Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green day tattoo

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Name your five to six artists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Name your five to six artists?

I believe it was you who has the ability to do that?

Sorry misread your post thought you were gonna name five or six locals, i'll do it when ig et home for lunch as can't access tat sites from work

Sorry misread your post thought you were gonna name five or six locals, i'll do it when ig et home for lunch as can't access tat sites from work

We can all use google? stop wasting our time

But not all people know correct irish grammar. If it needs to get childish.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna play from a worldwide deck and you can use locals

Emmet plays his tattoo prodigy card

Your turn

But not all people know correct irish grammar. If it needs to get childish.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

I'm gonna play from a worldwide deck and you can use locals

Emmet plays his tattoo prodigy card

Your turn

My turn? I wasn't the one claiming I can list off 5 artists that can do good portraits but what I did say is that a hell of alot more than 5-6 people can pull it off good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Ag marbh wrote:
    You didn't get all of your angst out on the first post? It's good to vent anger.

Put up or shut up, it's simple list the artists that you think are good at portraits, like I said I am open to learning something.

In fairness I think a lot of us regulars on here think of it as a kind of duty to stop people getting bad tattoos and portraits are the hardest to do, there is no grey area, it either looks like someone or it does not.

The artist that I was told was "the only one worth bothering about" I cant remember the name of, but if you insist I can find it out for you.

The OP has already decided on an artist anyway so this is more than a little OT at this point.

Sorry reviewed my post and now i see what your uppity if let me correct what i meant to say IMO there's only 5-6 artists that can do them well and none of them live in this country. Is that better? Heres the original post,
    Seconded there's no one i know of that does good black and grey portraits in ireland and there's only about 5-6 in the world that do them very well.
    But if your irish grammar skills are on par with your english ones you probably didn't understand that one
    Anyway i strongly advise against it having seen people do the same thing. But end of the day its your body

And one more
    Sorry i'll reapeat for clearness "there's on one who does GOOD black and grey portrait working on the scene in ireland" i never said no one was doing it. Anywho as you seem set on getting it done can i please urge you to hold off til a convention when there is someone who can do a good job of it around?

Miss that, probably getting too self righteous. Anyway prove me wrong that there's good portrait artists in the country post a pic of yours. Come to think of it there is one person who could do a good portrait try guess who?

I hate having to repeat myself.

• Advertisement

Think about it Emmet, why would you name people and post a pic of your own tattoo to win an argument on the internet?

I wouldn't bother, I think it's better to just insult people rather than prove them wrong.

Sorry i wasn't thinking, why argue maturely when you can argue people down to your level and win by experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

hot air tbh

Ag marbh just wanted to wade in and protect the original poster, I didn't think my original post was even that bad, I wouldn't have said it was offensive, possibly a little humorous, the OP does not have the tattoo yet, so no one was criticising the choice of subject really, just questioning the competence of the Irish artists out there to get a good portrait together.
    Ag Marbh possibly felt offended cos they have a portrait done, that interestingly is so good that they wont show it to us or name who did it.
    Great stuff there.

Looks like I wont be getting my Hendrix tattoo after all then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Blub2k4 wrote:
    hot air tbh

Ag marbh just wanted to wade in and protect the original poster, I didn't think my original post was even that bad, I wouldn't have said it was offensive, possibly a little humorous, the OP does not have the tattoo yet, so no one was criticising the choice of subject really, just questioning the competence of the Irish artists out there to get a good portrait together.
    Ag Marbh possibly felt offended cos they have a portrait done, that interestingly is so good that they wont show it to us or name who did it.
    Great stuff there.

Looks like I wont be getting my Hendrix tattoo after all then.

Did you get many people to pay you to dig a hole in thier garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ah stop fighting lads, its stupid.

OP - it's up to you if you get this done or not. I got a tattoo of John Lennon done 6 years ago when I was 25. Its the cover of the imagine soundtrack

http://www.prato.linux.it/~lmasetti/canzonicontrolaguerra/img/imagine_lennon.jpg (just the cartoon, in black)

and the reasons I got it were: I love The Beatles, and I was really confused at that point in my life about where I wanted to go, what I wanted to do etc. I was getting freaked out about it, and went for a walk - I turned on my walkman (tape - was it really only 6 years ago) and the first words I heard were "There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you meant to be", and that was it - everything fell into place for me.

