Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

major and minor notes of the scale

Options
  • 02-01-2006 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

i dont know if im phrasing this right or whatever...but i need to know the major and minor notes of a scale.

It may be hard to understand what im saying but i remember this much of it.

the order of the first few notes of the major scale goes:

major-minor-minor-major....dont know after this. i know theres 7 chords

i need to know the set up for major and minor chords, can anyone help?

thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Um, do you mean the tones and semi-tones between the notes of the scale? It's tone tone semitone tone tone tone semitone, if that's what you're looking for.

As far as chords go... *tries to remember back to when she did music theory* as far as I know there's gonna be a major and a minor chord for every note in the scale, depending on how you construct it...

I assume you mean the tone/semitone thing? Which PFM has said already
    Unless you mean the triads based on each note of a major scale, in which case this will help: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/chord-scale.html
    maj min min maj maj min dim maj

As for major and minor chords, there are major and minor for each note
    C major chord would be C-E-G
    C minor is C-Eflat-G
    is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

no no, its not tone and semi tone. i know that.

i know there can be major and minor for every note, but i think its the root note and what sounds best in that position.

i dont think im explaining it well, and i dont know how to clear it up...does anyone understand what im getting at?

EDIT:
    bluewolf, its not the traids, but that site explains it! on the right had side it has C maj, Dmin etc...thats what i was getting at. harmonizing...

thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Ah you mean a harmonised scale.

Gmaj

I Gmaj 7
    II Amin 7
    III Bmin 7
    IV Cmaj 7
    V D 7
    VI Emin 7
    VII F# 7b5

and if you are looking for the same thing for a minor scale just start on the 6th (Relative minor), in this case Emin.

I think you might be getting a little confused about triads and what they are, as they basically determine if a chord is maj or min. Its quite simple really they are just the 1st, 3rd and 5th or the notes that make up a chord, its the 3rd that determines if its minor or major. Have a read of that site and it will explain it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I think (just a guess) you are talking about the chords that fit naturally into a key.

Note: I have never studied music so I dont know all the rules. Please correct any mistakes I may have in the following I have learned from experience playing.

In the key of Gmajor (often just called G to refer to the major), the following chords (sort of) work:

G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#

The reason for this is the root of each of these is in the scale of Gmajor.
    Gmajor scale = G, A, B, C, D ,E , F#

However you will notice while playing them that Am, Bm, and F# can sound 'out of place' in the wrong progression as they contain notes not in the natural scale of Gmaj.

The natural chords in the key of Gmaj are : Gmaj, Cmaj, Dmaj, Em. You may notice these chords used in loads of simple songs (Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of your life) etc.)

Each major chord has a relative minor, root 3 frets lower than the major.
    Eg:
    Relative minor of G = Em, C = Am, D = Bm etc.
    If you examine the notes of Em, you will see it contains E,B,G.
    G contains: G, B, D.
    There is only 1 note different, and its still in the Gmaj scale, hence Em, being the relative Minor of Gmajor.
    You see how Am, Bm, Em now fit into the key of G. Since if C and D fit in, then their relative minors with the exception of 1 note fit in.
    The out of key note in Am and Bm can add a nice sound.

You might also notice the key of Em uses pretty much all the same chords of Gmajor, just its rooted in Em. (Also Bmaj fits better in Em key than Bmin).

• Advertisement
Advertisement