Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jansen to leave Ewood

• 01-01-2006 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=353778&cc=5739

Matt Jansen appears set to leave Blackburn after finding his first-team opportunities limited at Ewood Park.

The 28-year-old striker has only started one game this season, with boss Mark Hughes preferring either Shefki Kuqi, Paul Dickov or Craig Bellamy in attack.

Reports suggest Jansen has already left the club and is willing to go on trial at another club to earn a fresh deal.

'This is the hardest and yet probably the most sensible decision I have ever made,' Jansen told the Sunday Times. 'I love the club but what was happening was tearing me apart.

'I'm not a troublemaker and I don't kick up a stink if I'm not in the team, but enough is enough.

'I've worked hard and put in some of my best-ever training sessions, but it's like I'm invisible and no-one's watching. I respect Mark Hughes' decisions but I want to be playing.'

Jansen was tipped to earn England honours until a motorcycle accident while on holiday in 2002 left him in a coma.

I've been expecting this for quite a while. Its a big pity though, Jansen was a fantastic player. I wish him all the best but the club have stuck with him through his rehabilitation and he just doesn't look like recapturing the form he once showed.

In the 2001/2002 season before his accident, he scored 16 goals in 29 games and was called up to the England squad. He was top scorer in the first Division the year before as well.

I wish him all the best. Even as a shadow of the player he used to be, he'd be a great signing for any First Division club.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

He was fantastic at Palace but never made his mark at Blackburn which is a big pity alright. I can't see him staying in the Premierleague, he has been too long out of the game. Altough saying that i can see Steve Bruce thinking that Matt Jansen can save the Brum from relegation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's a shame he never regained his full ability, but I guess he and his family can always count their blessings that the accident wasn't fatal. Rovers have a really decent forward line now, it would be hard to see him getting ahead any of the three main strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

but I guess he and his family can always count their blessings that the accident wasn't fatal.

spot on. its a shame, i remember he was been tipped for the top, now i cant remember the last time i seen him play. not sure who will come in for him, but im sure everyone hopes he gets another chance to revive his career at a decent club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He was fantastic at Palace but never made his mark at Blackburn which is a big pity alright. I can't see him staying in the Premierleague, he has been too long out of the game. Altough saying that i can see Steve Bruce thinking that Matt Jansen can save the Brum from relegation!

He made more than his mark at Blackburn. He was their top scorer a few seasons and broke into the English team. He hasn't been the same since the accident though.

Some thought he could even have broken into the World Cup 2002 team but he missed his chance in a friendly against Paraguay when called up through injury.

It saddens me to think how he and Bellamy could have terrorised Premier League defences.

spot on. its a shame, i remember he was been tipped for the top, now i cant remember the last time i seen him play. not sure who will come in for him, but im sure everyone hopes he gets another chance to revive his career at a decent club.

He started one game this season, the 0-0 draw with Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Would be a great signing for any club. Maybe Harry will have a sniff?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Would be a great signing for any club. Maybe Harry will have a sniff?

He scored the winner against Harry's Pompey team in Hughes' first game in charge last season. It was also Blackburn's first victory of that season.

I think he'll go to the Championship though. Would be a good signing for any team in that division, he scored 2 in 9 starts for Coventry when on loan last year and wasn't near full fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

We're looking at him.

kensutz wrote:
    We're looking at him.
    Perhaps as a replacement for Dean Ashton?

kensutz wrote:
    We're looking at him.

Perhaps as a replacement for Dean Ashton?

Well if someone can come up with an offer of £10million well then yes but he won't be going anywhere.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote:
    Well if someone can come up with an offer of £10million well then yes but he won't be going anywhere.

The last figure I heard was £6 million. I think West Ham are after him.

West Ham, Charlton, Man City and Aston Villa. He has 5 years left on the contract which is a very lucrative one for him. Worthington said it's going to take a lot to take him away. Wigan approached us about the offer around £6million and was turned away. Jewell came back and said we quoted "silly money" to sell him for.

In related news, Spurs are said to be after MGP:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=354033&cc=5739

Blackburn winger Morten Gamst Pedersen insists he remains content at Ewood Park despite being linked with a move to Tottenham.

The 24-year-old Norwegian international was on target for Rovers in their 2-1 win over Portsmouth last night and reports suggested he could be a target for Tottenham boss Martin Jol.

