Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Jan 2nd Premiership thread (then rest)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

wow! what a goal! Garcia 2-2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Garcia 2-2

Be nice to hold onto this now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

You beauty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

cisee on for sissoko, going for the win - i like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

class goal. we need to win this, cisse to score winning goal.

Cisse goes close with a header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Barcodes 1-2 Boro

Sourness' swansong?

Barcodes 1-2 Boro

Sourness' swansong?

wouldnt be surprised!! but who can they replace him with? and it will prob mean giving the new guy money to spend in jan, do they have enough of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

2-2 newcastle

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote:
    wouldnt be surprised!! but who can they replace him with? and it will prob mean giving the new guy money to spend in jan, do they have enough of it?

Hang on, 2-2 now, he might last a few more games (hopefully)...:D

then again maybe not?

2-2 lee clark just scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the run had to end at some point, I guess Pool fans can just be thankfull its a draw not a loss.

Mike.

We normally lose at the reebok so cant complain.

Yup, a hard earned point.

but it was too defensive slip ups that cost us, hopefully not back to old ways!!! think hyypia needs a rest soon, hopefully he will get that in the 2nd half of the season with new faces coming in

Bolton not an easy place to visit, so a 2-2 draw ain't bad for Liverpool.

Wigan lose again, thats 7 defeats in 10...lucky they did so well at the start of the season...Brum with a much needed win...

Fulham beat Sunderland, wonder is Mick's arse in the bacon slicer yet.

Good win for Everton, and don't be surprised if the knives come out for Curbishley.

Barcodes snatch a draw at home to Boro, Sourness should hang on a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Phew, that was nerve wrecking. Would have been nice to win it but 1 point is better than the zero the pool got at the reebok last year I s'pose.

There was a notion doing the rounds that McCarthy might get replaced by Keegan but I son't see that!

Mike.

• Advertisement

they were talking bout that on jimmy hills programme yesterday, but as someone mentioned keegan needs a huge warchest to do rescue them, as much as i hate mccarthy he will get sunderland back up in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

yup have to agree, a hard earned point. Overall a very good christmas campain, best liverpool team in years, great to see em doing so well.

Call_me_al wrote:
    they were talking bout that on jimmy hills programme yesterday, but as someone mentioned keegan needs a huge warchest to do rescue them, as much as i hate mccarthy he will get sunderland back up in 2007

Common sense would suggest that sacking him now would be pointless, unless Sunderland are bought by a Russian billionaire there's no signings they could make to save their season. Whether Mick's the man to take them back up (to stay) I don't know. I think McCarthy is like Dave Bassett, Championship standard and not much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Call_me_al wrote:
    but it was too defensive slip ups that cost us, hopefully not back to old ways!!! think hyypia needs a rest soon, hopefully he will get that in the 2nd half of the season with new faces coming in
    No prem games now till 14th so he has a chance to rest..I wanna see the big man line out at Anfield on the 14th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Blackburn vs. Pompey at half 7, the day of football is just beginning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Call_me_al wrote:

very suprised. i think keegan going back to manage newcastle is a much more realistic possibility.

• Advertisement

Two great free kicks at Ewood Park so far.

Just watch Pedersen. The man is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Come on MGP!!!!

We've got the biggest Dickov in the world!

Pest scores, 2-1.

another good result for blackburn tonight, gives them 3 wins out of 3 for the christmas period, excellent run for them and we're up to 8th now! :)

• Advertisement

another good result for blackburn tonight, gives them 3 wins out of 3 for the christmas period, excellent run for them and we're up to 8th now! :)

Yep, we're only seven points off Champions League, and ten off survival. Was a bit touch and go at the end there.

Steven Reid had a great game though, hopefully he'll get a run in the Ireland team under the new manager.

Cough! Listen if you lot finish ahead of Bolton that'll please me! Seriously though Blackburn seem to be a much more effective footballing side this season.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Cough! Listen if you lot finish ahead of Bolton that'll please me! Seriously though Blackburn seem to be a much more effective footballing side this season.

Mike.

Glad to hear you think so. We've Bolton in our next game at Ewood, so hopefully we can continue the good form.

