Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Animal Veterinary Clinic UCD

Options
  • 02-01-2006 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

As a student, I was just wondering what your opinions are on the University Veterinary Hospital in UCD and specifically the Small Animal Clinic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From what point of view? We've had some dealings with them in the past when our cat was referred to them, and they were nothing short of 100% professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I think they provide an excellent service and they even were open for emergencies everyday over the holiday period!

Gazza22 wrote:
    I think they provide an excellent service and they even were open for emergencies everyday over the holiday period!
    The emergency out of hours service provided at the premises of the UCD veterinary school is a completely separate thing altogether to the normal small animal clinic that runs there during the daytime, and is staffed by vets paid for by a group of (primarily southside) Dublin vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Are you sure Alun? We were up there a couple of weeks ago and 2 interns were brought in to watch the vet with our cat; we were chatting to them and they said they rotate between the day clinic and the emergency one during their third (i think) year of studying veterinary.

Manny7 wrote:
    Are you sure Alun? We were up there a couple of weeks ago and 2 interns were brought in to watch the vet with our cat; we were chatting to them and they said they rotate between the day clinic and the emergency one during their third (i think) year of studying veterinary.
    Pretty much 100% sure, yes. I spoke to our vet, Bairbre O'Malley who coincidentally also does some teaching work at UCD, about it just the other day in regard to a question someone had posted on here on the very same matter.

That's not to say that some of the vets that man the emergency clinic don't have other day jobs as well, or are final year students or interns, although that would surprise me, but certainly legally it's a separate entity. It's financed by a consortium of vets who, according to Bairbre, employ three (she said full-time) vets thereby releiving the practices concerned of the tiresome (literally!) task of providing 24hr cover. They used to be based in a private vet practice in Nutgrove for a while, but had to leave, mainly because of insurance reasons, I believe.

Just going on what I was told.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Our vet in Greystones lists the UCD number as the emergency contact, I guess it does make sense for vets in the area to group together like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Manny7 wrote:
    We were up there a couple of weeks ago and 2 interns were brought in to watch the vet with our cat; we were chatting to them and they said they rotate between the day clinic and the emergency one during their third (i think) year of studying veterinary.

Not sure who claims the out of hours service, Id be surprised if those vets actually owned it, the entire hospital belongs to UCD. students start down there in 3rd year and spend 5th year completely on rotation in the UVH, at which time we work - more like watch - in all areas including emergency. Really was just wondering what people seem to think of the services they actually get from the clinic, some people seem to like it others disappointed...

Not sure who claims the out of hours service, Id be surprised if those vets actually owned it, the entire hospital belongs to UCD. students start down there in 3rd year and spend 5th year completely on rotation in the UVH, at which time we work - more like watch - in all areas including emergency. Really was just wondering what people seem to think of the services they actually get from the clinic, some people seem to like it others disappointed...
    I didn't say they owned it, merely that they collectively pay the wages of the vets that man it, and are allowed to use the premises by UCD. At least that was what Bairbre told me, and seeing as she pays into the scheme herself, I believe her :)

Anyway, getting back on topic, as I said, I found the service very professional, the only problem we had was that our cat developed it's problem in the summer that they were moving from Ballsbridge to the Belfield campus and no-one (and no facilities either) was available until it was too late, unfortunately.

I thought the service was pretty good, the only problem was we had to wait a while (around an hour/hour and a half) to get treatment. They seemed good at prioritising though, every newcomer got a quick onceover and they took them in order of seriousness so no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hira

I accept that UCD vet has the state of art equipments to deal with various cases. However I saw a young nurses shouring at sick dogs in its kennel. I also saw a junior nurses shouting to a patient's owner who inquired about his old friend to leave the buiding, as she "run" the place and she is busy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement