Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New network setup problems

• 02-01-2006 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Just got a new inspirion for crimbo:D ... hurray... (dell inspirion 1300)
    I think I might have messed up connecting it up to the home network. Went through the wizards etc and got the laptop to recognise and connect to the wireless network signal, signal is strong but connection is limited or non existant.:( At one point my attempts to hook up caused the host broadband connection to crash:eek: ... oops...(obviously sorted out that mishap)... Any suggestions on how to get this sorted cause its meltin me head:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

scorplett wrote:
    Just got a new inspirion for crimbo:D ... hurray... (dell inspirion 1300)
    I think I might have messed up connecting it up to the home network. Went through the wizards etc and got the laptop to recognise and connect to the wireless network signal, signal is strong but connection is limited or non existant.:( At one point my attempts to hook up caused the host broadband connection to crash:eek: ... oops...(obviously sorted out that mishap)... Any suggestions on how to get this sorted cause its meltin me head:confused:

It would help to know what comprises your network what router/modem are you using? Have you set up the security properly on the laptop?

Have you by any chance set up a mac filter on the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

I'm sorry, my lingo might be a bit poor. The only thing I know about the router is that it's a netopia provided by eircom. The Hub computer is a similar laptop also, running on the same platform (XP). One curious problem in the setup wizard was when I chose the recommended method (automatic) for installing the new laptop as a computer on the new network, the only drive option offered was F: and the usb netopia LAN device, or any other should I plug it in was on E:drive??? Therefore I had to do the manual method which provided me with the relevant info on a notepad doc which I transfered to the new laptop. Maybe I'll just take the thing to a techie. Thanks for the reply

Believe it or not your set up should be very simple.

Forget about the network wizards etc for the moment.

AFAIK the modem now supplied by Eircom is a wireless one and thats what you seem to have from your post. So all you should need to do is make sure it is connected to the net and that the wireless is switched on - again from your post that seems to be the position

The wireless software on your laptop should detect the wireless network and join it - however the Netopia may have some security switched on and that may be why the laptop is not joining it.

Have you tried to access the netopia set up to see what the wireless settings are? Unfortunately I am not familiar with the netopia but there should be some sort of guide with it to tell you how to do this. You will access the set up through your browser - usually the address is http://192.168.1.1 but I have a funny feeling that the netopia uses something slightly different - but that should be available in the literature you got from Eircom.

you really dont need a teccie to do this its best to sort it out yourself if you can at all as you learn a lot (as well as suffering a lot too!) from such a set up.:)

Actually I just checked the Eircom site and this link will give you information on how to access the Netopia. I would suggest turning off the Netopia security (briefly!) and see if the laptop will access the network.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=71&E=0000000000007081952&K=2246&Sxi=0&Problem=obj(7722))

Incidentally the correct address to access the netopia is http://192.168.1.254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Cheers All working now... Thanks a mil

• Advertisement
Advertisement