Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Jan 2nd Premiership thread (then rest)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lemlin wrote:
    Yep, just as boring as last night so far.

Edit: Mido just scored after a mistake by Distin.

well good, if last ngiht is anything to go by, made a good choice by working tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

well good, if last ngiht is anything to go by, made a good choice by working tonight :)

You did indeed. I think there's been one shot on target this whole game, the goal.

Robbie Keane just scored with a brilliant finish. Long kick-out from Robinson, flick on by Mido and cracking shot from Keano. 81 minutes or so gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I watched the first half and thought it was pretty good. Keane should have scored from inside the box though. Delighted he made up for it in the 2nd half. Good to see he's not demanding the ball like he used to, I knew it could be coached out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

I didn't think much of it either. City look to be only half the team they were at the start of the season.

Spurs didn't even have to get out of first gear to beat them 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Spurs for the Champion's League anybody? They absolutely bossed City off the pitch tonight.
    Gifted the first goal, but it wasn't against the run of play. Lennon still had a lot of work to do after Distin's bad judgement of trying to leave the ball run out of play. Calm finish by Mido. Keane's goal was superb, very hard to control that ball, and brilliant finish...not trying to stir things, but something that keeps running through my mind lately is that I wish he had been this confident throughout Ireland's World Cup campaign, particularly in the latter stages.
    Michael Brown, Mido and Aaron Lennon would probably be my picks for man of the match. Goal and assist for Mido (but went out on a damper with a bit of a knock), assist and overall good performance by Lennon (terrorizing Thatcher) and Michael Brown, who a lot of people would say he was putting himself in the shop window.
    P.s anybody know what happened with Lee Young Po? He was on the receiving end of a nasty challenge by Sommeil off the ball. I saw him stretchered off but I must have been daydreaming because I didn't see anyone coming on for him.

p.p.s. last season it was the two Mersyside teams going for 4th spot, could be the two North London teams this year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've had Spurs penciled in for that spot for a month or two now.

Anyways here the current table

1 Chelsea________21___ 36___58
    2 Man Utd________21___ 23___45
    3 Liverpool_______19____17____41
    4 Tottenham______21____13___40
    5 Arsenal_________20____12___34
    6 Wigan __________21____-1___34
    7 Bolton__________19____5____32
    8 Blackburn_______20____1____30
    9 Man City________21____3____28
    10 West Ham_______21____-3___26
    11 Newcastle_______20____-3___26
    12 Aston Villa_______21____-5___25
    13 Charlton________19____-6____25
    14 Fulham__________21____-5___23
    15 Everton_________21____-17___23
    16 Middlesbrough____20____-5____22
    17 West Brom_______21___-11____19
    18 Portsmouth_______21___-17____17
    19 Birmingham_______20___-14____16
    20 Sunderland_______20___-23_____6

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Spurs for the Champion's League anybody? They absolutely bossed City off the pitch tonight.
    Gifted the first goal, but it wasn't against the run of play. Lennon still had a lot of work to do after Distin's bad judgement of trying to leave the ball run out of play. Calm finish by Mido. Keane's goal was superb, very hard to control that ball, and brilliant finish...not trying to stir things, but something that keeps running through my mind lately is that I wish he had been this confident throughout Ireland's World Cup campaign, particularly in the latter stages.
    Michael Brown, Mido and Aaron Lennon would probably be my picks for man of the match. Goal and assist for Mido (but went out on a damper with a bit of a knock), assist and overall good performance by Lennon (terrorizing Thatcher) and Michael Brown, who a lot of people would say he was putting himself in the shop window.
    P.s anybody know what happened with Lee Young Po? He was on the receiving end of a nasty challenge by Sommeil off the ball. I saw him stretchered off but I must have been daydreaming because I didn't see anyone coming on for him.

p.p.s. last season it was the two Mersyside teams going for 4th spot, could be the two North London teams this year ;)

