Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad drainage

Options
  • 01-01-2006 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

Hi, we have prepared trial holes for a percolation test but this particular area on our site does not seem to be draining at all. I have followed it for a week. I do not want this to be a setback during the planning process so I am applying for permission without it. Would anyone have any ideas on how to help this in case we are asked for this later? Many thanks

PS- we have a guy booked and are waiting for him to carry out the test but we cannot accept a fail whatsoever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Even if the percolation test shows that the percolation time is excessive it should be possible to import material for a "polishing filter" layer and the tester should be a ble to advise on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 quattfa3

Submitting an assessment of an "improved" site is not an option.

From what you say: There is no chance that treated effluent can reach groundwater. There is a low probability that the effluent can be treated by the subsoil.

If you plough ahead you will be faced with ponding of untreated hazardous waste.

The reason for the site suitability tests are twofold.
    1. Will the effluent be treated.
    2. Will the treated effluent be able to get away.

Testing for site suitability is not exclusively governed by permeability results.

Let the assessor assess the site "as is", if the circumstances permit, the assessor may declare the site as suitable for an alternative to a conventional septic tank system.

You might be able to construct a percolation area, as advised before, and apply for a discharge to surface water.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

We had a similar situation last year and we finally got our planning.

My engineer brought in a EPA certified guy to access the soil and site. He proposed at first that we extend our application , carry out drainage works on the proposed percolation area. We did this and he carried out further tests. He then proposed that we use a treatment system (BnM Puraflo) along with a raised polishing filter.

If you get the right guy in you shouldn't have any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

We also got an EPA certified guy in to do the tests. He take's sample of the soil etc.

Bascially he outlines what system is suitable on your site, at what height, and what improvements to the percolation area etc. You submit based on those results and it won't really be questioned. They have the same certification as the council engineers anyway (so if you have someone with the FAS/EPA qualification unlikely to be queried). Probably won't be a traditional septic tank though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

They have the same certification

As far as I am aware only one of the planning guys in Galway Co.Co have the certification so in our case the planner probably had to refer back to him as he didn't handle our application.

My advice is get it done right first time around , our engineer spend alot of time b****xing about last year ( In fairness in wasn't certified either)it was our third application which was successful in the end. We had hoped to be in the house by now yet we're only in the 6 week period right now.

Hope all works out well .

• Advertisement
Advertisement