I just have to apply for my 2nd prov, and I'm off...*wonders where that confirmation of exam taken form went...*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just asking cos afaik in Northern Ireland, they have a provisional licence so you can practice for your test. However, driving unaccompanied is taken extremely seriously and I was told you wouldn't be covered in an accident.

System here in the Republic seems very lax since its not enforced. People in Belfast laughed when I said you could apply for a prov driving licence and it would be posted out to you.(This was before the theory test). You could then drive with little fear since the law is not enforced.

Doubt anywhere else in the EU has a system such as this. Maybe a factor in the high number of road deaths.

Not a rant, I drove unaccompanied as did everyone I know in my area until I passed my test.

Good luck to the op.

micmclo wrote:
    Just asking cos afaik in Northern Ireland, they have a provisional licence so you can practice for your test. However, driving unaccompanied is taken extremely seriously and I was told you wouldn't be covered in an accident.

System here in the Republic seems very lax since its not enforced. People in Belfast laughed when I said you could apply for a prov driving licence and it would be posted out to you.(This was before the theory test). You could then drive with little fear since the law is not enforced.

Doubt anywhere else in the EU has a system such as this. Maybe a factor in the high number of road deaths.

Not a rant, I drove unaccompanied as did everyone I know in my area until I passed my test.

Good luck to the op.

Yes and display 'R' plates for one year after passing the test and AFAIK are subjected to lower speed limit during that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i drive every week from monaghan to dublin and back again, im on my 1st provisional. i take the motorways when i have to, to portlaoise and kinnegad cos i dont know any other ways, and a detour leads me onto a motorway for kinnegad. i was pulled over by a garda before in dublin, and he asked where my full licensed driver was... i said they were out and i had to get to college.. if i waited for a full license driver to go places with me id never get anywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Misticles wrote:
    if i waited for a full license driver to go places with me id never get anywhere.
    Hassel your local TD, otherwise nothing will be done about the waiting times.

Up north it's 45mph for a year on R plates. AFAIK you aren't allowed use motorways either.
    Down here they had an amnesty back in '79 and since then there has been a lot of hot air including the latest noises about it. But until the waiting times come down it's just hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any word on when these new testers are coming online ? , the wait times seem to be as long as ever...and so therefore the less safe our roads are as L drivers have a reasonably valid excuse (imho) not to have a second driver with them all the time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Well according to my insurance (I'm with Hibernian) I'll be fully covered even if I have an accident on my own i.e no fully qualified driver with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Im not driving just yet but will be in the next 2 months and it will be mainly driving between dub tipp and offaly and i wont be using L-plates coz you stand out to the traffic lads

People like you are the reason I have to pay €2,000 a year to insure a car with brake discs bigger than the wheels on a lot of cars on the road, 5 years no claims and a full licence since I was 19.

You haven't even sat behind the wheel of a car and you have that attitude.

Believe me, L plates aren't the only thing that will make your lack of skill obvious to other drivers, the way you drive will do it all for you.

How do the government plan to stop 399 people being killed on the roads in 2006 when someone like the above can drive a car around the country???

Big Balls wrote:
    People like you are the reason I have to pay €2,000 a year to insure a car with brake discs bigger than the wheels on a lot of cars on the road, 5 years no claims and a full licence since I was 19.

Believe me, L plates aren't the only thing that will make your lack of skill obvious to other drivers, the way you drive will do it all for you.

How do the government plan to stop 399 people being killed on the roads in 2006 when someone like the above can drive a car around the country???

I do drive alone on my first provisional a lot of the time simply because its not practical to have someone in the car with me always.
    However posts like yours above set me to thinking, what would I do if there was no or short waiting list and the Garda enforced it?

The answer is simple, the money i'd save as a full licensed driver on my insurance would make it worth my while to get twice the amount of lessons from a qualified driving instructor and be really ready to go out on the road safely and pass my test first time...a win win situation for everyone on the road I'd have thought.

I get my license faster, i'm a better driver - your premiums drop, the roads are not full of people that have had bugger all driving lessons and less sense of how to actually drive properly on the public highway.

The insanely long waiting list for taking the test is a Bad_Thing , for everyone on the road not only the L drivers.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Longfield wrote:
    The insanely long waiting list for taking the test is a Bad_Thing , for everyone on the road not only the L drivers.

I'm glad you took what I said in a positive way. I shouldn't be paying that much for insurance and you/any new driver shouldn't be let loose without some experience.

Send a letter from a company, I got my test in 2 weeks doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I do drive alone on my first provisional a lot of the time simply because its not practical to have someone in the car with me always.
    We keep getting this one trotted out every time this discussion comes up. Why? I, like many other people here learned to drive within the rules, so why can't you? If you can't get someone to accompany you you just don't drive, simple. Get a bus, a lift, hop on a bicycle, walk or just stay at home, that's what everyone else in the world does in your situation. The long waiting times for tests are an annoyance, I grant you, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to just ignore the law just because it suits you.

When you're driving on your own, and you do something stupid, which you inevitable will, who pulls you up on that and points out what you've done wrong? Driving is about much, much more than the mere mechanicals of changing gear, steering, braking etc.

Alun wrote:
    We keep getting this one trotted out every time this discussion comes up. Why? I, like many other people here learned to drive within the rules, so why can't you? If you can't get someone to accompany you you just don't drive, simple. Get a bus, a lift, hop on a bicycle, walk or just stay at home, that's what everyone else in the world does in your situation. The long waiting times for tests are an annoyance, I grant you, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to just ignore the law just because it suits you.

When you're driving on your own, and you do something stupid, which you inevitable will, who pulls you up on that and points out what you've done wrong? Driving is about much, much more than the mere mechanicals of changing gear, steering, braking etc.

Knew a high horseman was about to arrive!!

Why ??, because on public transport it takes me 2 hours each way to get into work..by car its 20 minutes.
    If the test wait times were short..then I WOULD get more lessons and definately by now have a full license...and your premiums would be smaller..and less people would die on the roads every year annualy.

Now tell me..whats the simple fix here??...read above..off your horse now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Big Balls wrote:

its sounds like your placing the blame on our shoulders for such a high death rate on the roads and your high insurance. its people who drink, take drugs and drive, speeders and irresponsible drivers who cause such a high toll not us specifically!
    as for the government, they should be far more strict with the placing of their cameras!

i like many others have applied for my test months ago and still waiting! be realistic theres not always a driver there when you want to go somewhere! the waiting list is terrible.. i applied for my test in monaghan, it was a shorter waiting list than dublin. the west has a very short list. and public transport, they are more often than not packed to the brim, and late.

Advertisement