Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help...?

Options
  • 02-01-2006 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

I just got Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress on DVD the other day, which came with an intro by George Lucas. Lucas mentioned in this intro while describing the fact that the plot resembles so many other plots that there is a book with a theory among writers that there are only 32 plots, and everything is just a variation on these 32 plots. It sounds like a load of boohockey, but it's still an interesting theory. Anyone have any idea what the name of the book is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭AndyPipkin2007

Afraid not try going on to a website related with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Chris IS Cool

i think my substitute english teacher said sometihng last year about there being only 5 (i think) basic plots in writing, but i cant remember what they were ( boy-meets-girl was one... actually, i dont think my teacher ever bothered saying what they were...)... i guess if you strip most stories down to the very very basics there would be enough similarities to say sometihng like that...

P.S. Hi Ian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

I think they were more specific than that - "boy meets girl" is more of a generic theme than a "plot" - and the one Lucas was talking about in particular had something to do with the whole The Prince and the Pauper idea of assimilating oneself into the lower classes.

Also, I don't trust English teachers ;) .

PS: Hi, Chris!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Chris IS Cool

Also, I don't trust English teachers ;) .

I don't blame you... What Lucas was talking about seems a lot more specific and better than what my guy said...

Advertisement