Pamarot sneaked on for him. I almost missed it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Suupposed to be at the Citeh game but Ryanair f*cked up my flights and "indefinitely delayed" my flight to Manchester yesterday...:mad:

Made do with a few pints in the boozer, happy with the result and with how comfortable we were with it. Lennon looked on fire which is great to see, Browny had a good game as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

^ No mention of Sommeil's horrific "tackle" on Lee, that was an absolute disgrace. Should earn him a nice ban if the FA have any balls about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Watched game last night. Spurs played well, only thing I thought was a joke was that Carrick got MOTM. Ok he played well but the usual crap on Sky they have to give to an English player. Keane was brillant last night, scored, linked up play well. Made a great last ditch block to stop a goal. Made a couple of great defensive tackles. He covered the whole pitch and was a good captain discussing yellow cards with ref and making sure his side where running well.

Tackle on Sommeil was a disgrace but the ref could do nothing because nobody even seen it till the reply. This is prob worse for Sommeil because if it is dealt with in the game then the FA can do nothing. Now they are free to ban him for as long as they want

Any news on Lee? seems like 2-3 weeks its too bad for a tackle like that. Could have been out for season. Will Kelly get a chance now?

I think Kelly is a right back whereas Young-Pyo Lee is a right back. Still may get a chance as cover though.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I think Kelly is a right back whereas Young-Pyo Lee is a right back. Still may get a chance as cover though.

Can you explain this because Im confused:confused:

Both are right back so would be ideal replacement

Woops, meant to say Y-P Lee is a left back! Sorry!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Woops, meant to say Y-P Lee is a left back! Sorry!

Sorry got confused myself because Pamarot is a right back and he came on last night for him. Not sure if they have a direct replacement for Lee. Maybe Stalteri will move over and hopefully Kelly gets into right back.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    ^ No mention of Sommeil's horrific "tackle" on Lee, that was an absolute disgrace. Should earn him a nice ban if the FA have any balls about them.

Agreed. There can be no question of what his intent was, whistle was gone and he done a fellow professional. Should miss three matches for that.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Watched game last night. Spurs played well, only thing I thought was a joke was that Carrick got MOTM.

Michael Brown did a lot of the hard work last night, he was my MOTM. Keane missed two good chances, before he got the goal, may have coloured the judgement of Gray.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Any news on Lee? seems like 2-3 weeks its too bad for a tackle like that. Could have been out for season. Will Kelly get a chance now?

Due for a scan, we'll know more later today I imagine. Staltieri can play LB, and Pamarot filled in there last night, so it would be a chance for Kelly to try and stake a claim on the right. If I'm not mistaken, Kelly has played LB for Spurs in the past.

Thing is, I've heard he's off in this window, with our feeder club the destination.

Thing is, I've heard he's off in this window, with our feeder club the destination.

Forest?

mike65 wrote:
    I've had Spurs penciled in for that spot for a month or two now.

Anyways here the current table

1 Chelsea________21___ 36___58
    2 Man Utd________21___ 23___45
    3 Liverpool_______19____17____41
    4 Tottenham______21____13___40
    5 Arsenal_________20____12___34
    6 Wigan __________21____-1___34
    7 Bolton__________19____5____32
    8 Blackburn_______20____1____30
    9 Man City________21____3____28
    10 West Ham_______21____-3___26
    11 Newcastle_______20____-3___26
    12 Aston Villa_______21____-5___25
    13 Charlton________19____-6____25
    14 Fulham__________21____-5___23
    15 Everton_________21____-17___23
    16 Middlesbrough____20____-5____22
    17 West Brom_______21___-11____19
    18 Portsmouth_______21___-17____17
    19 Birmingham_______20___-14____16
    20 Sunderland_______20___-23_____6

Mike.

If you've offered me Blackburn's position at the start of the season, I'd of snapped your hand off. We're 8th and have played every team above us, bar Spurs, away. We also have yet to play Sunderland even once!

