Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Plate Recognition devices for Gardaí

Options
  • 01-01-2006 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

According to today's Sunday World, the Gardaí will take delivery of a new €6 million Plate Recognition System in 2006.

How the system works is -
    Patrol cars are fitted with a device which scans the number plate of whatever vehicle is in front of the patrol car, and if the vehicle is not insured/taxed/NCT'd, etc a warning sound will activate within the patrol car and the car will be pulled over and the driver cautioned or fined.

It's been in use in the UK for a few years now.

I think that it's a great system as it will (should!) result in more rogue drivers been prosecuted.

At the end of the day, why should honest motorist's be subsidising drivers who don't tax, insure, or NCT their vehicles !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

All the more reason to have a proper EU reg plate on your vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd like to know how they're going to check insurance and NCT. Is there a central database available to the gardai giving details of what cars are and aren't insured. With the NCT, don't the NCTS use a separate database to the one used by the vehicle registration authority. Meaning that if you import a car, pay VRT, register it etc. you still have to fill in more forms before you can get it NCT'd.

IME the Gardai don't seem to be willing to enforce the law as it is so a new computerised system won't make a difference. Eg I have heard numerous reports of cars with no NCT, worn tyres, blown bulbs, unaccompanied provisional drivers etc. being stopped at Garda checkpoints yet nothing was said.

The new system will probably be a farce like everything else in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If the system is to have any chance of working then there'll have to be a big change in the enforcement fo number plates regs. At the moment it really is farcical. Just look at the number of
    -cars going around with dirty, illegible, broken, unlit, non-standard plates
    -trucks and tractors with no number plates on the trailer
    -cars towing trailers where the registration on the trailer is different to the reg on the car

The Gardai see these offences all the time and do nothing about it. in contrast, if you were doing any of the above in the UK you'd last about 5 minutes before being pulled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Gardaí do enforce the law with trucks and the like with no plates on the trailer, believe me, after working somewhere with a lot of haulage traffic, most of the drivers have gotten done for it at one time or another, and they are reluctant to leave without plates on the trailer.

Private cars/tractors, however, I agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

At best, it is another way to keep honest people honest. TBH the Gardaí could be doing more useful things (like public order and investigating serious crime...). In fairness i think the gardaí are sensible about how they enforce the law.

I got stopped before because I had a blown bulb. Wasnt even aware of it. Garda told me go home and get it fixed. I went home, and got it fixed. I also had a slightly dodgy trailer before and was warned to get it sorted... and I did. At no time was I endangering anyone. Is that sort of enforcement not reasonable?

It is easy to get high and mighty about technical regulations, and totaly ignore the fundamental concept of road safety. Law is well and good, but it is dangerous if people think that by complying with certain regulations they are infallible.
    The new system will probably be a farce like everything else in this country.
    The system may well be a farce, but this is a fine country, not a perfect one, but a fine one nonetheless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

maidhc wrote:
    I got stopped before because I had a blown bulb. Wasnt even aware of it. Garda told me go home and get it fixed. I went home, and got it fixed. I also had a slightly dodgy trailer before and was warned to get it sorted... and I did. At no time was I endangering anyone. Is that sort of enforcement not reasonable?
    That's exactly how I'd like to see the law enforced, but your experience was unusual. Normally the guards don't give a toss about little things like road traffic legislation unless it's a) speeding or b) drink driving-all the other myriad of offences seem to be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Good idea and hopefully it will make everyone pay their way, driving with no insurance is insane, I strongly believe that all cars driving with no insurance should be seized and crushed with no exceptions.

Was watching a documentary on BBC a while back they have a system in London where a car can be followed around the whole city by the cameras they have on the streets logging the number plate, this was useful for following terrorist suspects and also checking cars had MOT/Tax/Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My brother thought of this five years ago. Feckin eejit should have made his money then :)

Good to hear it, though 2006 is a whole year, and we know how lax our Government are on getting off their asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bleedin wasters. How much more money do they want to bleed from us?

I'd prefer if they spent the €6,000,000 to tackle anti-social behaviour, larceny, joyriding and the like.

I've seen enough to know there are certain areas of Dublin the Gardai don't patrol and people are left to fend for themselves against all kinds of intimidation and personal attacks.

I couldnt care less about stupid new systems to give out more fines for cars without tax or NCT, the whole thing screams "revenue" and it makes me sick:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Savman wrote:

I've seen enough to know there are certain areas of Dublin the Gardai don't patrol

name one area ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Savman wrote:
    Bleedin wasters. How much more money do they want to bleed from us?