As far as the tattoo goes, I love it so much. Every day I see it and love it and am so glad I got it. It means so much to me. I have one on the other arm that means a lot too, but it's not a great job, and if I had the chance again, I wouldn't get it, but it doesn't bug me or anything, you forget to look at it. Neither can be seen unless I want them to be, because they are for me, not for show.
    It's your choice, but I would offer this piece of advice - Tattoos are like stamps, you should only get a picture of someone done once they are dead.

but thats just my opinion. Post a pic if you get it done.

Caimin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweety4uall

Also if its on your back no guy's is gonna want to do it doggy style while getting stared at by billy joe. could limit you in more then one way you know
    lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Blub2k4 wrote:
    In fairness I think a lot of us regulars on here think of it as a kind of duty to stop people getting bad tattoos and portraits are the hardest to do, there is no grey area, it either looks like someone or it does not.

The artist that I was told was "the only one worth bothering about" I cant remember the name of, but if you insist I can find it out for you.

The OP has already decided on an artist anyway so this is more than a little OT at this point.

Agreed with Blub on this one.The regulars here do try to advise people against "inappropriate" tattoos and in my experience Portraits are the hardest to do "correctly"
    Any tattoo artist can do a black/grey shade portrait but Ive seen some where the so called portrait looks nothing like the customer wanted it to look like.

And since the OP has already decided on the portrait then thats it the thread should be finished/over/closed etc.
    Marbh Im also in agreement here with Solitaryman--just answer the question regarding the artists you consider good at portraits and stop pussy footing around the point with stupid double/triple posts on the same point.

caimin wrote:
    Tattoos are like stamps, you should only get a picture of someone done once they are dead.
    Caimin

Best bit of advice i've heard about choosing subject for portrait work

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Degsy wrote:
    Did you get many people to pay you to dig a hole in thier garden?

And what has this got to do with the present discussion.Ive received a reported post about you and holding grudges from other forums.Consider this a warning--Next time its a 2 week ban.
    Richie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stimpy02

I personally think its her body. She has to live with it, we don't.
    Obviously everybody has a curiousty with doing the unusual and some of us acheive. But what appeals to our tastes may not be up another persons street. I wanted to get a tattoo of my sons name done but I personally think that he will always be in my memory and his existence doesn't need to be advertised. It all harks back to perception. When you and a friend are walking down the street and you see a puddle both look at it then see what you think it looks like. Its a good way to remind you that people see things in different ways.

:pThe world would be a boring place if we all were the same. Just look at the knackers and how miserable they are. they don't want to wear tracksuits they really want to wear tweed jackets with arm patches.
    Poor bastards and their dreams.

stimpy02 wrote:
    I personally think its her body. She has to live with it, we don't.
    Obviously everybody has a curiousty with doing the unusual and some of us acheive. But what appeals to our tastes may not be up another persons street. I wanted to get a tattoo of my sons name done but I personally think that he will always be in my memory and his existence doesn't need to be advertised. It all harks back to perception. When you and a friend are walking down the street and you see a puddle both look at it then see what you think it looks like. Its a good way to remind you that people see things in different ways.

:pThe world would be a boring place if we all were the same. Just look at the knackers and how miserable they are. they don't want to wear tracksuits they really want to wear tweed jackets with arm patches.
    Poor bastards and their dreams.

art is art and all that jazz, but a portrait either captures someones personal nuances and is immediately recognisable as them or it does not look like them, very few artists get it right every time to a high standard, taste does not enter into it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Shame you got so defensive over some free advice OP, much like your tattoo, its your choice whether you get it done or not and whether you listen to the advice or not.

Did you get it done? Givusagoo.

I reakon Ag Marbh is her bf or something...

[Offtopic]Ag Marbh, I assume its meant to mean "the dead", if so it should be "An Marbh/Na Marbh". You can get it changed if you ask nicely in System. [/offtopic]

Advertisement