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap

If he was a Blackburn player, it definitely would.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Due for a scan, we'll know more later today I imagine. Staltieri can play LB, and Pamarot filled in there last night, so it would be a chance for Kelly to try and stake a claim. Thing is, I've heard he's off in this window, with our feeder club the destination.

Who are Spurs' feeder club?

If I'm not mistaken, Kelly has played LB for Spurs in the past.

Checked, he's played LB at home to Chelsea, and away to Charlton. IIRC, he was criticised by some of the travelling fans at Charlton for his performance, we shipped two goals that day.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Forest?

West Ham :D aka THFCFC (Tottenham Hotspur Feeder Club FC)

Ah yes, just like Bohs are SFCFC.

Think I read somewhere that Kelly played in all four English league divisions last season.

Fact or fiction?

• Advertisement

Michael Brown did a lot of the hard work last night, he was my MOTM. Keane missed two good chances, before he got the goal, may have coloured the judgement of Gray.

Andy Gray and judgement used in the same sentance? thats a first. Anyway I noticed Brown did some good work shown when Mido ran over to him after Brown had done a great run and won a cornor and gave him a pat on the back. First time I have ever seen that but most of the Spurs players seemed to be urging the rest of the lads on.

See before Mido got a whack on ear and hear the roaring of Robinson telling everyone where to go. He actually told Mido where to stand, spot where he was hit by ball preventing what could have been a goal

Back on MOTM, I knew Keane wouldn't get it because Gray was on, I thought he would give to Lennon but thank God someone told him he didnt do much in first half. Second half was good for the time he was on. Not sure about the two good chance, remember one where be blazed it over but it was a difficult chance but Gray made the excuse because it was Keane he should have scored.

Brown did some good work on the wing but throughout the game Keane was going from one goal to another. Watch the block again he made, right on the leg and I would say it killed him...a stinger but he was back up on feet running back to ball but the look on his face. Remember Mido's face. Scored, passed well, ran the front line well with Mido, running after every flick on, crossing the ball, tacking, getting in blocks

It is the best I have seen keane play in years. If he keeps this up then Defoe will have a hard time replacing him if they keep the Big un little un tactic.

Wonder when Mido limped off was Jol thinking wonder will this keep him out of African Nations but will have him back early for us like Essien at Chelsea. I think thats what him and Jol where joking about on touchline:D

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ah yes, just like Bohs are SFCFC.

Think I read somewhere that Kelly played in all four English league divisions last season.

Fact or fiction?

Think this is fact. Certain I heard this. Was it last season or season before?

What's happening with Defoe now? He didn't even get a run out last night.

Big Nelly wrote:

Checked the Spurs website and it says 03-04. He was out in Maynooth on the piss last year!
    It is the best I have seen keane play in years. If he keeps this up then Defoe will have a hard time replacing him if they keep the Big un little un tactic.

What do people think? If Mido is to miss matches because of the African Nations (although I hear he will be flying over and back??), will Jol play Rasiak and Keane/Defoe or will he try playing Keane and Defoe together?

Lemlin wrote:
    What's happening with Defoe now? He didn't even get a run out last night.

10 mins or so last night after Keane scored. Can't remember who he replaced. Was it Lennon?

Big Nelly wrote:

Calendar year, not season.
    Republic of Ireland Under-21 captain who was handed his Spurs debut in a 1-0 home defeat against Charlton Athletic on December 28, 2003, when first-choice right-back Stephen Carr was ruled out through injury. That appearance meant that, following loan spells with Southend United, Queens Park Rangers and Watford, he held the rare distinction of playing in all four divisions in the same calendar year.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Checked the Spurs website and it says 03-04. He was out in Maynooth on the piss last year!

What do people think? If Mido is to miss matches because of the African Nations (although I hear he will be flying over and back??), will Jol play Rasiak and Keane/Defoe or will he try playing Keane and Defoe together?

He's flying back for one game I think, the Liverpool one. I doubt he'll play Keane and Defoe together, he likes to play a little and large strikeforce.

Lemlin wrote:
    He's flying back for one game I think, the Liverpool one. I doubt he'll play Keane and Defoe together, he likes to play a little and large strikeforce.