Who are you talking about? Is it the uninsured drivers that bleed money from you through increase premiums? That is of course assuming that you have insurance.

I don't see how you can have a problem with this. Uninsured drivers cost law abiding drivers money. That is not in dispute.

I have an issue with the levels of road tax we pay here and the value for money we get for it. But at the end of the day the law says you need it so again I see no problem with what will be, operationally, a reasonably cheap and easy way to catch those that don't pay. Unlike insurance premiums, I don't expect road tax to be reduced as compliance increases.

As for NCT, again, it is the law and no doubt there are some very dangerous vehicles on the road that should not be there. If this system gets them off the roads and saves afew few lives then what is there to complain about?

That said, I will be surprised if they get all the systems talking to each other as they will need to in order for the system to work.

MrP

vasch_ro wrote:
    name one area ........

Finglas, Ballymun, Darndale... I can go on.

MrPudding wrote:
    Who are you talking about? Is it the uninsured drivers that bleed money from you through increase premiums? That is of course assuming that you have insurance.

Er, yes I do have insurance Officer, and iirc its the MIBI who payout in claims involving inunsured drivers, insurance companies wash their hands of it.

I do not condone uninsured driving but its not the solitary reason for high premiums, that is in fact caused primarily by the number of crashes/deaths on Irish roads.

I'm all for crack down on this stuff but it's not exactly high priority for €6m when the hospital situation is spiralling out of control. I just think the cash could be spent elsewhere.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Silvera wrote:
    According to today's Sunday World, the Gardaí will take delivery of a new €6 million Plate Recognition System in 2006.

How the system works is -
    Patrol cars are fitted with a device which scans the number plate of whatever vehicle is in front of the patrol car, and if the vehicle is not insured/taxed/NCT'd, etc a warning sound will activate within the patrol car and the car will be pulled over and the driver cautioned or fined.

I think that it's a great system as it will (should!) result in more rogue drivers been prosecuted.

Yes it sounds great, just one question what if the garda tries to pull over the car and this car decides to leg it(because its a stolen car or just plain stupidty)
    Will the garda chase? It was in the newspapers and the news that the majority of garda have no driving training for these situations.
    I would hate to hear of more fatalies because of the lack of training on the garda's side.
    At the end of the day, why should honest motorist's be subsidising drivers who don't tax, insure, or NCT their vehicles !!

True, if it can help the honest motorist, it should be interesting to see how it works.

Savman wrote:
    Er, yes I do have insurance Officer, and iirc its the MIBI who payout in claims involving inunsured drivers, insurance companies wash their hands of it.
    5% (or something like that) of your premium funds the MIBI. Statistics are gleamed from all crashes, not just from ones involving insured drivers, and since it's safe to say that an uninsured driver is quite likely a dangerous driver, then their crashes cost a lot more, driving up everyone's premium.

seamus wrote:
    5% (or something like that) of your premium funds the MIBI. Statistics are gleamed from all crashes, not just from ones involving insured drivers, and since it's safe to say that an uninsured driver is quite likely a dangerous driver, then their crashes cost a lot more, driving up everyone's premium.

So less crashes by uninsured drivers means the MIBI will be redundant? I don't think so, that's not an object of concern for me tbh 'cos it's not gonna drastically reduce anything in my premium.

The best way to deter uninsured driving is with heavy criminal charges and consequences, which I know for a fact are not pursued at present simply cos the powers that be couldnt be bothered.

More fines is not the solution, that just generates more money to be misused.

Tax = Revenue
    Fines = Revenue
    NCT = many say it was revenue driven

Another €6m gadget to make more money just doesnt provide any long-term solutions considering you have to be driving directly in front of a squad car to be caught :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

BrianD3 wrote:
    If the system is to have any chance of working then there'll have to be a big change in the enforcement fo number plates regs. At the moment it really is farcical. Just look at the number of
    -cars towing trailers where the registration on the trailer is different to the reg on the car

The Gardai see these offences all the time and do nothing about it. in contrast, if you were doing any of the above in the UK you'd last about 5 minutes before being pulled over.
    Hopefully the system will alery to those issues too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BrianD3 wrote:

Gotta agree.
    [broken record]all they have to do is check cars on the exit ramps of the M50, there would be no delay since the traffic is already stationery, better still at a park and ride facility so they can impound cars and force people to procede public transport until they get produce a valid license or whatever[/broken record]