However, the player insists he has no reason to leave the Ewood Park side for their Barclays Premiership rivals.

'It's positive that clubs are following you as it means you're a good player,' he told Norwegian daily VG.

'But I'm getting on fine at Blackburn. Tottenham are not that much better than us if you look at the table.

'We're starting to build a good team ourselves.'

They'd have to pay a good 10 million or so for Hughes to even consider selling him. That said, I can't see it happening. MGP is Rovers' best player, and we don't have money problems at the minute so we don't need to sell. If MGP was to leave, I can only see it being to a big club, like a team in Spain or Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Would think Jansen would do well for a season or 2 to get back into proper shape in the Championship. Maybe Shef Wed mite take him in but with the signing of the 2 new strikers I don't think it will happen

In regards to MGP, I think it would be a huge loss for Blackburn if he did leave. Would leave a huge gap in the side. Watched game last night and him and Reid where the 2 best players on pitch. Still I thought Reid was a little better. Future is bright for Ireland if he keeps up this form. Miller and Douglas done well for Leeds yesterday as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Dont know if anyone has seen MGP's response, basically, he ,oves it at Ewood, and reckons Spurs arent that far ahread of Rovers at the moment.

I'd agree our 1st 11 is a match for spurs .. but squad depth wise spurs are a country mile ahead!

X

Yeah its all over the web.

Problem with Spurs is they have 2 many midfielders. Last thing they need is another one to warm the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah its all over the web.

Problem with Spurs is they have 2 many midfielders. Last thing they need is another one to warm the bench

aye, who would they move from their current team back to the bench, cause MGP would walk his way into any first 11 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cause MGP would walk his way into any first 11 ;)

Most, not any.

If Spurs were to part with the £10m Lemlin reckons he'd cost, we'd play him on the left with Davids moving into the centre and Jenas dropped (hopefully)

Midfield would look like this:

MGP---Davids---Carrick---Tainio

*drool*

Won't happen though, Spurs won't spend that much on him.

Most, not any.

If Spurs were to part with the £10m Lemlin reckons he'd cost, we'd play him on the left with Davids moving into the centre and Jenas dropped (hopefully)

Midfield would look like this:

MGP---Davids---Carrick---Tainio

Won't happen though, Spurs won't spend that much on him.

Not a bad midfield but as mentioned MGP would cost about 10million because players like him are always expensive because they are the one player that can get you a goal or setup a goal out of nothing.

Again if he was bought then I would hope they would sell on Reid, if MGP comes in then Reid will get less games. Can see Mendes, Davis, Brown all being sold during the window. Cant see Spurs getting big money for any of those players. All around 1-2million for each.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Again if he was bought then I would hope they would sell on Reid, if MGP comes in then Reid will get less games. Can see Mendes, Davis, Brown all being sold during the window. Cant see Spurs getting big money for any of those players. All around 1-2million for each.

He won't be bought, but Reid will be on his way.

If we got £2m for each of Brown, Mendes and Davis we'd break even on their purchases (£500k, £2m and £3.5m respectively)

I'd settle for that.

• Advertisement

MGP won't move. If he was taking a big step up in class, like Duffer did moving to Chelsea, then there'd be reason to be worried. Tottenham aren't all that better than Blackburn though, as pointed out by the player himself, and I can tell that Hughes is working towards making Blackburn a very good side.

Hopefully he'll make another few wise buys in this transfer window, like Zhruab, Nelsen and Bellamy. I'd like to see a new left back to replace Matteo/Ball.

Btw, why would you want Jenas dropped? I'd heard he was in good form, having been watching him closely though.

Lemlin wrote:
    MGP won't move. If he was taking a big step up in class, like Duffer did moving to Chelsea, then there'd be reason to be worried. Tottenham aren't all that better than Blackburn though, as pointed out by the player himself

You know my assessment of where Blackburn are in terms of team development right now, don't think I need to repeat myself. Spurs are challenging for a European place through the league this season, Blackburn's best chance is through the Carling Cup.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Btw, why would you want Jenas dropped? I'd heard he was in good form, having been watching him closely though.

In the fictional position of having to choose where to accomodate MGP in the Spurs midfield?

