Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property

Options
  • 01-01-2006 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

I have an interest in property development and I want to get more information on how the industry operates, particularly in Ireland. I was wondering if anyone had read any books on the topic that they would recommend or warn to avoid.

Cheers,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise we are at or very near the top of the market, so there is little scope to make serious money.

There are two real options (a) invest in the property funds offered by banks, which should give a reasonable, but secure return (b) buy on your own / as a small group of investors, but expect more risks and more arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

I have an interest in property development...

So has every man and his dog in this country I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Cantab. wrote:
    So has every man and his dog in this country I'm afraid.
    lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I want to get more information on how the industry operates, particularly in Ireland
    greed, money, bribes,blackmail, the usual;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I would suggest starting small, easiest to begin with are apartments whose external upkeep is managed by another company.

An expensive but sometimes lucrative option is the whole corporate executive accommodation. You need a seriously good city location and top-spec flat with all the trimmings. You will need to present the living-space (don't call it an apartment, or worse, a flat!) to some of the major banks and investment houses, preferably in the IFSC in Dublin, explain that you are providing a comfortable, relaxing environment for the client/guest etc. The presentation (and the presenter) must look the business too, make these people feel that they would want to stay in this living-space if thery were abroad on business!

Of course, all this requires a business plan but can reap much larger rewards than the bog-standard, university-student-landlord-of-a-dive or the cram-as-many-refugees-into-this-s**thole-as-possible type of landlord!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Irish Property Buyer magazine is a good read and there are a few other similar ones out there..

Not many good books on subject tho as many are UK based.Such as Sarah Beeneys spin off book from her show, Property Ladder, which actually isnt a bad read as contains case studys and normal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

All this SELF renovate stuff that u see on UK TV simply dosnt apply in Ireland. In the UK they pay like 2% in stamp duty on purchases we pay 9% to 15%. And construction cost are higher both in terms of labour and products.

In ireland, to make money u need invest in much bigger projects and reduce your construction costs - be the actual builder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The market for corporate executive accommodation is not what it once was in my experience.

I don't think it is correct to think that high-end property will give you a better yield than low-end property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think as onedmc says, stamp duty is the killer. The amount you would have to increase the value of the house to cover stamp duty makes it very difficult. That said, if I were doing it I would probably work at the lower end of the market as there will be less stamp duty and possibly a better chance of making money.

MrP

Advertisement