Savman wrote:
    So less crashes by uninsured drivers means the MIBI will be redundant? I don't think so, that's not an object of concern for me tbh 'cos it's not gonna drastically reduce anything in my premium.
    Not redundant, but by its very nature the MIBI is non-profit. So if the 5% is more than is required, it forces a reduction of premiums across the board.
    The best way to deter uninsured driving is with heavy criminal charges and consequences, which I know for a fact are not pursued at present simply cos the powers that be couldnt be bothered.
    But the consequences are already quite steep, and I certainly wouldn't risk it on the off-chance that "they won't pursue it". Anyone I've heard of being caught for motoring offences recently has been charged and convicted. A while back I did believe that a lifetime driving ban was the only solution for criminal motoring offences, but I don't think it's an ideal solution. It flies in the face of the notion of rehabilitation of criminals.

This discussion has gone on so many times before. The system is sufficient, the penalties are sufficient. The problem is enforcement & detection. You can make up all the laws you want, and increase penalties through the roof, but the people who break the laws will continue to do so until they think there's a chance of actually being caught.

Gotta agree.
    [broken record]all they have to do is check cars on the exit ramps of the M50, there would be no delay since the traffic is already stationery, better still at a park and ride facility so they can impound cars and force people to procede public transport until they get produce a valid license or whatever[/broken record]
    And the new dundrum town center already have the technology in place great idea impound the cars in the centre :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

BrianD3 wrote:

Your dead right, if the Gardai can't control the above list - why waste money on this new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Savman wrote:
    Tax = Revenue
    True.
    Savman wrote:
    Fines = Revenue
    And a cheaper (to the taxpayer) alternative to financial penalties for law-breaking would be what exactly? We already have some of the highest rates of custodial sentencing in Europe. That is a very, very expensive way of dealing with minor crime.
    Savman wrote:
    NCT = many say it was revenue driven
    Well I guess many were wrong because it was actually driven by an EU directive, as was driver theory testing.
    Savman wrote:
    Another €6m gadget to make more money just doesnt provide any long-term solutions considering you have to be driving directly in front of a squad car to be caught :confused:
    The advantage of this passive system is clearly lost on you. The Gardai don't have to stand at the roadside doing random T&I checks with a system like this in place, they simply drive around and the computer tells them the random (there's that word again!) car in front is dodgy and they can pull it over and have a chat. This type of technology will finally make our Garda Traffic Corps begin to catch up with the far superior road traffic policing evident just over the border! It will of course require the GTC to be well versed on road traffic legislation and so on. The amount of Gardai that are ignorant of basic road traffic legislation is quite shocking at present.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe the Guards could pull over people whose plates are not recognised by the OCR technology. No database or link to database needed. And if the plate is recognised once cleaned then it proves the technology is working. If the plate is not recognised when cleaned then the Guards check if it's using funny fonts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Maybe the Guards could pull over people whose plates are not recognised by the OCR technology. No database or link to database needed. And if the plate is recognised once cleaned then it proves the technology is working. If the plate is not recognised when cleaned then the Guards check if it's using funny fonts etc.

What exactly is the point of that? Cant they just use their eyes to do the same thing?

maidhc wrote:
    What exactly is the point of that? Cant they just use their eyes to do the same thing?
    but that would involve brainpower :p just kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

Silvera wrote:

Only thing is with the help of this new system there not gonna have our premiums reduced why would they everything is going to stay the same, yeah the deterant will be there but we still gonna pay through the nose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I think that this is an excellent idea, and for a reason not yet mentioned: it would remove the requirement to have three independent pieces of paper cluttering the windscreen, each separately proving a different kind of legal compliance. Viva convergence!

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The current system for prosecuting offenders for road traffic offences is a bit crazy.

I spoke with a Sergeant in the Traffic Corps and he said he is 'blue in the face' (pardon the pun:)) writing to Garda HQ seeking an on-the-spot fine system for trucks/tractors/etc with no rear number plates.
    Currently if a Garda decides to prosecute for this offence he has to go through a ream of paperwork AND attend court to see the prosecution through !

A simple on-the-spot fine for most traffic offences should be in place (with the option to attend court - and face a larger fine if you decide to do so) rather than having overworked/understaffed Gardai attending court for such simple matters.

Silvera wrote:
    Currently if a Garda decides to prosecute for this offence he has to go through a ream of paperwork AND attend court to see the prosecution through !

Poor fella :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Savman wrote:
    Poor fella :rolleyes:
    My heart bleeds for the poor little piggies!

Advertisement