Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP reinstall nightmare

• 01-01-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I should have given up on this a long time ago but I am stubborn. I have a Dell dimension 5100 which is only a few months old. It never was very stable but I assumed it was a virus or something and didn't do anything about it. A week ago, it blue screened and wouldn't reboot anymore, so I got the Dell CD and tried to do a reinstall from scratch.
    The install wouldn't copy certain files so I tried a different CD drive and then three other Dell install CD's. The files are somtimes different but there is a pattern. It usually stops on dvdplay.exe first and goes from there. When I hit esc to skip the file, there are many others also.
    I have no other XP home install cd except a copy someone gave me that isn't bootable. I assume it is the CD somehow although I did use one of the Dell ones on a laptop to test it and it went through the whole copy process without a hitch.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Do you have a restore partition on your hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Check your ram and make sure your CPU fan is on properly and spinning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I thought it was a problem with the hard drive itself, so being the rocket scientist I am, I removed all partitions and formatted the drive.

CPU fan is on and spinning. How can I check the ram?

Slim, let me take this opportunity to bow to your infinite wisdom. I now have one of two 256MB sticks of ram sitting on the floor and a perfectly functioning windows reinstall.
    You are a prince amongst men.
    That is of course unless you are a woman:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Trust me, I aint no woman :P

Advertisement