Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disobediant doggy!

Options
  • 02-01-2006 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

i have a puppy, nearly a yr old. hes a cross between a sheepdog and a collie i think. we leave him in the kitchen at night, and leave paper down, every morning theres a wee and a poo waiting,. is there any way of getting him to do his stuff outside first so he dosnt go in the kitchen? he does go for a wee before being left in for the night.

when were having our dinner, he jumps from one to the other looking for something off the plate, i dont give him anything as i heard your not supposed to feed animals from the plate. when im not there my parents always do it, they say he whinges like a baby until he gets something.
    he gets fed his own food, yet he still wants stuf of our plates.
    how do we stop him from doing this?

i know hes a pup but i want to get him into a routine that he will stick to.

any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

First of all: Tell your parents to stop giving him things off the plate because they send mixed messages. Very likely the dog does not understand why he gets something off the plate from some of his mates and then nothing from others. Of course he is whinging, he get´s away with it. Headphones for a week (for your parents) and firm ignorance towards the dog should solve the problem. Maybe it is even best to send the dog out of the room when he starts acting a bollocks.

Mainly I think whoever feeds him stuff off the plate is responsible for his behaviour and should be knee-capped, simply because the dog is getting into trouble and has to be retrained because of humans who mistake him for something he is not: a member of the two-leggers who eat from the table.

There are plenty of things you could do regarding the pee and poo issue. Firstly you have to find out why he is doing this. If he is nearly a year old he is way too old to use the kitchen for his businesses. I reckon, he is trying to tell you something.

Do NOT put his nose into the pee or poo and DO NOT be angry with him first thing in the morning.

Encourage him to pee and poo outside and everytime he does his job outside the house, meaning, the way it should be, praise him as if he just found a € 1000 note and he might get the picture.

In nearly all cases peeing and pooing inside the house has either never been properly explained to the dog (see above) or is a form of conversation, saying there is something not quite right.

Sometimes, if small kids are around the animal gets back to an infant stage, because he can see that the small ones with the dirty asses get lots of attention. Happens rarely but it happens.

Anyway, it is hard to make suggestions not knowing the circumstances. From my studies of Holistic Animal Healing I know that one has to look at the bigger picture, meaning all people in the dog´s life and the circumstances the dog lives in, must be taken into consideration.

A constant level of noise for instance would be one reason for a dog to act arkward.

Hope that helps a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Your parents have trained the dog that if he hangs around and whines he'll be rewarded with food. Excellent job of training, from the sound of it!

And you've trained him to do his business overnight in the kitchen, if he's using the paper provided.

You're not going to un-train the feeding from the table unless everyone joins in and trains him in an alternative behaviour, for instance lying in his bed while people are eating - you do this by rewarding him for that, and *not* responding when he whines for food.

I'd really urge you to do this, because it's one thing when he's young and fit, but as he gets older you're laying the foundations for an obese, unfit dog.

The pee/poo business is different; you'll need to take him out for a walk last thing at night, and also get up in the middle of the night and bring him outside to do his stuff.

May I suggest that you decide one particular place in the garden that you'd like him to use, and make a sandpit there. Bring him out *on his lead*, and lead him over there, and let him get to know it.

Now, when you're bringing him on walks, if he crouches to do one job or the other, say a word or phrase for each - whatever you like. For instance, when he pees, say "Do a pee. Good dog!" (Or if you'd prefer, say "Gormenghast" or "Phylloxera" - it doesn't matter what the word or phrase is, only that it's consistent, and that it's associated with the activity, and with praise.)

After a while he'll cop on that this word or phrase and the activity of crouching to pee is associated. At that stage, when you see him *starting* to crouch or lift his leg, say the word associated with whichever he's doing, and then lots of praise.

Next, say the word, and the first time he actually responds, give him loads of treats. (In fact, you could have been giving him small treats all along, as well as praise.)

When you have him reliably crouching or lifting a leg according to which suggestion you make, start bringing him over to the sandpit when you bring him out the back on the lead. You should be able to train him to pee and poo there easily, and get him back to a routine and an expectation when he knows that's the correct place.

If he tries to crouch in the kitchen, open the door and rush him out, so he knows this isn't the correct place.

You might also wash the kitchen floor well with biological detergent and then rinse it, and go to a good pet shop to get a product to take the scent of his urine and poo out, so he doesn't think this is the correct place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

wo, some long reading to do there. ill be printing this out and bringing it home and putting it into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Misticles wrote:
    wo, some long reading to do there. ill be printing this out and bringing it home and putting it into practice.
    u will have to get up early in the mornings about 6-7 fed the dog,the usual leave water around all day let him straight out do his business bring him in praise him do not give anymore food till the evening ,make sure he is only fed twice a day.i dont fed my dog after 8 in the evening just water,have had no prob since,you will soon get him into a routine,best of luck,

Advertisement