Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check transferred data - BT?

• 01-01-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been answered before but I could not find any thread mentioning it. How can I check how much I have downloaded to see where I stand in relation to the monthly CAP. I am with BT for the last month or so and am new to broadband.
    Thanks...Tonio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Will a Mod please sticky these answers???
    Edit

Please read the Broadband FAQ pinned at the top of every page in the Broadband forum!!!!
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=246317

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Tonio

kaizersoze wrote:
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't think that is strictly correct. I signed up to BT and when I put in my user/password picked at signup it does not accept it.

Has anyone done a self install of BT?? I changed my password via the web, does that matter? There is no ADSL light on the modem (even though I asked BT not to ship one, they did).

Anyway - how do I get the password?? I just want to confirm that they have the password/username I have. Tried emailing them, ringing them (queue said someone would ring me back and they didn't).

I would really like to get this set up, but I still have irish broadband connected in the house, the plan was to get away from IBB, but it looks like BT are even worse for customer care. As far as I'm concerned BT doesn't work.

bubby wrote:
    I don't think that is strictly correct. I signed up to BT and when I put in my user/password picked at signup it does not accept it.

Has anyone done a self install of BT?? I changed my password via the web, does that matter? There is no ADSL light on the modem (even though I asked BT not to ship one, they did).

Anyway - how do I get the password?? I just want to confirm that they have the password/username I have. Tried emailing them, ringing them (queue said someone would ring me back and they didn't).

I would really like to get this set up, but I still have irish broadband connected in the house, the plan was to get away from IBB, but it looks like BT are even worse for customer care. As far as I'm concerned BT doesn't work.
    Logging in with your BB username/password is correct. If it doesn't work there's something else wrong. Remember your username is only the part before "@BTBB". If you include that it won't work.
    Also remember your BB username/password may be different to the ones you use to log into the BT website to view your account.
    If you are not getting a DSL light on the modem it can be either:
    1. It's not setup correctly at your end. If you have 2 phonelines make sure it's connected to the one thats BB enabled.
    2. It's not fully setup at the exchange.
    Try ringing sale on 1800923924 rather than 1904. It generally gets answered quicker, or tech support on 1800924924.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Just like to point out that the Tech Support number is 1890 923 111

Tech Pete wrote:
    Just like to point out that the Tech Support number is 1890 923 111
    Sorry, your right. I gave the corporate tech support number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Ok whats the story: we have broadband on BT here but I just checked the usage for this month and everything shows 0.00, even tho we have been doing a small bit of downloading. I know there's a delay for the data to show (24 hour delay, at midnight), but its the 3rd of the month already. This happened before where the counter froze at 0.00 for an entire month, we had no idea how much we were downloading.

I have bandwidth monitor software (amount uploaded and downloaded) installed on my own laptop, but there are 5 or 6 other laptops connected to the same network at various times, it'd be a nightmare installing and setting up the software on all those too (and adding up the totals would be major hassle). How am I supposed to check when we're close to the cap? And I don't fancy calling customer support as BT make it really, really difficult to get through...

Still, if I called and complained, would they fix it for this month? I don't want to go over the cap, but at the same time I don't want to tell everyone on the network to stop downloading large files for the month..

Rant over... ;-)

Dave

ps last login is shown as 30 December; I'm pretty sure the modem has logged in a few times since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

kaizersoze wrote:
    Logging in with your BB username/password is correct. If it doesn't work there's something else wrong. Remember your username is only the part before "@BTBB". If you include that it won't work.
    Also remember your BB username/password may be different to the ones you use to log into the BT website to view your account.
    If you are not getting a DSL light on the modem it can be either:
    1. It's not setup correctly at your end. If you have 2 phonelines make sure it's connected to the one thats BB enabled.
    2. It's not fully setup at the exchange.
    Try ringing sale on 1800923924 rather than 1904. It generally gets answered quicker, or tech support on 1800924924.

Hi,
    Someone called me back eventually and my broadband username/password was different from the website one. Thing was, when I got the confirmation email it aid "Hi ho, welcome to BT. Your BT username is <BIGBLANK> your password is <ANOTHERBIGBLANK>, so I presumed it was the website ones.