Pompey were lucky not to have Diao sent off too. Watching the match tonight, I wasn't sure which team is known as Blackeye Rovers. Bentley certainly seemed to be on the receiving end of a few tough tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Call_me_al wrote:
    as much as i hate mccarthy he will get sunderland back up in 2007

And back down in 2008 :D

Watching motd. Rafa said he wasnt happy with a draw. Seriously whats going on in his head, HE PICKED THE POXY TEAM!!! he has some mental back when it comes to Traore, they were looking at 4 balls over the top from Bolton. The defence steps up brilliantly,all bar poxy Traore standing a yard or two behind the rest of them like the donkey he is. #He is a waste of space who instills panic in the rest of the defence.

Yeah hes either out of position or playing somebody onside. And whats worse, hes rubbish in the air! :D

it's so funny watchign playing trying to be hard when they clearly arnt. fletcher tackled lampard and then said somethign to him when they were getting up so lampard walked towards him going what did you say" while pushing players out of the way who were trying to intervene. fletcher kept running away till the ref came over , when he then moves forward so the ref is between him and lampard,,, and he's giving it all the hold me back hold me back.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah lampard is one tough cookie . . . .

mayordenis wrote:
    yeah lampard is one tough cookie . . . .

Well that just makes fletcher even more of a tit then doesnt it.

I think Liverpool were lucky to get the draw.

Nolan had a very good penalty claim.

Sissoko was lucky not to get sent off for his stamp on that other schmuk bag.

Traore played Stelios onside, when he was one-on-one with the keeper.

I'm happy with the 10 pts from the 4 games Liverpool got over the xmas period.

Lex Luthor wrote:

Sissoko was lucky not to get sent off for his stamp on that other scum bag.

Whatever your opinion of Diouf, I don't think its fair to label him a scumbag. His time at Liverpool didn't work out but he seems to be doing well at Bolton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Lex Luthor wrote:

Sissoko was lucky not to get sent off for his stamp on that other scum bag.

Read the charter, your not allowed to use the word scum in reference to anybody on here.

Lemlin wrote:
    Whatever your opinion of Diouf, I don't think its fair to label him a scumbag. His time at Liverpool didn't work out but he seems to be doing well at Bolton.

While your not allowed to call anyone a scumbag, it's rarely as applicable to anyone else. He didnt just spit at someone while at Liverpool he has done it a few times. I would regard spitting at someone as the lowest form of abuse. Dont even get me started on his diving.

Stekelly wrote:
    While your not allowed to call anyone a scumbag, it's rarely as applicable to anyone else. He didnt just spit at someone while at Liverpool he has done it a few times. I would regard spitting at someone as the lowest form of abuse. Dont even get me started on his diving.

true, perhaps we should apply for a permission to use a special term, in this case, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

You should all be banned for taking lightly the subject of calling a poor chap a scumbag.

:rolleyes:

Yea, knew this match would be tricky for the 'Pool. I probably would have taken 2-2 before kickoff tbh.

Stekelly wrote:

I witnessed this first hand last year against Blackburn but I still wouldn't refer to him as scum.

Lemlin wrote:
    I witnessed this first hand last year against Blackburn but I still wouldn't refer to him as scum.
    You're right Lemlin, he's not worthy of that name.

I apologise for my use of the 4 letter word....post has been re-edited.

Haven't changed my opinion of Diouf though....

Sissoko better watch himself, because he's gonna be targeted from now on in.

The run of wins for Liverpool was gonna come to an end at some stage...better it came now to a strong team away from home and getting a draw. Bolton afaik, have only conceded 2 goals at home all season before this game, so it was a good result. Not many teams will walk away from the Reebok this season with a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, Liverpool's run comes to an end. Perhaps due in this case playing into the hands of the opposition, by changing the way that the team has been playing recently, and by not creating anywhere near the number of chances that are normally created in recent matches.

This was a different Liverpool team. On paper it looked like a 4-4-2, with:

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Traore
    Gerrard - Sissoko - Hamann - Kewell
    --- Pongolle -- Crouch ----

But in practice, the team did not play 4-4-2 but moved around, with Pongolle switching sides, Gerrard playing in the centre at times but also on the left, as well as Kewell on the right(!) at times and in the centre. It was a real mess as we had on occasion this 4-3-3:

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Traore
    Sissoko - Hamann -- Gerrard
    - Pongolle - Kewell - Crouch

Go Figure. Benitez had gone for muscle with Traore and Sissoko, and to some extent Hamann, and left the lighter creative players on the bench, such as Alonso and Garcia and also other players with perhaps more prowess, such as Riise (v Traore) and Cisse (v Pongolle). Sam was happy that Liverpool had adjusted their setup and their game. As it turned out, Bolton were unlucky not to get a penalty or two, and they nearly broke the offside trap several times.

