Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my pc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tyRion

I'm planing on building a AMD system, like plonks

Just a few AMD Qs,

Are X2s worth the money? AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz 2MB This looks sweet but i'm not sure i could justifey spending over half a grand on one chip

An addition i would like is a terestial TV tuner card, if it could do Scart Video in that'd be really cool

I have an old Gateway2000 (Pre ATX) Which i have moded to fit an ATX mobo and it works quite well. I kinda did a half upgrade a while ago but the only thing worth keeping from that is my sound setup.

I'm looking at spending up to about E1,500, but the less the better

Heres a list of what i need
    • 939 Mobo
    • 939 CPU
    • 1Gb Ram
    • PSU
    • Graphics card [less than E200]
    • HDD [200Gb is loads] maybe two in RAID1 though i hear you loose preformance
    • DVD Burner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

What are you using the pc for

I'm not a mad gamer, so I don't really need a top notch GPU, but i do play the odd game so I would like the PC to stand up to the likes of HL2 & Far-Cry

I would like to do a bit of Video Editing, I have old Camcorder tapes I want to stick on DVD, so VIVO would be nice. I'd also like to make it a PVR, but not very heavy, most of the shows would be ripped to DivX and stuck on DVDs

I do a good bit of stuff with PhotoShop so I take it alot of ram would be nice and A dual core chip would probably be sweet for multi tasking.

How does Cache size on a Chip make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

tyRion wrote:
    I'm not a mad gamer, so I don't really need a top notch GPU, but i do play the odd game so I would like the PC to stand up to the likes of HL2 & Far-Cry

I would like to do a bit of Video Editing, I have old Camcorder tapes I want to stick on DVD, so VIVO would be nice. I'd also like to make it a PVR, but not very heavy, most of the shows would be ripped to DivX and stuck on DVDs

I do a good bit of stuff with PhotoShop so I take it alot of ram would be nice and A dual core chip would probably be sweet for multi tasking.

How does Cache size on a Chip make a difference

a 6800gt would prob be good enough for what you need, dont know if you can get vivo though. I'd say 2gig ram would be what u'd need and a dualcore for a bit of futureproofing (also i think u can configure photoshop to use 2 cores ?)

gline :: cheers

Ok, this is how its looking so far

Graphics Card
    CPU
    I need advice on HDD, Mobo, RAM, DVD burner, Fan and PSU. I've done a bit of looking but I havent been keeping up with Tech specs latley (I used read PC Extreme, I had a subscription, but they went bust)

When getting 2Gigs of RAM is it better to get 4x512Meg sticks or 2x1Gig sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

2x1 sticks definitely. AMD doesnt like having 4 sticks of ram.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

2x1 sticks definitely. AMD doesnt like having 4 sticks of ram

Yup the command rate drops to 2T instead of 1T, which is very bad news for a AMD setup

I got a leadtek 7800gt for around €300 on OcUk its a great card, comes with VIVO and lots of software, might be a bit out of your price range since your not looking for a gaming PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

As you can see above i got the powercolour radeon for 182 and its brilliant for the money. Fear runs fine on it and havent overclocked it yet

RAM :: How does this look?

Games shall only be played the odd time so i dont need mad gaming specs, plus i'l like to keep it all with Komplett for reasons of VAT, :)

Is there much of a difference between the three cards? ATI or nvidia? Which works better under Linux?

Which Zalman Fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

nVidia for linux.

That's a good price for decent corsair ram.

• Advertisement

How does this look?

Order place'd! I added a few bits and it came to E1,558 in the end, ex VAT

Advertisement