Davids and Carrick are untouchable. Jenas' best position is in the centre, but if MGP was signed, Davids would have to move into the centre, so Jenas drops out. Tainio is too good to leave sitting on the bench, he gets into good positions to threaten goal, has a fantastic work rate, tackles well and has a good range of passing.

Jenas' form hasn't been as good as reported. He drifts in and out of games too often, started badly against Newcastle on Saturday but came good in the 2nd half. He's our best option from free kicks, but other than that his role can be covered by the other three easily enough, and with MGP in the side we'd be sorted for frees anyway.

Incidently (and not directly aimed at you), unless you're seeing the guy play a bit I think you're best advised to take what the papers/pundits have to say with a pinch of salt. After hearing that the early editions of Sunday's papers rated Joe Cole @ 8 and 9, yet after Mourinho's comments in the post-match interview the ratings dropped to 4s and 5s, I'm much more wary of what I read.

But it ain't gonna happen.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    You know my assessment of where Blackburn are in terms of team development right now, don't think I need to repeat myself. Spurs are challenging for a European place through the league this season, Blackburn's best chance is through the Carling Cup.

I fully agree with your assessment of Spurs being better than Blackburn. However, I do not think that they warrant a big enough step up in class for MGP to want to move. If they were Chelsea or a Spanish club like Barcelona, I could see him wanting to move, but I can't see how Spurs could offer all that much more than Blackburn, at present.

I'm not so sure about your assessment of the Carling Cup being their best way into Europe either. Blackburn currently lie eighth in the Premiership, and are in very good form. Of the seven teams above them, Spurs are the only team that they have not played away from home this season. They also had two very good away wins in recent days, at 'Boro and then at Wigan.

That means that they have now played most of the best teams in the PL away from home, and with their being very little between the teams in mid-table, I could easily see them grabbing a UEFA Cup place.

Lemlin wrote:
    That means that they have now played most of the best teams in the PL away from home, and with their being very little between the teams in mid-table, I could easily see them grabbing a UEFA Cup place.

Mathematically possible, but can you see them finish top 5? Cos right now thats what's required to qualify for the UEFA Cup (6th place will do if ManYoo and Arsenal reach the Carling Cup final and they both finish in the top 5)

I can't see Blackburn finish ahead of Chelsea, ManYoo, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs or Bolton TBH.

Talk of Bolton and Everton on some of the papers making a move for Jansen, strange one to me I thought he would drop down to Championship. But then there is also reports of Sampdoria buying Bent from Everton for 3 million:rolleyes:

Mathematically possible, but can you see them finish top 5? Cos right now thats what's required to qualify for the UEFA Cup (6th place will do if ManYoo and Arsenal reach the Carling Cup final and they both finish in the top 5)

I can't see Blackburn finish ahead of Chelsea, ManYoo, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs or Bolton TBH.

And that's very likely. Chances are both will finish in the top 5. Hopefully Blackburn can stop United reaching the Carling Cup final though :)

I fully expect Arsenal to beat Wigan though so it could well be a United-Arsenal final, just as the FA wants.

And there's no reason we couldn't finish above Bolton anyway. We've just as good a team and the form is starting to click into face. I expect Sparky to bring in a few new faces this month too.

Hopefully a left back as I said. above It looked a while back that Jay McEveley may have filled the void but that hasn't worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Interesting signing for them. I expected him to go to the Championship. Big Sam could turn him into the new Kevin Davies. Hopefully he does, I wish Jansen all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

That link says he could make his debut tomorrow against Rovers, but I can't see that happening at all.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    That link says he could make his debut tomorrow against Rovers, but I can't see that happening at all.

I wouldn't think he would be fit enough yet to be thrown into a game. Mite get a few mins at the end. Wonder if this the end of Borgetti. Benfica seem very interested in him. Hasn't done much at Bolton so far this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Borgetti's not really getting a sniff of playing time, a pity for Mexicos top ever scorer. He's scored a few in the Uefa Cup where he's started a few times, and in the premiership he's been subbed on 7 times, scored none, started none. I'd guess Big Sam musn't want to rock the boat since he knows where he is with Kevin Davies, a hard team worker whereas Borgettis more an oot and oot striker without the overall contribution. Ie someone who actually scores! (ah no you're lovely really Davies)

Strange though for ultra-frugal Bolton to spend a million on him if he has such a deficency in his game. What's large Samuel waiting for?

Advertisement