The 1st goal was a real mess by Reina, he dropped the ball with what should have been an easy catch in the 6 yard box. As the ball fell Hyppia was clearing it only for Reina to half block it as he tried to recover and the ball went straight towards the Bolton defender who reflex headed it over the line past a despairing Carragher. A soft goal for Liverpool to give away. I would blame Reina 100% for this goal.

Bolton had as many chances as Liverpool did, in a match that was tight. It was only a matter of time before Benitez changed things around. Liverpool got a penalty, a correct call as O'Brien was just late on Gerrard in the box, but equally Bolton would have had similar shouts earlier in the match. Gerrard scored it, so at 1-1 it looked like it was going to be a sweet comeback for Liverpool, perhaps like Celtic's 2-3 win over Hearts on New Years day.

But Bolton kept at it, trying to spring the gap - a good through ball from midfield by Nolan ended up with a cross into the 6-yard area and Diouf, of all people, scrambled it home in a bundle tackle with keeper and defender. Liverpool's defence should have and could have done better, not only on this occasion but throughout the match. Reina also should have done better for this goal but was not to blame.

So, 2-1 down and the clock was ticking. Liverpool were in the game a but more, and at least the creative aspects of Garcia came through, as he controlled the ball well on his chest giving himself a yard against his marker and got off a good shot from near the edge of the box beating the keeper low and to his near-side.

It ended 2-2 and it was probably a fair result. Liverpool fans will feel that this is not the way they should play, and rightly so. Even after 10 wins they are capable of getting 3 pts at Bolton. But like many people, I'm of the opinion that they were due a bad day at the office at some point.

This "bad day" certainly wasnt helped by Benitez's selection, I dont think. Liverpool dont have a large squad to pick from with Zenden out, but why he would leave off Riisse from such a match and put on Pongolle with Cisse on the bench is unusal. If anything, Cisse has such physical attributes that you would think that he would be ideal for such a game.

Stekelly wrote:
    Rafa said he wasnt happy with a draw. Seriously whats going on in his head, HE PICKED THE POXY TEAM!!! he has some mental back when it comes to Traore, they were looking at 4 balls over the top from Bolton. The defence steps up brilliantly,all bar poxy Traore standing a yard or two behind the rest of them like the donkey he is.

Traore is poor at handling these defensive manoeuvers, thats for sure. But I think playing these types of traps is not a good tactic for Liverpool, as they do not have the pace, apart from Carra to recover back if the trap is sprung. And if you set it so often, its only a matter of time before it is sprung.

At least Liverpool got a point from the match, rather than dropping all 3. And hopefully, Benitez will have learned a lesson .... or two.

Let's just put this one down to experience.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Very critical of the performance there Redspider IMO.
    redspider wrote:
    It ended 2-2 and it was probably a fair result. Liverpool fans will feel that this is not the way they should play, and rightly so. Even after 10 wins they are capable of getting 3 pts at Bolton. But like many people, I'm of the opinion that they were due a bad day at the office at some point.
    While Liverpool may have notched 10 in a row, they were all very winnable games. Bolton away are a hard test for any team. Just look at their record. I don't think Benetiz will be overly disappointed with a point.
    redspider wrote:
    This "bad day" certainly wasnt helped by Benitez's selection, I dont think. Liverpool dont have a large squad to pick from with Zenden out, but why he would leave off Riisse from such a match and put on Pongolle with Cisse on the bench is unusal. If anything, Cisse has such physical attributes that you would think that he would be ideal for such a game.
    Cisse was unfit. Hence him being on the bench.

I'm also certain that if Liverpool played the likes of Garcia, Risse and Alonso and were physically bossed on the pitch you would be criticising the selection. These are the type of games Liverpool were losing last year, the tough physical ones, Benetiz's selection made sure that if anyone was going to be the physical side it was going to be Liverpool. The tactic's paid off, a good point was won, and a victory was just a post away.

Cast your mind back to last year, the scenario I just described happened in this fixture. This year Liverpool did not leave empty handed.

Man City Vs Spurs just getting under way :) anybody lucky enough not to be working, watching this ? :)

• Advertisement

Man City Vs Spurs just getting under way :) anybody lucky enough not to be working, watching this ? :)

Yep, just as boring as last night so far.

Edit: Mido just scored after a mistake by Distin.

Advertisement