Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Much Should I Offer For This Car

Options
  • 01-01-2006 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

A friend on mine has offered me first refusal on his car as below.

Only problem is that although I like this car and it would be great for work, is that he said he has had two or more taximen look at this and would like around €18k.

Make/Model: Ford Focus LX Estate 1.8 Tdci 100/115 Bhp (not sure yet, he says 115)
    Year: Early 2004 Dublin reg
    Colour: Light metallic blue
    Milage: 35,000 miles
    Bodywork: Good
    Interior: Great
    Has full service history
    Has original Ford alloys, spots, factory fitted electric sunroof, Pioneer MP3/CD player, ABS, all electrics.

Any info would help, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭seatleon2000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

(snip) apologies just read teh other one

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€18k for a two year old Focus seems expensive to me...

A brand new one (115bhp) lists at €26k, so say €23k cash

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

signs wrote:
    A friend on mine has offered me first refusal on his car as below.

Only problem is that although I like this car and it would be great for work, is that he said he has had two or more taximen look at this and would like around €18k.

Make/Model: Ford Focus LX Estate 1.8 Tdci 100/115 Bhp (not sure yet, he says 115)
    Year: Early 2004 Dublin reg
    Colour: Light metallic blue
    Milage: 35,000 miles
    Bodywork: Good
    Interior: Great
    Has full service history
    Has original Ford alloys, spots, factory fitted electric sunroof, Pioneer MP3/CD player, ABS, all electrics.

Any info would help, thanks in advance.

That is expensive especially a straight cash deal.

The estate more than likely has the 100bhp 1.8 TDDi engine, the 115bhp TDCi engine was only available in the Focus van or Ghia spec which as far as I know was not available in the estate version in Ireland.

Since it is also the old model Focus I would be expecting it for around €16k straight cash. I doubt the taxi men would be willing to pay €18k for it either. Also the extras mentioned above add no extra value to the car, they just make it easier to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

the 115bhp TDCi engine was only available in the Focus van

Are all the focus vans 115hp. I thought the focus van were only 100hp? Was there 2 different engines available in the van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well any MkI Focus vans I have seen were all the 115bhp version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say 16k cash, as it's early 2004 it's the previous model and is the one which will depreciate most as if you are trading it in later people will be much more inclined to go for the current model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 signs

Thanks for the input, I'll have to think this over a bit more.

PS - Engine definitly a Tdci, this would be a plus factor for me as I drove a 90 bhp Tddi Mk2 Focus for 40k miles and didn't like the performance/economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

signs wrote:
    Thanks for the input, I'll have to think this over a bit more.

PS - Engine definitly a Tdci, this would be a plus factor for me as I drove a 90 bhp Tddi Mk2 Focus for 40k miles and didn't like the performance/economy.
    I suggest you make first refusal and buy one on Carzone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

offer 16.5 and go to a max of 17

• Advertisement

offer 16.5 and go to a max of 17

No! I would not spend a cent over €14k tbh

unkel wrote:
    No! I would not spend a cent over €14k tbh
    have you even looked at similar models?

have you even looked at similar models?

Not quite sure what you mean there, the €17k might very well be the going rate. But at €17k second hand for a two year old car you'd depreciate about €3k per year for the first two years

Just use common sense. About €23k would buy you a brand new one going with the same €17k after two years would still depreciate €3k per year. Obviously better buying new if it doesn't cost anything more* and you'd have a full warranty!

*apart from the opportunity costs of having to finance a larger initial purchase

What??

New is 23K - 2 years = 17K
    which is my max advice to pay so what are you on about???

so what are you on about???

Apologies for not making myself clearer. Buying new @€;23k would cause a depreciation of €3k per year. Buying a two year old second hand @€;17k would still cause a depreciation of €3k per year (leaving it to be worth about €11k when 4 years old - this is optimistic enough)

So my point is that it is better to buy it new rather than second hand because it won't cost any more

Thats of course assuming the OP can just conjure up the money :confused:

Thats of course assuming the OP can just conjure up the money :confused:

Indeed, see my note on opportunity costs :)

Also, the second hand market has been a buyers one for some time. This will be even more so soon, when the SSIAs will mature from April. Second hand prices will go down even further. I know I shouldn't, but a 7 year old €150k car when new for now only €10k might be tempting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Also, the second hand market has been a buyers one for some time. This will be even more so soon, when the SSIAs will mature from April. Second hand prices will go down even further. I know I shouldn't, but a 7 year old €150k car when new for now only €10k might be tempting :D

I doubt if the SSIAs maturing will have any effect on the €150k car market, it is only 6mths depreciation. :)

maidhc wrote:
    I doubt if the SSIAs maturing will have any effect on the €150k car market, it is only 6mths depreciation. :)
    7 YEARS depreciation i think you mean and yes could very well be €10K

Advertisement