I'll give it a shot again at the weekend.

Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it, and apologies for the rant. I am an IBB user but really want to move to BT (cheaper and hopefully more reliable).

B

My last login, when I checked it yesterday, was the 22nd of September!!!!

I must have fallen through a crack or something...but couldnt give a damn as for the last couple of months I have been downloading mabye 1GB or 2GB of my 24GB CAP...so Christmass was payback at ~50GB(multiple computers...etc!).

Let them have a couple of days to fix the problem but you might end up like me and be completely forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

zuma wrote:
    Let them have a couple of days to fix the problem but you might end up like me and be completely forgotten about.

Unless you tell them they wont know its broken.

Tech Pete wrote:
    Unless you tell them they wont know its broken.

And as I only know about my downloads through their online stats page...why should I be held responsible if I break the CAP.

:D :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Surely they give you a warning email as you approach the cap?? I've just switched from UTV and with UTV you can set your account to disconnect when you reach your cap so that you never go over. you also get 2 warning emails as you approach your cap. Surely they can't just charge you for going over your cap without warning? Also I was never told anything about the stats page so as far as i'm concerned i have no way of knowing if I have gone over my cap. From a legal point of view I seriously doubt they can get away with charging me.

Gegerty wrote:
    Surely they give you a warning email as you approach the cap?? I've just switched from UTV and with UTV you can set your account to disconnect when you reach your cap so that you never go over. you also get 2 warning emails as you approach your cap. Surely they can't just charge you for going over your cap without warning? Also I was never told anything about the stats page so as far as i'm concerned i have no way of knowing if I have gone over my cap. From a legal point of view I seriously doubt they can get away with charging me.

We are talking about BT BB here and not UTV.

The stats page can be easily accessed by using the knowlege database on BT's website.
    Not being told about it is one thing...but Im pretty sure you agreed to BT's t&c's when you signed up to their service.

BT have to the best of my knowledge never charged anyone for overdownloading so please....relax.

zuma wrote:
    We are talking about BT BB here and not UTV.

The stats page can be easily accessed by using the knowlege database on BT's website.
    Not being told about it is one thing...but Im pretty sure you agreed to BT's t&c's when you signed up to their service.

BT have to the best of my knowledge never charged anyone for overdownloading so please....relax.

Yea I was just pointing out how UTV do it and it seems very fair the way they do it.

My cousin gets charged everytime for going over the limit (BT). I'm not sure how blatently he abuses the limit but last i talked to him about it he was pissed off that he got a hefty bill before christmas and wasn't expecting it. By the looks of it he's very unlucky and is in a minority.

Read the T&C's is not a valid argument. They have to be fair and if there's a web page that displays your stats you should be told about it.

Gegerty wrote:
    Read the T&C's is not a valid argument. They have to be fair and if there's a web page that displays your stats you should be told about it.

Thats a very childish argument above as you are party to a legal agreement once you signed up for it and it was up to you to get all the details about the service you can.

You can easly get the info:

http://www.btireland.ie/help
    Straight away at number 3:
    3 Broadband - Usage Check
    Broadband - Usage Check

You can check you Broadband usage at http://broadband.iol.ie/usage.

You can login to the site using your Broadband username and password.

The usage is displayed up to midnight of the previous day.
    A redirect windows then pops up pointing here:

You then enter your username/password and bam:
    usagestats1tp.jpg
    I love being ignored by BT!!!

zuma wrote:

You can easly get the info:

http://www.btireland.ie/help
    Straight away at number 3:
    3 Broadband - Usage Check

Yea so logon to the internet and check the T&C's?? That makes sense when you don't have broadband doesn't it. They need to send you all necessary information.

Lets stick in the terms and conditions that when you sign up to BT you have to hand over your house. Oh and to really make sure that we get everyones house lets not send them the T&C's and make it so they have to go get it and tough tits if they don't.

I'm exagerrating the point but you know what I'm saying so I'm not going to argue.

Gegerty wrote:
    Yea so logon to the internet and check the T&C's?? That makes sense when you don't have broadband doesn't it. They need to send you all necessary information.

