Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can't send or receive text messages

• 01-01-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Since yesterday, I've noticed I can't send or receive text messages. The phone is a Nokia 6170, and I'm on vodafone prepaid. I noticed only at first that I couldn't send any - I get a "check operator services" messages. Then after a New Years Eve without receiving any messages, and a number of people telling me they had sent messages and my not getting them, I realise I'm not receiving any either. I am in credit, and can make calls OK. I checked the vodafone website, and checked the message centre number was correct, and it is. The only advice they give if you can't receive messages is to ensure your inbox isn't full, and mine isn't.

Anyone have any clue as to what might have happened or what I can do..? It's been working fine up until this point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, I wouldn't be surprised at all with delays in the network last night...

Have you tried switching the phone off for a few seconds and switching it on again? Usually works for me when I have trouble...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Thanks for the reply! Tried that, but no joy. It had actually been off for a while yesterday, when I charged it (I had trouble before I started charging it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Re-seat the battery and SIM card.
    Failing that, download the operator settings.

To be honest, it's more likely to the network. Does anyone else in the house have a yodafone connection? Any issues?
    Contact vodafone tomorrow if it's still a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Why don't people ring the relevant companies customer service with these issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have been having problems sending and recieving texts recently also. Im a ball pay customer on vodafone and i was on the phone to them for nearly an hour on thursday and at the end of it, they said to make a record of all the dates and times im having problems and ring them back!

Im having the problems intermitingly, like last wednesday one of my mates was taking me and i was getting her messages straight away and replying, but at the same time another mate was trying to send me messages and couldnt send them

• Advertisement

buddy wrote:
    Why don't people ring the relevant companies customer service with these issues?

I'll be honest, I'm assuming their customer care doesn't work 24 hours, let alone on New Years. I'll contact them tomorrow if I can't fix it in the meantime.
    Karoma wrote:
    Re-seat the battery and SIM card.
    Failing that, download the operator settings.

Cheers - I tried reseating the battery and sim card, but to no avail. I'll look into operator settings now, though I'm not totally sure how that works (?)

I should note, the sim card is fairly old now - the network logo shows up as "Eircell" for example - but I've been using it for months now with this phone without difficulty (and again, I can still make and receive calls).

edit - tried downloading the operator settings, but of course, i don't receive the text messages..

I'd like to think it's not just my phone, but others who have reported difficulty for New Years seem to be getting some service, even if delayed or intermittant, whereas I have had no text messaging now since yesterday (daytime).

Thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

I was onto Vodafone RTG care today. Had a problem with MMS and Vodafone live. Sorted quickly thankfully. AFAIK they are there til 10 so I guess you'll have to wait til tomorrow now.

Well, I called them, they saw the problem in some settings, and changed them on their end and asked me to turn on and off my phone. They kind of shooed me off the line then. I've since turned it on and off, and tried again, but now I get "Number not in use" messages any time I try to send a text, and I haven't received any of the texts I know were sent to me :rolleyes: Guess I'll be calling them back again..

Advertisement