Yep, thats right. Was supposed to miss last night's game as well, but the Egyptian FA did a deal with us.

He will miss the Cup game on Saturday, Villa at home in the league on the 21st, a possible 4th round FA Cup game and if Egypt get that far, the home league tie against Charlton.

Raziak's not set the world on fire as his replacement, so its hard to say what Jol will do in Mido's absence. We're allegedly in the market for a striker this window, with Raziak being touted around the lower divisions, so anything could happen. Don't be surprised to see Defoe and Keane play together on Sunday. Now to get on to the ticket office and ask them where's my bloody ticket!!!

Wolves want Raziak for 1.5million. What about the tall Dutch striker they where in for in summer? Liverpool where after him as well. Can't think of name. He would be an ideal replacement/backup for Mido was has been top quality and doing great things for me in Fantasy Footie

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wolves want Raziak for 1.5million. What about the tall Dutch striker they where in for in summer? Liverpool where after him as well. Can't think of name. He would be an ideal replacement/backup for Mido was has been top quality and doing great things for me in Fantasy Footie

Kuyt? Feyenoord want silly money I believe. We're interested all the same, but I also think he's making noises about wanting to stay in Holland util the Summer (read that as he wants to wait until the WC in the hope he'll get a move to a bigger club, or at least a bit of interest to help boost the bidding process when it comes to signing on fee and wages)

Kuyt? Feyenoord want silly money I believe. We're interested all the same, but I also think he's making noises about wanting to stay in Holland util the Summer (read that as he wants to wait until the WC in the hope he'll get a move to a bigger club, or at least a bit of interest to help boost the bidding process when it comes to signing on fee and wages)

Thats him, terrible at name today watever it is. Was some Spanish/Italian club having a lookt him as well. Not really much else out there at the moment. Maybe should of had a look at Sutton on a 6 month contract. Would cover the African nations and would be better than Raziak. Raziak was class in championship but like Zamora he isn't up to PL footie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Very critical of the performance there Redspider IMO.
    While Liverpool may have notched 10 in a row, they were all very winnable games. Bolton away are a hard test for any team. Just look at their record. I don't think Benetiz will be overly disappointed with a point. Cisse was unfit. Hence him being on the bench. I'm also certain that if Liverpool played the likes of Garcia, Risse and Alonso and were physically bossed on the pitch you would be criticising the selection. These are the type of games Liverpool were losing last year, the tough physical ones, Benetiz's selection made sure that if anyone was going to be the physical side it was going to be Liverpool. The tactic's paid off, a good point was won, and a victory was just a post away.

Bolton are a test in recent years, but its a winnable fixture if you are aiming for 2nd or 3rd. I agree with you that a physical team is needed, but I think Benitez went overboard with his selection and left finesse behind. In fact, evidence that he was not happy himself with his selection and formation was demonstrated by the many changes he made throughout the match. Its not as if Bolton were playing in any way unusual.

I thought that a few more creative-minded players in the mix may have helped, and again this was true when both Garcia and Alonso came on.

I agree that last season these games would have been losses, and it could be considered as a point gained. However, even though it was a post from getting a 3rd goal perhaps, Bolton had several shouts for penalties that could have turned this game into a loss.

Benitez wasnt happy afterwards as I think he now feels that if Liverpool play to their capability, they could sneak 2nd. That would be a big leap in many people's eyes and perhaps give him the support to go for an all-out and probably expensive push on 1st place. However, Abramovich is doing it with a major loss at Chelsea, but he has the deep pockets to fund it. The Liverpool owners are unlikely to follow suit.

Until the "level playing pitch" of say a 30-50m salary cap comes in, Benitez should perhaps forget about Chelsea and concentrate on beating Man U. Its games against Bolton which do that, and this year Liverpool have been doing much better.

redspider

The FA have said that they are looking into Sommeil's tackle. I'd say he'll be handed a three game ban.

Advertisement