Lets stick in the terms and conditions that when you sign up to BT you have to hand over your house. Oh and to really make sure that we get everyones house lets not send them the T&C's and make it so they have to go get it and tough tits if they don't.

I'm exagerrating the point but you know what I'm saying so I'm not going to argue.

Why did I even bother trying to explain...oh BTW there are other means of accessing the internet other than BB.
    Im also not a BT spokesman, so come on, grow up!

Edited: posted in error.

zuma wrote:
    Why did I even bother trying to explain...oh BTW there are other means of accessing the internet other than BB.
    Im also not a BT spokesman, so come on, grow up!

Drop the condescending attitude Zuma you know nothing about me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

gergerty, stop talking rubbish, you're a customer of theirs and if you break the terms and conditions of the service you're using then of course they're allowed charge you.

they don't have to be fair at all, you agree to them if you become a customer so if you break them, and they decide to charge you like they say they will, it's your own tough luck.

gergerty, stop talking rubbish, you're a customer of theirs and if you break the terms and conditions of the service you're using then of course they're allowed charge you.

they don't have to be fair at all, you agree to them if you become a customer so if you break them, and they decide to charge you like they say they will, it's your own tough luck.

There's a thing called consumer rights and they DO have to let you know when you've gone over the limit there's nothing rubbish about what I'm saying and in fact I'm talking from experience with another provider.

what consumer right is that then?

Please ignore "Gegerty"...its easier for me to do so anyway!

what consumer right is that then?

OK guys you go pay your extra charges. I offered a bit of advice based on experience, I stood up for myself and it worked. Anyone out there who thinks they are unfairly charged should do the same. It's this "bend over and take it up the ass" attitude that is to blame for the appalling broadband services in this country.

Zuma: who is it who needs to grow up?

why would i get charged? i don't go over any cap, and even if i did, i'm perfectly entitled to get charged as that was a condition of the contract i entered into.

again:

what customer right do you have that requires them to inform you that you have broken your cap?
    perhaps you'd also like to show me somewhere in the terms and conditions where they state that they are required to inform you of breaking your limit.

until then, i'll choose to believe you're completely wrong, based on the continuing ignorance and misinformation you've presented in this thread thus far.

why would i get charged? i don't go over any cap, and even if i did, i'm perfectly entitled to get charged as that was a condition of the contract i entered into.

again:

what customer right do you have that requires them to inform you that you have broken your cap?
    perhaps you'd also like to show me somewhere in the terms and conditions where they state that they are required to inform you of breaking your limit.

until then, i'll choose to believe you're completely wrong, based on the continuing ignorance and misinformation you've presented in this thread thus far.

Terms and conditions are not the be all and end all. It is a regulated industry they can't just make up their own rules and thats that, no arguments. I once signed a contract that said I could be let go with no notice, no warning and no reason. Thing is they could put what they want in the contract and tell me sign it or no job but at the end of the day nobody can get fired without notice or warning or reason no matter what they sign.

back to my point, nobosy can get charged for something and thats that end of story pay up. consumer rights are outside of any terms and conditions. As I said I'm talking about my own experience. Who are you to tell everyone I'm making it all up? Do I know you?

I went over the limit in my 1st month with UTV. Their attitude was exactly the same as yours, tough luck you should have checked your bandwidth. Thing is this was the 1st I'd heard of being able to check my bandwidth and when i did check my bandwidth its starting date was before I had even applied for broadband. The insisted I had no argument and that I was given a warning email, again 1st I'd heard of warning emails. Needless to say in the end they dropped the charges on the basis that I had not been given warning of my approaching cap infringement.

The BT broadband stats are blatantly wrong and if people pay up based on those stats then you're a fool. I'm guessing the reason they rearely enforce their caps is because they know damn well they'll have a tough job enforcing it with their current system.

On the otherhand I agree with you totally, if you know damn well you went over the limit then why argue. But for many people it comes as a surprise and the stats just don't add up. Just cause BT's stats say so it's not case closed. Stick up for yourselves is all I'm saying. I'm not showing any ignorance here ghostrider I'm simply sharing my experiences. you need to relax the kaks.

Advertisement